Finding a Large 2014 Trance SX (VIC)

padams10003

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know anywhere in Victoria stocking 2014 Trance SX's? The only ones anyone seems to have left are small frames.

If I can't find an SX, then I will get either a 2015 Trance 1 or a 2015 Reign 2, but cannot decide on one or the other (the SX slots nicely between them).

padams10003

Likes Dirt
Nothing on there in L except for in WA, VIC is sold out. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other shops (not on bike exchange) with them iin stock.

Kramer

FoBR
You may have missed your chance on a Trance SX. If you want awesome downhill speed, then get a Reign. If you want all mountain trail fun bike then get a Trance.

teK--

Eats Squid
You may have missed your chance on a Trance SX. If you want awesome downhill speed, then get a Reign. If you want all mountain trail fun bike then get a Trance.
Or get a 2015 Trance, sell the fork and put a 160mm pike on it and install single chainring. It would effectively be a Trance SX.

As an owner of a 2014 Trance SX I would have to say that the concept was good from Giant's point of view but they could have put better parts on it (shock/fork/brakes) rather than forcing people to pay a significant jump to get the Advanced SX. The 2015 Trance SX (not available in AUS) is done right but the colour is putrid.

DJR

Likes Dirt
I kind of beat myself up a bit over not getting a trance sx and getting a trance alloy 1 instead, but now I've changed the forks (160mm sweeps) , 1x10 conversion, stans flow ex wheels, and a monarch plus rear shock I'm happy :)

padams10003

Likes Dirt
Have contacted each of them, but they only have S still in Stock.

I really like the idea/pricing/value of the Reign and put all of them above the Trance, but feel that it is probably too much of a bike for 95% of my riding.

stirk

Burner
Have contacted each of them, but they only have S still in Stock.

I really like the idea/pricing/value of the Reign and put all of them above the Trance, but feel that it is probably too much of a bike for 95% of my riding.
Think outside the fucking square man...

Buy a Trek!

T-Rex

Template denier
I went through the same exercise as you only a few months ago, looking for a Medium, and couldn't find one. Even tried organising shipping them between dealers, engaging the distributor.... a big NO NO in Giant world.

In the end, I'm happy that I didn't get one, got a Trance instead. Better for climbing, and not really holding me back on the descents.

If you don't do much climbing, get a Reign.

padams10003

Likes Dirt
I live in Shepparton, so most of my rides are fairly flat. I am trying to get to various other locations/tracks at least once a month.

My head says buy a Trance...but my heart says Reign.

DJR

Likes Dirt
The 140mm f&r version of the trance is quite capable overall, you can always bolt a 160 fork up front if you need it down the track but unless you're hitting steep downhills a lot with it there isn't a lot the trance cant do.

chrisf

Cannon Fodder
They are all gone. I tried to find one on the east coast at Xmas time but all med and large are sold through.
Found the last remaining med frame size in Perth and a mate shipped it back. Only $2500 too so good value at that price.

Agree with others to put a Pike on the front of a regular Trance . The Talas 34 160mm isn't great. Love the 1 x 10 though. Good luck

padams10003

Likes Dirt
The 140mm f&r version of the trance is quite capable overall, you can always bolt a 160 fork up front if you need it down the track but unless you're hitting steep downhills a lot with it there isn't a lot the trance cant do.
Any recommendations between getting a Trance 2 and upgrading down the track (fork,shock,dropper...) or just spending the extra on a Trance 1 and probably only ever having to upgrade the fork (if anything). To me, the 2 looks a lot better (and is nearly $1k cheaper), but I don't want to buy a bike with suspension that I am sick of after a few months.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Any recommendations between getting a Trance 2 and upgrading down the track (fork,shock,dropper...) or just spending the extra on a Trance 1 and probably only ever having to upgrade the fork (if anything). To me, the 2 looks a lot better (and is nearly $1k cheaper), but I don't want to buy a bike with suspension that I am sick of after a few months.
From the looks of it, the suspension on the 2 in 2015 is the same as the 1 from 2014. The 1 scores the dropper, rock shox, and a very good wheel set ( the p trx 1 is very good ). I reckon if you can score the trance 1 for 3700 or less you've got a good bike at not too much more.

That said if you do go for the 2, get different tyres ( eg maxxis ardent race 3c , high roller 2, ardent, not a fan of swobble nobby NICs ) and a dropper post ( see if the giant dealer can stick a giant brand one in ).

Of course if you're going to push the front fork to a 150 or 160 travel model there is no point having a more expensive fork to start with.

hakka

Likes Dirt
I was in a similar position, although it was between the Trance 1 and advanced 2 for $900 less, I went with the advanced 2. I was planning to replace a lot of bits anyway (wheels, fork, shock, drivetrain) so there wasn't much point spending the extra on the trance 1. It really depends on how far you want to go with upgrades. The suspension isn't great on the lower models.

padams10003

Likes Dirt
From the looks of it, the suspension on the 2 in 2015 is the same as the 1 from 2014. The 1 scores the dropper, rock shox, and a very good wheel set ( the p trx 1 is very good ). I reckon if you can score the trance 1 for 3700 or less you've got a good bike at not too much more.

That said if you do go for the 2, get different tyres ( eg maxxis ardent race 3c , high roller 2, ardent, not a fan of swobble nobby NICs ) and a dropper post ( see if the giant dealer can stick a giant brand one in ).

Of course if you're going to push the front fork to a 150 or 160 travel model there is no point having a more expensive fork to start with.
I can get the 1 for $3400 (2 is about $2500). I reckon I will lean towards the 1 as I think that it would be a fair while before I outgrow.

Now off to the shop on Saturday morning to pick up a Trance 1 (provided they still have one in stock and also that I don't change my mind).

Thanks for all the advice.