floating disc system

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
I have a Merida 150, and it has a floating disc system, i like it but its coasting me alot of money because every time i go for rides the brake arm bends either in or out, it's starting to annoy me heaps,
i have thourt of taking the floating disc system of but befor i do is there any one who can help me with this problem?

cheers,
alex,

thanx heaps for any ideas

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
You'd be safe enough removing the floating brake system...all it means is that brake-jack will be slightly more pronounced. Can't say I've seen a 1-5-0 with one to be honest though it isn't exactly a common bike.

I don't actually understand what is happening though. Is it just loose or poorly set up?

Take a photo if you can.

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
ok sweet thanx, yes i can organize some pictures, give me 2 days,
and the brake arm is loose but all the bike shops say its ment to be loose or it wont preform

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Most floating brake systems operate by means of bearings of some sort, negating the need for it to be loose. I think brake system might not be set up correctly, or else, in need of an overhaul or something.

Try taking it off and seeing how that goes. You might find it (brake jack) is indistinguishable anyways!

haritone

Likes Dirt
I've never seen the Merida system but I have a Kona w/ DOPE Floating brake setup and my 'brake arm' is definitely not loose. It has no lateral play (which sounds like what you're experiencing) and little-to-no rotation.

From my experience, a floating brake is something you can live without, so take it off it's causing you grief. But if there's an easy way for you to just tighten it up then I wouldn't be afraid of trying it.

Good luck

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
thanx al, I'm still looking for ideas and there will be pictures coming soon,

i have trying taking the brake arm of but then the brake takes a while to kick in,,

thanx again, if there is any more answers, please let me now

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is it?

I could imagine some amount of play in the system due to bushings, hard to diagnose without being familiar with it though.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If its as shown above, I don't think there would be a way to run it with out the floating brake.

That image would explain why it takes a while for the brake to come on when you remove the arm as the brake mount would have to come around and rest on the frame before it would work.

What part is bending?
Sure its not just the rotor rubbing on the brake pads. If it has hayes brakes my old el camino's were real bad for it, not sure what the strokers are like.
I can't see how you could bend the arm or mount unless you crashed.

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
yer, thats it, an yer I'm 100% sure its not the brake pads, (i took pictures today, but cant find the camera cord to download them to my computer),

i have seen people that have taken the system off, the umf freddy (http://www.umf-bikes.com/ are also made buy merida) have the same thing but doesn't come with the system built on,

pics will be up soon asap,

i have a picture of one of the brake arms i had for 4 months till it was unusable,

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Surprising it would bend, you'd expect it to be in tension not compression, although I guess it could kick back a bit when the wheel is locked up.

Or am I looking at it wrong?

Bodin

GMBC
Surprising it would bend, you'd expect it to be in tension not compression, although I guess it could kick back a bit when the wheel is locked up.

Or am I looking at it wrong?
no, your looking at it right, it flexes when i sit on it and have the brake on too.
I think it's bending the brake arm when the brake is on and the suspension is rebounding. Either way, based on what's in this thread (which is not conclusive), it looks like there is potential for it to be a design issue.

Have you spoken directly to a Merida dealer? Or even to Merida? It wouldn't be the first time Merida have had a design issue with a production bike and I've found them incredibly helpful in the past.

MrSafety

Likes Dirt
Thats very odd, wouldn't putting the brake on make the pole try to straiten out?

Edit, my bad didn't see the other posts

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
nope, the break arm just flexes,

I'm i have talking to two merida dealers, dad said he is going to get the merida company's number, and ill talk to them bout it,

I'm still open for more ideas if any one as something similar to my bike design, who hasn't had this problem, or as had this problem, please tell me

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
hmmmm, spanky's confused here...

from the layout.. where the 'brake arm' is puts it in tension when the brakes are on...

so to bend it, wouldn't you have to brake while rolling backwards? Putting the 'floater arm' in compression and hence bending it? WHen do forces like that occur during riding?

In the Kona Dope system the 'brake arm' is in compression during braking?

still a very confused pig...

s

Last edited:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Sorry, spankys not saying you ride backwards.. but how did the last one fail? That's a lot of bending in that arm

S

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
the other one bent just by riding, the bike shop where i got the new arm from said its from jumping, but arnt freeride bikes made to do jumps and drops?

could it be something to do with my weight? (I'm 14, 6ft 1 and weigh 75-kilos)