Farkin what?????????

S.

ex offender
If you think a lightweight, race-orientated cracked frame can just be repaired by welding, then you nothing about lightweight tapered-tube frames.
Don't care how good the repairer is, by the time you strip the paint, weld the ultra thin walled tapered tube (if you can get to it properly and retain anything like original alignment...) then re-heat treat the front triangle (so it doesn't just re-break around the repair weld) then repaint it, you might as well forget it.
The front triangle is gone. This is a bin job, except for pivot hardware and the back end.
Is that a fact? So you maintain that thin-walled frames cannot be repaired eh? Funny... I work for someone who's made a living out of proving you wrong.

The ad doesn't say it's fine to ride as is, it pretty clearly states that it's got a big crack in it. He even mentions repairing it, he doesn't try to claim "oh it's not structural" or "it won't get any worse" like some ads I've seen. If you really need someone to draw you a flowchart between "big crack in frame" and "this will end in disaster if you keep riding it" then you must be either under the age of five or have severe intellectual disabilities. The guy isn't kidding anyone, he's made it pretty clear that it's broken and needs fixing. He never said he continued to ride it whilst cracked, or that anyone else should, he said it WAS fine before, in other words, the rest of the bike is fine and not flogged out. Is it really that hard to understand?

Last edited:

Z100

Likes Bikes
The ad doesn't say it's fine to ride as is, it pretty clearly states that it's got a big crack in it. He even mentions repairing it, he doesn't try to claim "oh it's not structural" or "it won't get any worse" like some ads I've seen. If you really need someone to draw you a flowchart between "big crack in frame" and "this will end in disaster if you keep riding it" then you must be either under the age of five or have severe intellectual disabilities. The guy isn't kidding anyone, he's made it pretty clear that it's broken and needs fixing. He never said he continued to ride it whilst cracked, or that anyone else should, he said it WAS fine before, in other words, the rest of the bike is fine and not flogged out. Is it really that hard to understand?
Nuff' said. What a firetruckin storm in teacup. Don't like it, don't buy it. Real simple people.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that a fact? So you maintain that thin-walled frames cannot be repaired eh? Funny... I work for someone who's made a living out of proving you wrong.

Let's not get bitchy.
I didn't say this type of frame couldn't be repaired.
I said the process is long and involved and typically outweighs replacement, and that if you think it's just a case of slapping a weld on it, you'd be quite wrong. I'm sure you know that if you 'work for someone who's made a living out of proving you wrong.'...
As far as the eBay post is concerned, it's badly enough written to have a debate going in this thread, which proves the point that what's written could be easily misconstrued to the detriment of an unaware buyer.
No need to get clever about drawing flow charts, the guy's selling a totalled frame and someone could buy it without realising how bad it is.
If anyone else did that (a company, or similar) it would be negligent.

Last edited:

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
I think the buyers description and admittance of product fault/flaw is clear enough for all except those that should fall prey to natural selection anyway.

Now, can we lock this thread and stop drawing attention to it, (I got a bid on)

that_stoney_one

Likes Dirt
axela8, i believe it does show how severe the crack is in the pictures and he has indicated that it does need fixing. the frame is not totaled, it is repairable.

and just a hit, barking up S's tree is not the right tree you want to be barking up :p

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let's not get bitchy.
I said the process is long and involved and typically outweighs replacement, and that if you think it's just a case of slapping a weld on it, you'd be quite wrong. I'm sure you know that if you 'work for someone who's made a living out of proving you wrong.'...
As far as the eBay post is concerned, it's badly enough written to have a debate going in this thread, which proves the point that what's written could be easily misconstrued to the detriment of an unaware buyer.
No need to get clever about drawing flow charts, the guy's selling a totalled frame and someone could buy it without realising how bad it is.
ssssshhhhhhhhhh

noob one you still need to learn the way of farkin;)

S.

ex offender
Let's not get bitchy.
How could anyone possibly buy that without realising how bad it is? He makes it pretty damn clear that it has a big crack in it, he states it goes most of the way around the top tube AND includes pictures of it, and if you can't make the link between "big crack" and "hospitalisation" then yes, I do need to draw you a flowchart! Honestly man... he couldn't make it much clearer than explicitly stating it's cracked, how bad the crack is, where the crack is, and including photos of it. What else should he do? Put gigantic headings in saying THIS FRAME IS CRACKED, LOOK OUT IF YOU RIDE IT YOU MIGHT DIE FROM RELATED OR UNRELATED CAUSES, BECAUSE THE FRAME IS CRACKED REMEMBER? DID I MENTION IT'S CRACKED?

So you know exactly what the process of a frame repair is? And how much it costs? I can tell you know it'd be WAY less than the cost of the frame... by a factor of 5 at least, and quite likely a factor of 10 or more depending on exactly what needed doing. This sort of stuff gets repaired on a daily basis for prices that are relatively insignificant next to the cost of replacing such a frame - that's the whole reason there's a market for it. If you realise this and still think it's a waste of time, you are, in my opinion, insane. If you didn't know this, then you're simply ignorant of the real situation. I don't mean that as a personal slight, but you simply don't know what the possibilities are when it comes to frame repairs.

I don't think there is any ambiguity in what's written at all, simply that some people aren't comfortable with the idea of someone selling something that is structurally compromised even though he HAS made it clear that's the case. Not one person in this thread has gone "Oh wicked, a cheap AS-R frame in great nick! I'm gonna buy that!" or anything remotely close, nor even asked if it's broken, therefore I'd say it's actually pretty clear that everyone DOES understand him.

Derelikt-3

Likes Dirt
LOL Any one who has shit for brains would bid on that thinking it won't have any further problems with the frame. Let alone paying for it to be fixed! hahaha joke to the max