Fitting an E2 XT front derailleur to a 2013 Specialized Epic Frame

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Has anyone here successfully fitted an XT or XTR type E2 front derailleur to a 2013 Specialized Epic frame ?
Can I trouble to take a photo of how it's supposed to fit ?

With the current bracket, the holes doesn't have really match up to the mounting holes on the XT front der.
The shop where I bought it from, said that I can't use Shimano front der on my frame full stop.

But I'm sure the s-works xtr model had an xtr front derailleur on.

The Sram X7 one that it's currently on the bike is on it's last legs and the constant rubbing is driving me nuts.

Maybe I should do 1x10 conversion after all.

Cheers

gc49

Likes Bikes
Yes, I put an E2 XTR 985 on my 13 Epic Expert Carbon.

The X7 should have a mounting plate it's attached to that then attaches to the bike (from memory, there's 3 holes in it. the rear one has a screw directly to the frame, the middle is the rear FD bolt and ends up in the middle of the pivot, and the front lets the front FD bolt pass through and then do up into the frame). You need this to put the E2 type on. Word of warning, you'll probably need a new bolt for the rear FD hole, as the X7 has it countersunk with a matching bolt, but the shimano one will need a normal bolt).

I'll try to look into a photo later if that doesn't help you.

gc49

Likes Bikes
ok, here's a pic. Sorry for how dusty it is, I rode the Fling on Sunday, and work's kept me from cleaning it off since then.

E2 FD on Epic.jpg

Attachments

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Thanks gc49 ! where did you get that bolt for the rear mounting hole from ?
I will need a new cable as well I think as the cable needs to go around to get it to bottom pull.

Did you do the full or half fling ?
my thighs are still tender from the full fling cramps.

gc49

Likes Bikes
The bolt I used was actually one from the seatpost bottle cage clamps which came with the bike and I don't use. I can't remember, but you might be right about needing a longer cable.

Only half, not fit enough for the full, but it was still a fun ride.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
The bolt I used was actually one from the seatpost bottle cage clamps which came with the bike and I don't use. I can't remember, but you might be right about needing a longer cable.

Only half, not fit enough for the full, but it was still a fun ride.
Thanks again gc49 luckily I have a spare bottle cage bolt.
Installed and no more chain rubbing, shifts with a lot less effort too compared to the Sram X7