For thiose of you who still think you are too cool to wear a helmet...

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
http://www.theage.com.au/national/handy-country-gp-saves-boy-with-home-drill-20090520-beg7.html

Handy: country GP saves boy with home drill

* Reko Rennie
* May 20, 2009 - 9:56AM

The father of the 12-year-old Victorian boy saved by a country doctor who used a household drill to bore a hole in his skull has praised hospital staff, saying the procedure was carried out ''like a military operation''.

Michael Rossi's son, Nicholas, was not wearing a helmet when he fell off his bike late on Friday while riding outside a friend's house in Maryborough, 170 kilometres north-west of Melbourne.

But after he complained of a headache, his mother Karen, a trained nurse, took him to the district hospital, where he experienced spasms and periods of unconsciousness.

View Larger Map

The local GP, Rob Carson, recognised the symptoms of bleeding on the brain and realised he had only minutes to drill a hole to relieve the pressure on the boy's brain.

He obtained a drill from a maintenance room since the hospital was not equipped with neurological drills.

Over the telephone, Melbourne neurosurgeon David Wallace walked him through the procedure.

Mr Rossi told Radio 3AW today how Dr Carson told him and wife he had ''one shot at this''.

''They stabilised Nicholas to start off with (and) they put him under anaesthetic and then Dr Carson came out and he said that he had 'one shot at this' and said what he wants to do, is to drill into Nicholas' head to relieve pressure on the brain,'' Mr Rossi said.

Dr Carson drilled a hole just below the bruise mark, above Nicholas' ear, until a blood clot came out. He used forceps to increase the hole to about a centimetre in diameter, then inserted a drainage tube to keep the blood flowing out of the boy's skull.

"He said Dr Carson picked the right spot and that astounded him, he said to have actually picked the right spot to drill and to use the Black and Decker (as he called it), it's just astounding, it took a lot of guts.

''He said he just can't believe it,'' Mr Rossi said.

"It was just like a military operation, there was no panic, they just went about their job in a professional manner.

Mr Rossi described the entire experience as "surreal''.

"We didn't actually see anything, we heard the noises, we heard the drill and it's just one of those surreal experiences, you don't know how you would react in that situation,'' Mr Rossi said.

Nicholas was airlifted to Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital an hour later and was released on Tuesday - his 13th birthday.

Last edited:

nicho

Sacré bleu!
Great story. BUt i think you are high lighting the wrong side of the story.
KIds will be kids but what that doctor is astonishing.

nicho

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doc did damn good, but we need to try the experiment again with another kid crashing the same way but wearing a helmet to see if the helmet actually makes a difference. :p

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt

nicho
True, but many of these kids frequent these forums, and I'm quite certain that all involved in this story would prefer to not have been involved.

Particularly as there is a VERY good chance this kid would have simply died at home, because many of parents would not have taken him to hospital purely on the headache symptoms (luckily his mother was a nurse...)

Cue that story late last year of the famous American female personality who died from the same injury after skiing in Europe and waved off attending paramedics...

Doesn't matter how good you are or think you are, whether you are at the skate park, getting milk form the local, or cruising the streets, a simple knock to the head and it could all be over...

nicho

Sacré bleu!
Don't get me wrong i agree with you on the helmet thing wholeheartedly.
I read the article thinking the kid was just riding his k mart bike and fell and hit his on head on a pot of flower type of incident. I was so amazed at the surgery that completely disregarded who,why, how.

nicho

mlsred

Likes Dirt
we were told by doctors that if our mate was wearing his helmet it would have snapped his neck and left him paralised, all depends on the crash though, 99.99% of the time helmets will save your life

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Happened before in Smiggins Ski resort a lot of years back. Kid hit a pylon, went unconscious, stopped breathing, heart stoppped beating and one pupil blew up. The doc had worked in New Guinea and drilled a few holes. Kid woke up and was well in the end. Doctor was successfully sued as he "should have sent the kid to hospital for a neurosurgeon to do it". Nearest appropriate hospital was 8 hours + away. Wear a helmet.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
Happened before in Smiggins Ski resort a lot of years back. Kid hit a pylon, went unconscious, stopped breathing, heart stoppped beating and one pupil blew up. The doc had worked in New Guinea and drilled a few holes. Kid woke up and was well in the end. Doctor was successfully sued as he "should have sent the kid to hospital for a neurosurgeon to do it". Nearest appropriate hospital was 8 hours + away. Wear a helmet.
that really pisses me off, what was he supposed to do just watch the kid die. Do you know who sued him? the parents? if it was thats really really low, if someone saved my kids life no matter how I would be the one giving them ANYTHING.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quite amazing story. Props to the doctor to hold his nerve and actually do it, it must've been a very hard decision to make. To just drill through a kids skull with a household drill, damn!

firstaid50

Likes Dirt
i've stacked twice and both times i've gone head first ito the ground once i compleatly split my helmet in half luckily i always wear my helmet and i think it has saved my life

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mlsred - as I understand it the family were advised the treatment was inappropriate and a neurosurgeon testified the doc did the worng thing. Villain then, hero this week.

