Fatter tyre to replace 20 * 1 1/8"??

John U

MTB Precision
Hi,

I bought my son a 2nd hand kuwahara nova earlier this year for him to race on. He had crack on it and went quite well but he's currently a bit scared of how fast it is. It came with Intense tyres on which are 20 * 1 1/8". They're fairly skinny and high pressure so they're bloody fast. It is a race bike so not unexpected.

I was wondering if there are any other fatter tyres out there that would fit this rim. It's not as simple as going and buying a 20*1.5 is it? I would like to slow the bike down a bit with something fatter, lower pressure, maybe more grip to give him a bit more confidence on it. I've heard tyre choices are pretty restricted for this wheel size. My knowledge of bmx is pretty limited.

Any help greatly appreciated.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi John, yep they are fast! No- standard 20"is a different wheelsize than 20X 1"1/8th

I lowered the gearing on my daughters bike, bigger cog freewheel on rear and smaller chainring. She can still sit on 25kph....

As to tyres I would be surprised if you have clearance for a wider tire??

I had considered a front wheel swap to a 20" so I could put a wider tire but did the gearing instead. She got used to the twitchy feel of skinny tires.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
You can get 20" 1 3/8 tyres. They are the only other options for this rim size. 20" 1.5, 2.0 etc tyres will not fit. The BSD is different between the two different 20" rims.

20" 1 3/8 tyres are still skinny though.