Focus - Shock IN toptube

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last edited:

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Fuel EX's have two bottle mounts. Well the Al one I had did, not too sure about the carbon ones..

Definitely a weight weenie/race bike though, no doubt about it. The shock hardware might not be too light on - the riders probably have more to worry about with rims.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be worried about a low dangler getting caught in the shock :p
Oh FFS, that old chestnut.. This is a standard comment on any bike with a top tube mounted shock.

a) You ride naked do you?
b) You're flattering yourself immensely I'm sure
c) You're an idiot, stop typing.

Similar to the Pronghorn, probably a good place for a shock, keeps it out of danger.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Oh FFS, that old chestnut.. This is a standard comment on any bike with a top tube mounted shock.

Similar to the Pronghorn, probably a good place for a shock, keeps it out of danger.
But does it ride as well as a conventionally mounted shock? I'd call the person who buys this an idiot, not the guy making fun of what is obviously not a very good design.

nskz

Likes Dirt

Dude chill, he was obviously taking the piss....

Don't particularly see any benefit from these designs, they still effectively have a full top tube so weight saving would be tiny if any; i'd rather have the weight down low.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Mate if you didn't detect the sarcasm in his post, and then also overlooked the smiley face with tongue sticking out and still thought it was a serious concern to him that his wang may get pinched, then you should seriously reconsider whether the online community is right for you.

Back on topic, I reckon it looks sweet. I like when designers can integrate things like this, and if it can be done in a way that is also effective, bring it on.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Guess it keeps it out of the way of muck flicking off both wheels.

Only problem I see is if you have some sort of bike rack / bike stand that mounts on the top tube.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Guess it keeps it out of the way of muck flicking off both wheels.

Only problem I see is if you have some sort of bike rack / bike stand that mounts on the top tube.
Racing bikes are typically not made with the thought of whether the rack on mum and dad's Magna will work with the frame. They're made to look fast and tip trendy weight benchmarks - which I'm sure this does!

- Joel

Exie

Likes Dirt
Don't particularly see any benefit from these designs, they still effectively have a full top tube so weight saving would be tiny if any; i'd rather have the weight down low.
I saw this bike at the AusBike show recently, it was definitely super light, not so much for the weight saved in to top tube, but all the pivots and mounts, it all adds up.

The thing that would annoy the hell out of me is cleaning, I cant imagine pulling the shock out to clean that channel in the top tube behind it.

Though I suspect people with bikes like these probably have other poor bastards to do the cleaning for them. :)