For Thoise of you who cant spell.....

But on a serious note, not wearing a helmet is for complete and utter toolbags.

I rode with to such wankers a few days ago.....They couldn't ride either!!!

Mica

Likes Dirt
Simple solution to the helmet debate, spend as much on your helmet as you think your head is worth.

See signature.

Jimass

Eats Squid

And if you look at his post, he actually tried to edit it, but didn't know how.

You need to click on edit, then advanced edit to edit the title.

Props to the doctor though, such an amazing experience.

unitec

Likes Dirt

The only toolbags are the self righteous morons that spend their life pointing their finger at someone else instead of looking at themselves
I always where a helmet myself but I don’t go criticizing others for their choices on safety equipment.
What about the hundreds of people getting head damage from slipping over in the shower or in car accidents. Are you suggesting that they wear helmets too or is there no band wagon for you guys to get on??
The value of any piece of safety equipment (including helmets) is different depending on the make up of the rider & the type of riding and it is always sad to see riders criticizing each other based on their own riding discipline & prejudices.
By far the biggest cause of rider injury is from riders riding beyond their ability often encouraged by the helmet wearing finger pointers.
Rant over

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
What about the hundreds of people getting head damage from slipping over in the shower or in car accidents. Are you suggesting that they wear helmets too or is there no band wagon for you guys to get on??
OK I see where you're coming from but if you think about what you've said rationally and logically..... well then it's stupid. When you compare the population of the world who have showers and the amount of injuries related to slipping in the shower then statistically speaking there's only really a bee's dick percentage of people that get injured in the shower. And about car crashes? You're comparing apples to dogs balls. Don't cars already have precautionary means such as seat belts, airbags, abs?
No? Still don't get it? Let me put it this way:

Factors that influence chances of slipping in shower: How tired you are, how much soap you've used, how much soap is on the surface of the shower

Factors that influence chances of bike accident: Wind, Road surface, Cars, Pedestrians, Dogs, Cats, Motorbikes, shit in eye, trucks, objects on road surface, speed of travel, visibility, awareness of drivers and pedestrians, road surface for those drivers and pedestrians, dogs and cats that could jump out infront of drivers and pedestrians, objects on the road for those drivers and pedestrians, wind effecting those drivers and pedestrians and motorbike riders, shit in drivers or pedestrians eyes that could distract them, car problems for drivers, speed of travel of drivers or pedestrians around, bicycle problems, people who don't abide by road rules - this list can go on and on and on

People who slip in showers could have easily avoided slipping if they were a little bit more careful in the shower. The only way to avoid a car that runs a red light, smashes and kills you, is to not ride at all.

If you're going to step out into the 'real world' where factors other than your own skill ability determine whether you'll come home alive, then if you're smart enough, and if you care enough about those who will suffer most from your death, then you'll wear a helmet.

By far the biggest cause of rider injury is from riders riding beyond their ability often encouraged by the helmet wearing finger pointers.
I'd really be interested to see where you pulled this utter pile of dog shit from. Would you mind providing the viewers with some kinda references that supports the fact that most accidents are caused due to the fact that people who wear helmets, tell people who don't wear helmets, to try things outside of their ability?

Have you even spent a thought as to WHY people have such issues with people not wearing helmets? I mean how would you like it if your son rode a bike, came off, hit his head on a curb and became a vegetable? You'd spend the rest of your life looking after him. How would you feel as that son? How would you feel as the father/mother/sister/brother? THINK ABOUT IT.

It's plain and simple, if you're going to do something that could potentially harm yourself beyond repair, then take precautionary measures to minimize the potential damages. AND, quite simply, if you still choose to run the risk WITHOUT wearing any kind of protection, then you're clearly a 'band wagon jumper' and you clearly don't give a fuck about your 'loved ones'... after all, it is your loved ones that will be effected the most by having to feed you through a straw and clean your shit soiled pants because you're a paraplegic.

God the stupidity and selfishness and ignorance that flutters around these forums is incredible

nicho
No Nicho, it is YOU who is missing the story. The point is that black and decker tools are fkn awesome.

Last edited: