Fat Bikes

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah cant think of anything more depressing for me- a fat man on a fat bike- I seriously dont need to be any slower.
You know my build JD, and you also know I used to ride up the front, and frankly, I couldn't give a stuff that I wasn't as fast any more. It's just more fun I was after. And that monster truck feeling of being able to ride over anything.:nod:

By the way, the fat bike has made me stronger. ;)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
the fat made me stronger

You know my build JD, and you also know I used to ride up the front, and frankly, I couldn't give a stuff that I wasn't as fast any more. It's just more fun I was after. And that monster truck feeling of being able to ride over anything.:nod:

By the way, the fat bike has made me stronger. ;)
you are a shorter nugget of pure SS finese. Is your fat bike SS too. I have no doubt that fat bikes would make you stronger. For someone who is struggling to get on a bike for an hour a week- trying to get that extra heft up hills doesnt sound like fun. Thats why Ive ditched a fulltime SS- you need a level of fitness to really enjoy it- otherwise it is a chore. I might be on my own here.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you are a shorter nugget of pure SS finese. Is your fat bike SS too. I have no doubt that fat bikes would make you stronger. For someone who is struggling to get on a bike for an hour a week- trying to get that extra heft up hills doesnt sound like fun. Thats why Ive ditched a fulltime SS- you need a level of fitness to really enjoy it- otherwise it is a chore. I might be on my own here.
No, the Fatty isn't SS (yet). I'm really liking the gears. Monster trucks need gears. Having said that, I have got everything I need to try fat SS, except the desire, at the moment.

I agree on the "need a level of fitness", but not being able to get out as much as I want lately, I'm sort of glad for the extra workout when I do (mind you, having a masochistic SS mentality helps). I'd be porking up a lot quicker if it weren't the weight of the Fatty, but I'd lose it much quicker if I stopped eating so much crap.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My build has started!

Frame, forks and wheels and a few odds and sods arrived today. So I just had to put some of it together...

Muru Witjira that you may or may not have seen before ;) Thank you George.

Basically will be an XT build with 8" discs and M810 Saint calipers. Reverb dropper and Truvative bars/stem.

Much lighter than I thought it would be, at this stage anyway. Finish the build then off to Bribie for a test on the soft stuff.

ChopSticks

Banned
have been spending numerous hours and nights reading into fat bikes.....

I've come to the conclusion my next bike will be a fat bike (SB can do anything from XC-DH)..... and a fatty would look pretty pimp while riding Sydney Olympic park with the missus.
and if i ever have enough room in the house for a 3rd bike... then I'll consider a roadie

Not keen to throw too much money on a novelty bike.... but the new Mongoose Argus is def on the top of the list of entry level fat bike.

Al frame, solid components and with a US retail price of $999.99 its BLOODY attractive!

has anyone here on RB has any luck with the ebay/chinese carbon fatty frames? $600 for a frame seems okay... and with a Bluto costing $650-750~ its a bloody attractive bike to build !!
only question I have is... whats the deal with rear spacings? there seems to be different standards? 190mm? and 197mm?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
only question I have is... whats the deal with rear spacings? there seems to be different standards? 190mm? and 197mm?
I haven't pulled the trigger on fat bikes for this reason. 170mm was 'standard' when I was last looking but not so sure now that 4.8" tyres are becoming more common (190mm). Then there is all sorts of crap with cranks.

On the plus side, there are lots more parts nowadays for fat builds and cheaper too.

notime

Likes Dirt
Budget Fat's

I just bought a Wheeler carbon fat from cycling deal

They have 3 models $850 steel $1000 AL and $1900 for Carbon.

I was going to get the steel one just to mess around with as the spec 2x10 etc seemed pretty hard to beat, but it's a tank.

I went with the carbon one in the end cause it had 3 bidon mounts and front a rear rack mounts so it can double as a bike packer.

The AL one looked good spec wise but the front fork looks dodge so I would have factored in a RS Bluto or a carbon fork.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The Witjira runs 170 rear spacing and that will allow 4.7" tyres on an 80mm rim. There is heaps of room for more tyre but I haven't fitted the cranks and chain yet so tyre rub may be the limitation. The BB is 100mm and runs e*thirteen XC threaded BB (another tool I had to buy) and uses the e*thirteen TRS 2x cranks. Not sure what other frames run but if you go to their website the details should be there. I bought some 4" skinny trail tyres too. I will set the rest up tonight with a bit of luck. The BB is a little more of an install that usual in that you have to check clearances but sounds easy enough. I have to fit a new brake line for the rear and bleed that up otherwise a simple fitout using the bits left over from the Rize plus the dedicated fat bits like wheels, frame, fork and BB.

JD I am sure you could be a freak too, find a bike and go for a ride! Conversion complete.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
have been spending numerous hours and nights reading into fat bikes.....

I've come to the conclusion my next bike will be a fat bike (SB can do anything from XC-DH)..... and a fatty would look pretty pimp while riding Sydney Olympic park with the missus.
and if i ever have enough room in the house for a 3rd bike... then I'll consider a roadie

has anyone here on RB has any luck with the ebay/chinese carbon fatty frames? $600 for a frame seems okay... and with a Bluto costing $650-750~ its a bloody attractive bike to build !!
ohhh no that is how it started with me, it is only a matter of time now.

You will be surprised just how capable a fat bike is and the types of trails you can ride on one. My fat is an older style Pugsley with 135mm offset spacing at both ends. This provides plenty of chain clearance and the advantage of running 2 rear wheels for geared or single speed set ups. The only down side is that I am limited to the skinner fat bike tyres now that they are ridiculously fat.

I am not sure what the current or new rear spacing standard is but you probably have better chance winning lotto then picking that.

If you are going to go for a build then the main issue to overcome will be chain clearance with the rear wheel.

I have not run a suspension fork on my Fat bike as yet and I don't really think I need one. If the bike is bouncing around too much I just let some air out of the tyres.

I would also be interested in hearing what the cheaper carbon frames are like as I will eventually upgrade to something that will run bigger wheels.

The on-one 24 inch fat also looks pretty good as well:

[video=youtube;EygF8Cu4hj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EygF8Cu4hj4[/video]

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My GoPro footage from the 2014 Simpson Desert race.

Watch in 1080 HD.

[video=youtube;R0I5QVr-tVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0I5QVr-tVM[/video]

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I just bought a Wheeler carbon fat from cycling deal

They have 3 models $850 steel $1000 AL and $1900 for Carbon.

I was going to get the steel one just to mess around with as the spec 2x10 etc seemed pretty hard to beat, but it's a tank.

I went with the carbon one in the end cause it had 3 bidon mounts and front a rear rack mounts so it can double as a bike packer.

The AL one looked good spec wise but the front fork looks dodge so I would have factored in a RS Bluto or a carbon fork.
how much does it weigh, im tossing up between the carbon and the aluminium with carbon forks!..
was looking at the steely, but just too heavy, im looking for a beach bike to go backcountry fishing on!

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
I rode a specialized one today at a demo day and it was super fun, hard work uphill but lots of fun and so much grip. Would be interested to try a super light one.