Extreme Geometry Hardtail

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's been done plenty of times before in the old Farkin days. I recall more than a few "can I put 888s on my STP" threads.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
It's been done plenty of times before in the old Farkin days. I recall more than a few "can I put 888s on my STP" threads.
Ha ha there's more to it than just making a barstadized DH hardtail, well sort of. Have another look. It's not about big forks(only 130mm on that), but slack headangle, long "reach" short stays, short stem, low BB. No STP with 888s had any of that but the slack bit.
Ithink it'd be terrible accept for those steep shale decents you see in vids.

Last edited:

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Very interesting video.

63 degrees is mega slack. The bike looks very cool and Id love to have a go at it.

His short video was great. mentioned the positives and negatives.

I find my trance x 29er floppy slack on slow techy rides so I imagine this would be terrible. Then again, it'd be a bunch of fun downhill.

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Kinda reminds me of the home made extended forks we used to make as kids. Hacksaw the fork legs off an old bike, shove/slide the legs onto the bottom of your forks... slack as, and looked sweet too :cool:

The custom built bike in the video has:

• 63.5° Head angle, 130mm fork
  • 656mm top tube (5'8" rider)
  • 10mm stem
  • 780mm handlebar
  • 75.5° Seat tube
  • 300mm Bottom Bracket
  • 415mm Chainstay

Pretty interesting mix. Would be fun to have a spin on it just to see.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Oh lordy, how I do not miss the days of the early 2000 invasion of kids in to MTBing. I'm actually quite thankful the BMX trend came along and cleaned things up for us. It really lifted the average age of Farkin but at least 5 years, I reckon.

I ride a Cannondale Chase on my local trails, which in many areas are really tight and twisty. The steep head angle, short wheel base and short/sloped top tube make it the most fun ride ever. I still enjoy it on my Remedy (which actually has a little tighter than most head angles, the main reason I chose that over other AM rides) but much prefer the Chase it to riding my 1FG on those same trails. However my Chase would be hard work riding trails like Stromlo, Thredbo, etc.

As he said in the video and something that everyone here already knows, the bike should suit the trail you're on.

I'm actually considering setting up an HT/DH Frankenstein ride for some DH days with mates. Would love an old Evil Imperial for that but can't drop that kind of coin on a Frankenbike proj.

I'm sure there's plenty on here from the Farkin day who will remember that batch of long, low & slack steel hardtails produced in Vic under the Unscrupulous Dealer name. Now those were a frankentail with whack numbers that kinda worked...depending on the trail.