First PIVOT firebird here in WA! So I had to PIMP IT!

Everard

Likes Bikes
I have to say, went out for my next night ride with the 90mm stem, I had a mate that had one so the trial was definitely a cheap one. And felt much better on the cornering and the climbs. However i dont want to lose the characteristics of the bike and what its purpose is for. So I think I will settle on an 80mm stem.
However the bike will teach me to pick better lines. The bottom bracket is much lower than my Blurlt and my Mach4. So I did go over the bars when I hit the chain ring on rocks that I would normally roll over with the other two bikes. However this bike does corner well and steam rolls down hills, so it's finding that balance of what you want the bike to be extremely good at, and you have to compromise on the other styles of riding that it is not so perfect at.. However on fairly challenging rides where other riders went to granny gear and got chain suck....this puppy allowed me to push the pedals in the second chain ring and power on past them. And that is a big plus.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The bb is 25mm higher on the FB than the Mach 4. Have you got the sag on the rear shock sorted out properly? I don't have any problems with pedal strikes or riding through rocks and the bb height is one of the things i really like about the bike.:)

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I know whith my Ironhorse MK3 that using DW Link suspension it works on 35-45% sag. This was straight from the IH team manager in the US. I would assume all bikes using DW Link would be the same set up. I get no pedal bob going up, and it's nice and plush for pointing it down hill.

Everard

Likes Bikes
The bb is 25mm higher on the FB than the Mach 4. Have you got the sag on the rear shock sorted out properly? I don't have any problems with pedal strikes or riding through rocks and the bb height is one of the things i really like about the bike.:)
Crank please tell me what you did! Yeah according to Pivot the Mach 4 is 12.8 but the Firebird is 13.85. So you are right. Just over 1 inch.
So maybe I have not got the sag right? I am running a DHX on the back as you can see. I am 105 kilos and right now I have about 260psi in it.
I just guaged it by sitting on the bike and getting off and getting it close to 30%. But I am not too sure what to do about the mini booster valve or what to set the other features of this shock too?

I love everything about the bike except for the surprise hits I get from underneath. What do you recommend?

Everard

Likes Bikes
wow... nice.
ditto on the spec list!

Have you tested it yet?
I was thinking of either a Mach5 or Firebird for my next bike. Would be good to hear your first impressions!
Truvativ XC Carbon Cranks ( Gold Nugget )
Elixer CR Brake kit
Ignitor on the front 2.35 and Crossmark on the back 2.1
XO rear derailleur and cassette (Gold Nugget)
Dura-race chain
XO trigger set carbon (Gold Nugget)
Chris King head set
Gold hadley Hubs
Pro lock brass nipples
Champion silver spokes
Saw Blade rotors from Jet Black
Phenom saddle (not pictured)
36 Talas RC2 1.5inch
DHX rear shock
ODI lockons with gold clamps
Firebird Frame

Have not got around to weighing it yet. But it's not the lightest bike.
But that is because I chose a heavier wheel set. I have a light bike already in my Mach 4. So this is a perfect training and fun bike.

Mach 5 and Firebird are very different bikes. I have a Blur LT which I would think is closer to the Mach5. If you want a lighter do it all bike then the Mach 5 would be a great choice. However because I have a Mach 4. And that bike can take a beating. And the Firebird is a great climber. I have no place for my Blur LT any more and am selling it.
But the 5 inch travel bike was a great all rounder for me and I love riding it. In fact, at this stage I can ride better on that than the Firebird at the moment. As i am still getting used to the bike. Going to a longer fork and a much slacker angle has been a big change for me. Learning to corner hard without braking and then powering out has been a challenge these last two rides. Whereas on the Blur I can bomb into corners, drift and power out with confidence. I know I will get there with the Firebird. I just need to ride it more. Admittedly both rides so far have been at night and although I am a confidant night rider. It does take away some senses that are valuable to you when learning to tame a new beast.

Last edited:

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Awesome Firebird. Definitely a dream build. Well Done.

Got any more info on the Blur LT? I might be interested.

G-Man

Likes Dirt
pretty certain, and without even googling, thats not carbon.

but other than the above, very nice bike.
Yea actualy - Aloy main frame and rear stays - the Big top rocker is all Carbon
and the Lower is CNC Gold Anodised aloy and freekin sweeeeet ..

Great bike - Have riden and rate them very nice units..

G-man outy

starship303

Likes Dirt
Really nice machine, Everard.

Have you considered going a dual-ring + bashie setup on the front? This will definitely help your clearance issues, and improve your confidence through technical sections (though it doesn't obviously influence pedal height). At least this is what I found when I changed to a dual setup on my Intense 55.

Enjoy your new beast. :)

Everard

Likes Bikes
Really nice machine, Everard.

