Fat Bikes

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are they really that good at riding on soft sand ? hard to envisage but could be a really awesome addition to the fishing tackle box. I sometimes walk with a day pack carrying minimalist lure casting gear. One could cover a lot more ground with a bike..
You could have one with a trailer for beach use. I haven't had the chance to ride mine on sand but from all reports, they're the goods.

Last edited:

struggles

Likes Dirt
They go great on the beach. I rode mine yesterday at Sussex Inlet at 10psi and it was heaps easier than walking :)

5psi would have been easier still

dhr85

Likes Bikes
Let's give this thread a tickle.

Well after a lifetime of off-road cycling I never thought that I would experience *that* feeling again. It's a wonderful thing to ride. What a sweeTi from Muru.

and a nice little touch sand blasted onto the frame....

oh mate, why did you post your bike!! Now i want to get one lol
very cool looking bike, i start liking those fatbikes, specially those massive tires, nice fun toy, enjoy : )

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
With the filthy cold weather we're having in Melbourne, I had a giggle when a good customer of ours reminded me of a post made on another cycling forum.

This was unceremoniously dubbed the wee-wee ride - So let me set the scene. A *fast* ride down from Cape Conran along the Powerline track. Fat suspension forks are fabulous at high speed and rough terrain and a life saver under brakes but when rolling too fast, scary trying to turn *suddenly*. Scary indeed - perhaps a bit of wee came out.

Stop at Dock Inlet and a quick wash before pushing on toward that sandy patch and then negotiate the viper trail to the ocean beach. It's full of red bellied black snakes that were uncharacteristically angry. A bit more wee came out.

A glorious sight when you crest the beach dune and bomb down only to find the last bit washed away and a huge drop to the beach.... totally committed and at speed.... More wee.

Find some shade for a bite to eat and turn back to get onto the bike only to find this big guy standing there holding his ground. He wanted my food and rushed me to drop it. They do that out there. Wee wee...

Onto the beach where the sand was soft and the rounded particles made it difficult - even with 3psi on tubeless BFL tyres. If you look back to the distance you'll see that the beach had a steep fall and riding soft sand with a side slope is hard. Very hard. You have to contort your body to pressure the rear and essentially skim the front over the sand. It's a bit like pulling a mono but keeping the front just touching the surface. This time the bike copped a wee - anything to help traction.

Fantastic ride though.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If any Melbourne fatbike riders (or anyone else for that matter) are keen, a few of us are doing a ride along the closed section of Donna Buang Rd from the Don rd intersection on Saturday 19/07 (tomorrow). Meet at 9:30 for some snow action if keen. The plan is to just ride up the closed section, maybe to the Donna Buang peak and ride back down the same way.

It will be damn cold, so if you're coming along, be prepared!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
god love you guys but I really just dont get it

for the desert challenge- sure it makes sense but other than that why would you want to ride on a beach anyway. It doesnt sound like an enjoyable experience- besides the photos. There arent even beautiful woman lounging on the sand- whats the point.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt

for the desert challenge- sure it makes sense but other than that why would you want to ride on a beach anyway. It doesnt sound like an enjoyable experience- besides the photos. There arent even beautiful woman lounging on the sand- whats the point.
'coz ya can of course.

ads_11

Likes Bikes

Who says there are no beautiful women lounging on the sand? Maybe not in the middle of a freezing Adelaide winter but sometimes there is the odd hottie haha

Also, all the best pubs are located along the beachfront so it is a good excuse to get to them...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Most likely JD. That'd be why other riders avoid eye contact.

So you're saying that you don't have to ride fat in order to ride fat?
Yeah cant think of anything more depressing for me- a fat man on a fat bike- I seriously dont need to be any slower.