Fluid Tantrum Questions

I have recently bought a Fluid Tantrum from Anaconda. I have been using it for trails and dirt jumps but wanted to get into downhill.

I was wondering wether it would be able to handle this or whether i need a different bike?:confused:

Specs:

Frame: Full Lightweight Alloy
Fork: Suntour Duro 130mm
Rear shock: n/a
Headset: A Head set
Derailleur Front: Shimano Deore
Rear: Shimano Deore
Cranks: Shimano Alivio
Shifters: Alivio
Cassette: Shimano HG 40-8 Speed
Hubs: Shimano 475 Hubs
Rims: Weinnman Taurus 2000 Alloy Rims
Tires: Maxxis Mahns Venture 26 + 2.35
Brakes: Tektro Auroga Hydraulic Disk
Pedals: VP
Stem:
Seatpost: WTB
Saddle: WTB
Grips: WTB

Attachments

Last edited:

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Because you're just starting out downhill I think the bike would be fine. I started racing Downhill on a cross country hard tail (a bike FAR worse than yours, and by far i mean REALLY CRAP) with v-brakes back when I was younger, and this was fine because I wasn't that good a rider. Slowly and surely you will progress and find that the bike won't handle the new things you want to do - you'll start saying to yourself "i can't go fast enough through this section because of X factor, or I can't take this gnarly drop onto a rock garden because I know that the bike wont' handle it" - only then will you need a new bike. So really, you're the only person that can determine whether or not you need a new bike.

Good Luck and happy riding :)

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I assume you mean Illanbah and other DH tracks like that. To be completely honest your bike really wouldn't be able to cope with it, but that does depend.

If you are there to go reasonably slow down the track, no high speed stuff then you probably would just cope, because a guy I know has ridden it on a Cannondale Lefty Hardtail, but he did have a lot of skin missing so it is a hard one I guess.

But everything on your little hardtail is probably quite limited as to what it can handle, because Illanbah is a very fast and rough track, so without decent brakes you won't be stopping therefore going over berms and into tree's etc, but as I said if you take it really really slow you would be fine.

All in all I think if you were to get into the DH scene more maybe try and sell it and get a second hand DH bike off here in the For Sale section, or maybe even keep it for a bike like a STP do it all kinda.

Hope that anwered some of your questions.

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Why did you take the front derailleur off? You still have the triple rings. I suggest you should put it back on. It acts as a chain guide and you also get a much wider gear selection.

Jaskel

Likes Dirt
im thinking of getting one too....how is it?? how tall are u guys and how does it feel?

norco01

Likes Dirt
I assume you mean Illanbah and other DH tracks like that. To be completely honest your bike really wouldn't be able to cope with it, but that does depend.

If you are there to go reasonably slow down the track, no high speed stuff then you probably would just cope, because a guy I know has ridden it on a Cannondale Lefty Hardtail, but he did have a lot of skin missing so it is a hard one I guess.

But everything on your little hardtail is probably quite limited as to what it can handle, because Illanbah is a very fast and rough track, so without decent brakes you won't be stopping therefore going over berms and into tree's etc, but as I said if you take it really really slow you would be fine.

All in all I think if you were to get into the DH scene more maybe try and sell it and get a second hand DH bike off here in the For Sale section, or maybe even keep it for a bike like a STP do it all kinda.

Hope that anwered some of your questions.
Obviously didnt see the guy doing the track on singlespeed stp with hayes mx2's and DJ 3's then.

He coped pretty damn well, was riding faster than some of the other guys on 2500 DH bikes on the first 2 runs down from what i could see.

Just go for it mate.