Have you considered going a dual-ring + bashie setup on the front? This will definitely help your clearance issues, and improve your confidence through technical sections (though it doesn't obviously influence pedal height). At least this is what I found when I changed to a dual setup on my Intense 55.

Enjoy your new beast. :)

Hey mate, nice bike yourself! Yes I did see another mates bike with that setup. I will think about it in the future. However my nice carbon chain ring and cranks all match at the moment with the black and gold and they look so sweet! I figure I will perservere and let the bike change the way i ride.
I re-checked my sag and found I was a little too low. And my compression dampening was virtually non existant. So I have ramped it up all the way. Going for a ride tonight. Same track so i will see how that rates.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crank please tell me what you did! Yeah according to Pivot the Mach 4 is 12.8 but the Firebird is 13.85. So you are right. Just over 1 inch.
So maybe I have not got the sag right? I am running a DHX on the back as you can see. I am 105 kilos and right now I have about 260psi in it.
I just guaged it by sitting on the bike and getting off and getting it close to 30%. But I am not too sure what to do about the mini booster valve or what to set the other features of this shock too?

I love everything about the bike except for the surprise hits I get from underneath. What do you recommend?
I think you're a prime candidate for a coil shock. The DHX Air will blow through it's travel on the FB if you don't run a bit more pressure than recommended if you are over about 85kg. I've tried mine with a CCDB and it felt excellent but find it runs more sag than i want using the same spring rate as i did on my Nomad. I haven't tried it with a stiffer spring yet.

Everard

Likes Bikes
I think you're a prime candidate for a coil shock. The DHX Air will blow through it's travel on the FB if you don't run a bit more pressure than recommended if you are over about 85kg. I've tried mine with a CCDB and it felt excellent but find it runs more sag than i want using the same spring rate as i did on my Nomad. I haven't tried it with a stiffer spring yet.
Well to really confess I am also on a diet and wanting to get down to 95 kilos!
haha. I was there last year and am riding hard to get there soon. Trouble is I am still fit to go for 5-6 hour epics. But I just chow the house down after!
So I hope I dont have to resort to a coil shock. And spend more money.

I ramped up the compression dampening tonight. But all the way. And the bike felt like a darn hardtail. So I wound it back a little and it felt a little more plush. But it is still not right. I will keep experimenting tho.

Everard

Likes Bikes
Ride number 2

Felt a lot more comfortable on the Firebird this time around. Bombing on the fast flowing single track and throw some descents in there too. And I am loving it. On the uphills and technical stuff I found winding up the progressive reservoir all the way a mistake. It was a much stiffer feel. I think I like my travel more linear. However getting the travel to 25% and then counting my camelback with 3 litres of water is a nice place to be. It's just a little daunting that I have to pump the shock up to 280 psi to achieve this.

However I put the digital fish hook scales on the bike today at the bike shop and it weighs 15 kilos or 33 pounds.

Cant wait to ride it again. Learning to tame this beast has brought a new and exciting element to my recreation time.

haritone

Likes Dirt
It's just a little daunting that I have to pump the shock up to 280 psi to achieve this.
That's no reason to go on a diet! :p
I know of guys running near 300psi in their shock and they're smaller than you - it's got a lot to do with leverage ratios. I'm sub 80kg and run 200psi in my RP2, so 280psi doesn't seem crazy.

Cant wait to ride it again. Learning to tame this beast has brought a new and exciting element to my recreation time.
Well that says it all doesn't it..

Everard

Likes Bikes
3rd Ride

Ok now I am seriously in love with this bike! Took it to Jarrahdale and decided to do some loops to check out the course for the 12 hour enduro race.
I would the reservoir back all the way to the -ve so it is pure linear shock absorbtion and put 150psi in there. Kept my main chamber at 30% sag and left propedal off. The bike rode like a dream. It just gobbles up all the rolling resistance from the imperfections in the single track to give you a feeling like you're riding on a steady stream of air. BLISS!

My mate who recently bought a Nomad came out with me and we swapped bikes. After doing a loop that took 1hr 20min. He gave the bike back to me and said that he wanted to give me shit for buying this bike so bad. But he couldn't. He said it rode like a dream and he had some serious bike envy.

I didn't ride his NOMAD though for the first lap. I took my PIVOT Mach4 out and cruised around on that. It would have been nice to give his bike a comparison ride but to tell you the truth I was afraid too just incase I wasn't happy with my purchase.

However there is no doubt in my mind now.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you had taken your mates Nomad you would have been very happy you bought the Firebird. The Nomad isn't as sensitive to small bumps and the Firebird loses nothing to it on general trail riding or big hit stuff. That's what i found after trying a new Nomad and we even put my CCDB on it.