Fitting imperial shock into metric bike.

CR500

Squid
Ive already been thinking of shock upgrades for my Polygon D7 and have seen plenty of shocks available in imperial sizes. Just wondering if it only entails a change in eye bushings in the imperial shock to fit my metric bike, or it is more involved than that?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Ive already been thinking of shock upgrades for my Polygon D7 and have seen plenty of shocks available in imperial sizes. Just wondering if it only entails a change in eye bushings in the imperial shock to fit my metric bike, or it is more involved than that?
Looks like the D7 is a 190x45. The equivalent imperial shock is a 190x51, so it’d be the same overall length, but the extra 6mm travel may or may not be an issue depending on whether there is clearance for the suspension to go deeper into travel. If that all works out, you’d be roughly going from 120 to 135mm travel depending on the bikes kinematic so.

I did the same thing on my Norco, but it needed offset bushings for clearance (and I wanted to play with the geometry) and I was increasing travel at the front too to match. I had to make dummy shocks to check clearance before I started buying shocks as it was tight.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like the D7 is a 190x45. The equivalent imperial shock is a 190x51, so it’d be the same overall length, but the extra 6mm travel may or may not be an issue depending on whether there is clearance for the suspension to go deeper into travel. If that all works out, you’d be roughly going from 120 to 135mm travel depending on the bikes kinematic so.

I did the same thing on my Norco, but it needed offset bushings for clearance (and I wanted to play with the geometry) and I was increasing travel at the front too to match. I had to make dummy shocks to check clearance before I started buying shocks as it was tight.
This is why I love this place. Fucking great reply mate, very detailed and answered the question. Nice one.

CR500

Squid

Yes, it does have a 190x45mm and I have checked clearance and linkage operation and going to 190x51 would be no problem, even 57mm stroke would be OK. What I was wondering though is about mounting hardware. If I buy an imperial sized shock, will standard metric hardware fit the shock or will imperial hardware fit the bike? If metric hardware wont fit the shock, I take it conversion bushes are available?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Yes, it does have a 190x45mm and I have checked clearance and linkage operation and going to 190x51 would be no problem, even 57mm stroke would be OK. What I was wondering though is about mounting hardware. If I buy an imperial sized shock, will standard metric hardware fit the shock or will imperial hardware fit the bike? If metric hardware wont fit the shock, I take it conversion bushes are available?
It’s not an imperial / metric thing, it varies by brand. If you’re sticking to the same brand it’s not an issue.

https://www.tftuned.com/tech-help/71-mount-kits-and-bushings-for-rear-shocks