First dropper post in the Tour de France?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Is that so he can enjoy the downhills better? What is the point? I can understand it may be a team bike chucked on the support car and that little bit of saddle height variation may be worthwile between riders but other than that................

Klips

Likes Dirt
Is that so he can enjoy the downhills better? What is the point? I can understand it may be a team bike chucked on the support car and that little bit of saddle height variation may be worthwile between riders but other than that................
Linked thread infers that yes, it is to make him faster at descending. He's a good bike handler as shown last night, and they have to weigh the bikes down to meet the 6.8kg requirement anyway so it makes sense.

Given that he's team leader, they would have at least one spare bike set up specifically for him anyway - and this one has his name on it so you can be pretty certain no one else will get it.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
More interesting to me at least, whats going on with the carbon looking rails on the saddle? squeaking or movement problems?

jbg

Likes Dirt
Guess so it can be dropped for the cobble stones? slippery corners??

whatever it's for can't say it's not working for him

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Ivan Basso used one in 2011. It was set lower for high cadence riding and set high for slow cadence riding

Either way, the dude rode like a fucking demon last night.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
More interesting to me at least, whats going on with the carbon looking rails on the saddle? squeaking or movement problems?
Err...carbon rails on high end road saddles are far from uncommon. If they weren't as expensive as droppers and as uncompromising as a plywood sheet I'd consider one for my unloved roadie.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Err...carbon rails on high end road saddles are far from uncommon. If they weren't as expensive as droppers and as uncompromising as a plywood sheet I'd consider one for my unloved roadie.
I'm guessing MYI is looking at the covering over the rails - the rail looks to be wrapped by something - ie it's not normal finished carbon saddle rail

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I'm guessing MYI is looking at the covering over the rails - the rail looks to be wrapped by something - ie it's not normal finished carbon saddle rail
Ahh...didn't notice that detail. I'd reckon it has something to do with the dropper having an alloy head rather than a carbon one...

mint355

Likes Dirt
It's a cloth wrapping over the carbon rail. My fizik gobi 00 seat has it also.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
That's a standard treatment in the clamping zone of carbon rails. I'd suspect it's to increase friction, reducing the level of clamping force required to keep it in place.