Fork servicing - could I bribe someone to teach me (Sydney)

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Hi RBers,

Forks and shocks are the only things I don't service on my bikes, I was hoping I could bribe someone to walk me through the process, I've got a set of fox F-series I want to service for now and use for a practice run, in future I have a set of revelations a monarch and a RP2 shock to maintain. I'm expecting it to be fairly easy, I just don't have the confidence to start pulling them apart yet.

I'm in Glenbrook but can travel around Sydney. Maybe I could buy your new seals or something as payment.

ChopSticks

Banned
dont require payment, and happy to offer some fork oil I have (used for my old 34's which I no longer have use for)
I'm no fork expert, but I do know how to take off the lowers/service, and can happily walk you through the process/give hand if you want

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
dont require payment, and happy to offer some fork oil I have (used for my old 34's which I no longer have use for)
I'm no fork expert, but I do know how to take off the lowers/service, and can happily walk you through the process/give hand if you want
That would be much appreciated, surely you wouldn't turn down beer though?

driftking

Wheel size expert
I doubt many people will ask for payment.

I would encourage you to read your technical manuals on the forks, try find them online if you don't have the hard copy.
There are usually servicing videos online too to help aid you too.

It will be much easier if you understand the forks parts, I would not advise going in somewhat blind.

ChopSticks

Banned
It will be much easier if you understand the forks parts, I would not advise going in somewhat blind.
+1
download the correct manual, confirm oil levels required..... everything else is generic

That would be much appreciated, surely you wouldn't turn down beer though?
Have you done seals before or just lowers?
All good... honestly not a beer guy.... or a drinker for that matter.

seals/lowers is essentially same job.
Depending on the current condition of your seals, you can re-use them (assuming lips havent folded or been damaged).
Same goes for the foam rings, soak them in new oil and press it out.... repeat until foams look less soiled/ dirty.
clean inside of the fork lowers, grease up the seal, slide lowers back on (halfway) add correct amount of oil, push lowers further and reinstall bolts.

daunting at first... but pretty easy once youve done it a few times and know what to do.

Edit: actually... as payment you can buy a 3x pack of paper towels ;)

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
How about this?

Chops shows you how to service your lowers.

You give the beer to T-Rex, who likes beer, and is owed a favour by Chops.

What goes around, comes around......

ChopSticks

Banned
How about this?

Chops shows you how to service your lowers.

You give the beer to T-Rex, who likes beer, and is owed a favour by Chops.

What goes around, comes around......

sounds like a plan!!! OP.... ill take the beer.... I own T-rex a favour with some stuff he gave me!

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
OK suits me just fine, though the missus might start to get suspicious if I'm buying paper towel prior to "servicing forks" with strange men.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Yes I'll bring the lube. Actually waiting to hear back from fox regarding the oil volumes for my f125s as they're giant OEM and aren't listed on the fox website.