floor pump just DESTROYED non-folding bead?!

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
was setting up some Continetal Mountain King 2 non-folding (old style cheap from wiggle) took them to 30psi 4 times with still some sections not popping onto the bead. so i took them to 60psi (rated 65psi max) momentarily and BOOM the bead blew apart striking my brand new carbon rims! no visible damge to rims, but who knows about internal fractures.

has this happened to anyone before and is it the reason that conti has brought out a upgraded folding version of this tire.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since the bead is wire and doesn't stretch as much as a folding rubber bead would, I'm not surprised this happened. Max pressure of the tyre is probably only 45PSI.

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
i will be honest...this is my first time setting up tubeless, so my virginity popped in a big way

tire clearly states 65psi max. if i exceeded the rim max pressure, would the rim not of failed instead of the tyre?

wiggle seems to think its not my fault as within 20mins of sending an email they offered me a replacement and upgrade to the new non folding version.

styler

Likes Dirt
I run continentals x kings and have never had a problem. The recommended pressure is 50psi and sometimes I need that to get them to seat.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The bead blew apart? Wow, that probably the last place I would expect a tyre to fail. I've never seen that happen and find it quite odd as inflating the tyre would not put pressure on the bead so much as the only movement in it would be to get it to seat in the rim.
Are the tyres used? Is there a crack line down the down the side wall? Seems odd.

ChopSticks

Banned
Are you sure you didn't exceed max psi of the RIM?
not sure what OP's carbons rims are from.... but the Light bicycle ones are rated at 40psi (I recall)
Even Enve have a max of 45psi... so 60psi is wayyyy too much.

if you have problems seating the bead....... you're better off with soapy water or baby powder than cranking the pressure.

did you have problems with getting the tyre ONTO the rim? Good stuff wiggle came through!
Hopefully your rims arent damaged !

edit: post a picture of the failed tyre! curious to see how it failed? (bead ripping from bulk of tyre?)

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
i bought them from wiggle a month ago. but they were on special and no longer available. leads me to suggest they could be very old and possibly damaged, causing a weak spot in the bead.

pictures speak a thousand words

2014-06-25 19.22.27.jpg

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
they are light cycle carbons...so whoops i really hope the rims arent damaged from over pressure and the explosion

the tyre was an absolute bitch to get on....had to use levers after my hands started cramping! and also had copious amount of soapy water during installation AND seating

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
i do not want to think about the concussive force those little puppies dropped into my brand new rim. guess i will find out the true extent one day on the trail haha.

ChopSticks

Banned
all that weight saving with carbon rims.. and you slap on a wire bead tyre LOL

Hopefully the folding bead is more forgiving!..... out of curiosity... are your light bicycle rims the hookless versions?
I would inspect the inside 'bead' of the rim and check of cracks from the exploding tyre, make a note of where it is and monitor it (bulging etc)

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
ok i will be honest...im a newbie to all this and didnt know anything about the difference in tires.

yep the new 33m hookless version. i know where it is on the rim and will be keeping an eye on it.

teK--

Eats Squid
i will be honest...this is my first time setting up tubeless, so my virginity popped in a big way

tire clearly states 65psi max. if i exceeded the rim max pressure, would the rim not of failed instead of the tyre?

wiggle seems to think its not my fault as within 20mins of sending an email they offered me a replacement and upgrade to the new non folding version.
When you have two parts which interface with each other you never exceed the limit of the lower-rated part.

In this case the rim didn't explode but it sure didn't hang onto the tyre enough to prevent it blowing off.

Wiggle's customer service are great; if there is an ounce of doubt that it's your fault they will usually accept responsibility.

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
I haven't been able to find a max psi rating fot my carbon havens so I've kept it below 45 for seating beads.

Doubt exceeding the guidelines would cause any damage unless ridden at those pressures putting full force on the rim?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
all that weight saving with carbon rims.. and you slap on a wire bead tyre LOL
This .. The Mountain Kings come in a UST version! (Not light at 900gr for the 2.2 but they don't leak sealant out the flimsy sidewalls like, say, light Schwalbes...)

Have to wonder whether the hookless design is partly responsible for the blow-out. I've read the Enve / Light-Bicycles propaganda but I just can't see how it's really better for there to be no hooks for the bead ...

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
i cant comment on the hookless ability to retain tyres, but im fairly certain that the slightly weaker sidewalls of the hooked rim would of cracked with the force of this blow out.

and yes, these tyres were meant to be sealant compatible but i dont see how with the crazy thin and porous looking side wals as mentioned.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
ok i will be honest...im a newbie to all this
im fairly certain that the slightly weaker sidewalls of the hooked rim would of cracked with the force of this blow out.
That's a massive claim based on your one observation.....

The (lack of) hook not holding the tyre would have just led to the tyre blowing off....
This failure was clearly to do with the wire bead...

Schwalbe tyres are perfectly durable and great for tubeless applications.....

I've yet to find a tyre across 4 brands and many models that wouldn't work tubeless