Fixed MTB, please tell me I'm not alone

Mica

Likes Dirt
Considering the number of people still confused by singlespeeds even with the number of 29er singles around now I think I may be a touch lonely with this concept, especially since the hipster craze has moved on somewhat.

After a few years of contemplation (my first introduction was years ago from a kiwi in Rotorua who was missing quite a few teeth so you can see the reason for my initial hesitation) and a shed of spare parts I've decided to finally give it a go. Treated my much loved but recently neglected surly 1x1 to a dust off, a new coat of paint, a couple of forum purchases, some shorter cranks (I'll need those) and a new drivetrain including a cog that bolts onto the disc mount on the hub (http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopdisc.html for those stupid enough to follow suit) it's ready to go.

Gave it a quick blast on a collection of disused walking tracks and trails that I am fortunate enough to be 100m away from (P.S. Thanks for the work over the school holidays kids, loving some of your work, though other parts are stark raving mad) and surprisingly it wasn't as terrifying as expected. Unlike a large fixed road gear the smaller dirt gear doesn't buck quite as hard when you have a brain fart and forget to pedal, though that may change when I get on some real trails and try to negotiate some bigger obstacles.

Looking forward to getting this thing out and seeing what happens (as are my mates). Will be a fun way to make some of the more mundane trails and rides more interesting.

For one thing though it makes for a clean looking bike....
WP_20140101_004.jpg
WP_20140101_007.jpg
"Skid in ya pants, not the trail" good advice and trust me I will be doing a bit of that with this bike.
WP_20140101_008.jpg

Once I get more acquainted with the bike or released from hospital depending on which happens first (to those selling armor on the forum I may be in touch...) I'll post some updates, though sadly having a mortgage, wife, two kids, and a suite of bikes all screaming for attention don't wait up for an update.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are quite a few guys who do,
I have been considering trying it on some very sedate single track while riding with the wife.
Just swap my driver out on the SS for a track cog.

moorey

call me Mia
Dear god. If you want to make riding more dangerous, just use an angry taipan for handlebars. :noidea:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nor my idea of fun at all.. But good to see you trying something a little different

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Bike does look sweet though well done.
I could get into single speed as a training tool but fixie I don't understand.
Great to experiment with new shit though. All part of the fun.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was racing a marathon in Slovakia a few years ago and was passed going up hill. I noticed the bike had no front disc- or Vbrake, then to the rear- same.
This old guy was racing a fixie with no brakes!

The race was 76km with around 2000M of climbing (and of course descending). I re passed him on a flat section a bit later and then saw him after the race carrying the bike with a folded chainring, he'd made it about 2/3rd thru. Madman.....

mattwilkinson

Likes Dirt
Has a look at that disc hub sprocket website.... Cool idea
Surprised they had a lifetime warranty!

Until i saw this:
"cog must be run in both directions evenly and flipped frequently"

Get ready to do 50,000K's backwards ;D

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that's well cool! I ran one as a bit of a muck around thing for a week or two with a dodgey home made one and a granny ring. a ratio of 1:1 fixed is not fun for trail riding! your legs WILL be jelly, how ever you can do skids sitting down! sick as dude! glad to see im not the only one who likes fixed because they like it and not because its hipster

el~rio

Likes Dirt
I've been toying with the idea for a while to get a fixed commuter with heaps of tire clearance, disk brakes and relaxed angles. Makes a bit more sense in my head than a track bike with a brake bolted on and could be used to spice up tame MTB rides.

If you decide to keep going with it Surly make a 135mm disk hub with a thread for a fixed gear.

HU287F00.jpg

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally I think a fixed MTB is a stupid idea!

1. How are you meant to go downhill fast?
2. You can't coast (see point 1)
3. You won't be able to jump...however you could do awesome ET's over jumps! :p
4. How are you meant to clear your cranks over obstacles? As at times you won't be able to dictate crank position

Single speed freewheel I understand, but not fixed!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
1. How are you meant to go downhill fast?
Pedal fast

2. You can't coast (see point 1)
Well that is the point

3. You won't be able to jump...however you could do awesome ET's over jumps! :p
I can't, and sounds like you can't but that doesn't mean other people can't

4. How are you meant to clear your cranks over obstacles? As at times you won't be able to dictate crank position
You move the whole bike. It's not as big an issue as you think.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
At the Scott a number of years ago I passed a bloke who called himself B-rad (I think it was?) who did the race 24 solo on a fixed bike. I think it may have even been rigid(?!). We chatted briefly out on track a couple of times and he talked about bunny hopping his back wheel in tech sections to get his cranks in the right position. Not sure how many laps he did. The thing was, I saw him the following monday morning in the city - I was in there for a meeting and he turned up next to me with a package: at work as a bike courier!! Insane stuff.

moorey

call me Mia
Plain stupid.....but then some people prefer stupidity in the search for individualism.
Are you sure you want to agree with me AGAIN? :behindsofa:
Dear god. If you want to make riding more dangerous, just use an angry taipan for handlebars.
@OP. Your life cobber. I'm personally not into making things more dangerous, less fun, and more difficult just for the sake of it. Enjoy.