foam pit design- need help!

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do you plan to keep the foam dry?
If you have side walls then the foam has to be above the top of the walls otherwise a tarp will sag down and slowly leak into the foam once the rain puddles...
It's hard to work out how to do it because any cover needs to be cheap, easily moved and able to keep a large area dry etc.
Something to think about.

How do you plan to keep the foam dry?
If you have side walls then the foam has to be above the top of the walls otherwise a tarp will sag down and slowly leak into the foam once the rain puddles...
It's hard to work out how to do it because any cover needs to be cheap, easily moved and able to keep a large area dry etc.
Something to think about.
All you need is a tarp with a pole in the middle of the foam pit about 1.5 meters higher than the side walls to hold it up with a small hole where the pole pokes through.
:D

manglicas

Likes Bikes
This all sounds great but im sure theres one thing on sockamans mind still how much is it all going to cost becasue i was thinking about doing something similar and cost is always a killer
Thats why you raid the off cut bins at places like clark rubber at night they dont like to tell you that at the end of the week that they have a fare bit of foam and rubber left over they just want to make money

GC_DJer

Cannon Fodder
A mate just made the foam pit for the air dome at whistler.

It's 28 feet long, 20 feet wide and 6 foot deep. Theres also $26,000 worth of foam in it. Very expensive but good fun though.

the foam your refering to in your post is the american standard fireproof foam that is needed to be used in amerian gymnastic foam pics and the likes, this foam cost $4 Us for a 8 cm cubed block. off cuts are the way to go, i am currently in the process of building my own foam pit and i have gathered a few old high jump mats from school that they were going to take to the tip, theres alot of foam in one of those, ask your teacher if their are plans of throwing them out from your school, he might be able to help out, and dnt teachers usally have many contacts in industrial businesses ask if he knows anyone in the foam industry and try and get some offcuts their

just my little bit

knoxy

Likes Bikes
A friend of mine made a foam pit. it was made entirely of offcuts which he got for free. the main downside was that it took 2 years to gather all the foam.

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A friend of mine made a foam pit. it was made entirely of offcuts which he got for free. the main downside was that it took 2 years to gather all the foam.
I sue he has finished his progect seeming that this fourm is over 1 year old:rolleyes:

Kane.

Likes Dirt
Go around to a foam pits company bin and im sure there off cuts of foam are chucked away and they just try to make money off selling there off cuts.

wombatz

Squid
me 2

hey im buuilding one to at the moment and i know that the size is about 4x6 but what height should the wall be and the size of the ramp?:D

drewmtb

Likes Dirt
hey about the foam
juust go down to the dumpa and get a few matresses for the bottom and you can go to clark rubber and ask for the of cuts. they should just give them to you

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
hey about the foam
juust go down to the dumpa and get a few matresses for the bottom and you can go to clark rubber and ask for the of cuts. they should just give them to you
They charge you for off cuts. It's not free.