Fake top tube / cross bars for bike racks

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Anyone recommend a good and cheap fake top tube bar?

I have been looking around but as per usual buying from your local bike shop in Australia is a no go because of the stupidly overpriced products.

It needs to fit round a Giant Glory 2011 with Fox 40's if that matters and be quick release style, not the rubbish ones that you have to take apart.

Preferably order from somewhere online in Australia for faster postage.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
i've only used the std black number that I see in most LBS's - was about $50 - works fine, hasnt failed, bent or anything - one end is bigger than the other, and even fits the headset on a cannondale lefty.

wombat

Lives in a hole
My honest suggestion would be that those things in general are pretty much shit, and usually only necessary if you're using an old school beak style rack, which are generally also shit.

Is that solution really gonna cut it for a DH bike?

T-Rex

Template denier
Anyone got any ideas?
I do. Get a Gripsport rack.

We have a Thule "family style" bike rack, and some high quality "women's bike adaptors" as they are known, from way back, which I haven't used for years. However, I was forced to use this setup last Sunday when my Gripsport rack was not available (left it on Mrs T-Rex's car.....) and I was able to remind myself why this setup is hopeless for transporting a DH bike.

If you can't get the bike to sit on the rack on it's top tube, and you are running a DM stem, you have to run the adaptor from the handlebar to the seat post. Consequently, if you have a car with a normal height towbar, because your 40's are so long, the front wheel will nearly be touching the ground, and will hit the ground if you go up an inclined driveway or whatever. So then you will want to compress the fork with a rachet strap, then you will realise your 18kg pride and joy is suspended by this flimsy looking adaptor, and will tie it on to the rack in an extra half a dozen points before you fell confident to drive anywhere.

Just a pain in the arse really, best avoided.

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys,

I share a gripsport with two friends which we use for uplifts.

I bought a bike rack from chainreaction which is due to arrive soon along with a frame adapter last night.

I never thought about the bike being too low so that sucks. I may need to get creative when it arrives