fat b'stard noob. Skills needed......update: Progress!

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
join a club

Red Hill riders is down your way, why not check them out. all you need is one other person to start riding with and before you know it you are having fun.
No one really cares what weight you are they are too worried about what weight they are themselves.

get out there and have fun , you don't have to wear Lycra straight away get a pair of mtb shorts, or put a pair of basketball short over your lycra nicks and wear a soccer top.

morganb4

Likes Bikes
Red Hill riders is down your way, why not check them out. all you need is one other person to start riding with and before you know it you are having fun.
No one really cares what weight you are they are too worried about what weight they are themselves.

get out there and have fun , you don't have to wear Lycra straight away get a pair of mtb shorts, or put a pair of basketball short over your lycra nicks and wear a soccer top.
Liking this. Thanks. Its only about 1/2 hour drive from me. Thanks, investigating now.

fairy1

Banned
Sorry if I missed but I want to see a weight, I'm a bit over 100kg with riding gear on and crashing hurts.

adaib

Likes Dirt
Liking this. Thanks. Its only about 1/2 hour drive from me. Thanks, investigating now.
There's a social ride every sunday leaving from the Red Hill School at around 8.15ish. It's meant to be 8, but they're pretty slack!
Anyone from any levels of skills and fitness are welcome. Pace is medium, but we ride as a group. No one gets left behind.
Plenty of time to get to know the local mtbers, and then stay back afterwards for a coffee and a bite at the shop. They usually finish up at around 11.30ish.

PM me if you want any more info

shakes

Likes Dirt
^ Thanks

Well I have made some progress. The other day I rode down a set of steps no less than ~3" each. What a rebel eh? I knew you would be impressed. Im so hardcore....
Next step is to learn to roll off, and also roll up the ledge along the side. Get your weight right back behind the seat for rolling off, then bring it up and forwards at the key moment so you stay smooth. Is nice a progressive height wise so room to move.

And lifting your front and then flicking the back up so you don't crash through everything in the way... (wheels' chain rings, frame)

And then practice your huck to splats.

And unless your 5' tall? I wouldn't worry about your weight ;)

adaib

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't worry about your body weight unless you get into racing. As you ride more it'll go away anyway.
Its not an issue for me, i'm 69kg and i'm 6.0', however, one of my best riding buddies is a big burly footy player. He weighs like 80 something of muscle (and a bit of pudge :p ) but he's still pretty fast as a recreational rider. Obviously he also rides a dually with good strong components.

Science

Likes Dirt
I take my partner out riding when ever i can, just taking it easy on him. He has never really riden much before, but has a lot of fun getting out and trying to keep pace.
He had all the usual bad habits of the non rider, like slaming the rear wheel across gutters, provided he got the front wheel up it first, but gradually, i'm teaching him to unload the wheel, and eventually to bunnyhop obsticals.
He is also a heaver rider (80kg+) but he has pretty good fitness, so once i have his skills down pat he should make for a good riding partner too.

brettjon

Likes Bikes
Dude... yoiu're a lightweight! I'm 6 foot 3 and I'm packing 125 kilo's!

Granted I ride alot of SX and have a pretty broad set of shoiulders but as far as weight goes, don't let it scare you. it'll shred off after a few months of riding hard!

Good to see everyone helping out and givnig their opinions, this is one f the best forum's i've been on as far as comeraderie (spelling?) goes!

BW

bazza

look at me
Speaking from someone who has introduced a few people in mountain biking and tried a few different methods I have the following tips. Everyone is different so find what works for you, but give the advice a go first. Basically see a coach as early on as possible. No matter how unfit you think you are, you can always get more fit, but get a basis of skills and technique to build on.

1. Go and see a decent mountain bike coach (she/he should be able to do a bike fit as well). Where are you based? The best analogy of this that I can give is that hardly anyone goes up to the snow and starts skiing or boarding without lessons.....Basically seeing a mountain bike coach as early into your start of mountain biking will ensure you do not build bad habits that are hard to shake later on. It will also give you a load of confidence in riding your bike which will mean you enjoy it more! It will also mean every ride into the future you do you will be building on the core skills that the coach has helped you out with. It's all about FREE speed (ie. if you corner faster you have to pedal less to get back up to speed, which means less energy used etc).

2. Keep riding! Nothing more to this one....

3. Enter a race and give yourself a goal. Not necessary, but mountain bike racing is great fun and no mater your level there is generally someone else to ride with in the same level of pain and cold beer at the end!

Hope this helps!

morganb4

Likes Bikes
Speaking from someone who has introduced a few people in mountain biking and tried a few different methods I have the following tips. Everyone is different so find what works for you, but give the advice a go first. Basically see a coach as early on as possible. No matter how unfit you think you are, you can always get more fit, but get a basis of skills and technique to build on.

1. Go and see a decent mountain bike coach (she/he should be able to do a bike fit as well). Where are you based? The best analogy of this that I can give is that hardly anyone goes up to the snow and starts skiing or boarding without lessons.....Basically seeing a mountain bike coach as early into your start of mountain biking will ensure you do not build bad habits that are hard to shake later on. It will also give you a load of confidence in riding your bike which will mean you enjoy it more! It will also mean every ride into the future you do you will be building on the core skills that the coach has helped you out with. It's all about FREE speed (ie. if you corner faster you have to pedal less to get back up to speed, which means less energy used etc).

2. Keep riding! Nothing more to this one....

3. Enter a race and give yourself a goal. Not necessary, but mountain bike racing is great fun and no mater your level there is generally someone else to ride with in the same level of pain and cold beer at the end!

Hope this helps!

Thanks.
Know a good coach?

akashra

Eats Squid
This times 1000. Watch, learn, get pressured into doing stuff. Best way to learn.
Another vote for this. It is predominantly the reason I'm no good technically - I almost never ride with others, and therefore have never learned from others, and have never had technique to watch.

The difference is night and day when I have been able to go riding with others *of a similar but slightly higher skill*, or with quick riders willing to slow down - but if they're quick riders who just fly away, you're not going to learn anything because they're out of sight.