Existing trails - suggested amendments for consideration

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As part of continuing to enusre all members needs are being met and to ensure a certain standard is being kept within our existing trail network, prior to conducting any new modifications approval must first be sought from the trail maintenance co-ordinator.

Please post up your suggested modifications on this thread including photo's and an explanation of what is trying to be achieved. Please do not ask for forgiveness on this thread with the modifcations already complete.

Once the suggestions are tabled members have the opportunity to discuss their opposition with their reasons why. The ultimate power of who approves the modification rests with the trail maintenance co-ordinator and their ruling will be final.

Last edited:

Jspec

Cannon Fodder
im not the most experienced rider. infact iv only really gotten into the sport the last 6 months or so but it seems to me that the first dozen corners of the down section on rollercat 2 need better berms built and the ones that are there need repair. i realize that alot of it is due to my riding confindence but this top section just seems so slow compared to the rest. i can take photo's today if needed? there is one berm that doesnt seem long enough to me, i always run out of berm and go slip and slide straight after if ground is a little wet. everyone loves a super flowy track. cheers.

Newbie comment alert

G'day JSpec & Ryan- Dan here. I was sitting next to Matt & Perry (I think) at the meeting last week and the discussion was mostly about maintaining the trails to be in line with the correct technical standards. Flowing berms (that we all like) have to be balanced against log climbs (that we don't all like) and other features to maintain a technical component on the XC trails, but on the other hand, there's no point building technically challenging XC tracks that no one wants to ride because there're too slow and fiddly. If you're ever down in Brisbane at Mt Cootha, and are looking for a quiet ride with no traffic try the Cubberla creek trail. Great technical track, and I like it, but does not flow well and is nowhere near as popular as the other tracks.

IMO we need to try and get everyone on the same page on:

1. What difficulty level and style each track is supposed to be, and the technical on what that means (200mm logs, 500mm drops or whatever)
2. Slower B-lines around difficult sections, made during trail design, so people without the skills to go the A-line are less likely to want to adjust things.

I think that if there were 6 or 8 different tracks available to ride, then there's reasonable scope to maintain strict standards and no B-lines, but in the interest of building the club and making it as accessible as possible, I think there should be some concessions to the less experienced riders.

Schoey's link to the trail building info has died- any chance of getting that info back up?

Last edited:

Derelikt Man

Likes Dirt
Hey guys all i would like to see happen is that the road gravel at the top of frenzy (just after the electrical poll) needs to be removed from the track it is so easy to loose grip and slip out but apart from that fix up a few burms and etc. but the tracks are all really cool. :)

aussie pete

Likes Dirt
Thread Format

To make it easier for everyone involved and as this is a new approach to how the club handles and monitors track modification lets try a simple format theory. If we can break it into 2 sections "suggestions" and "applications".

A suggestion is if you would like to see a modification done or have a safety concern but do not have the required tools, know how, time or what ever else to carry out the job to completion but you would like the club to consider some form of action.
An application is if you are seeking approval to undertake a job as an individual when a time suits or as a team on a maintenance day.

For example

Suggestion
Track- Frenzy (name of track)
Section- Start/just after powerpole ( around what section of the track)
Alteration- Clean out loose gravel on track (discibe the suggested modification)
Safety hazard- ? ( if there is any form of safety issue with its current state)

Application
Track- Rollercat
Section- Top berms
Alteration- Build bigger berms/fix existing berms
Safety hazard - No
Work intended for- Individual or maintenance day (if you plan on carrying out the work yourself or want to do it as part of a maintenance day)
Intended date to do work- ?

If people can follow this basic format and add to it if nessecary as the more information you provide (including photo's) the clearer we can understand your intentions. I will follow up all applicatons and suggestions as soon as possible.
Please do not carry out any work until you have recieved authorisation.

On behalf of the TMBC and as the Maintenance/Building Coordinator we encourage everyone to take part in the maintenance of our trails and we thank you for your time spent helping us achieve a greater trail network.

Last edited:

cefiro

Likes Dirt
Is it a good idea to make a sub section for each trail frenzy, turkey and roller cat.
• rollercat only corner at top that needs a berm or some work is the 180 that takes u back across the side of the hill.
• frenzy in process of organizing meetin with the ranger about erosion, berms and those loose sections

conga

Squid
New Trail - Reaper

Hi Pete

Had a look a the new trail yesterday, rides well. I think one adjustment would help flow.

Suggestion
Track- Reaper (New trail)
Section- First Switchback on XC climb in.
Alteration- Either wider the corner by half a meter and berm or flatten the corner so some moment can be maintained for the log roll over.
Safety hazard- No

Like I said new trail rides well even for an inexperienced rider like myself.

aussie pete

Likes Dirt
I want to have a maintenance day a couple of weeks after the DX if it is not done before then I will schedule it as a job that needs to be done. How did you find the following corner where the junction is?

Hi Pete

Had a look a the new trail yesterday, rides well. I think one adjustment would help flow.

Suggestion
Track- Reaper (New trail)
Section- First Switchback on XC climb in.
Alteration- Either wider the corner by half a meter and berm or flatten the corner so some moment can be maintained for the log roll over.
Safety hazard- No

Like I said new trail rides well even for an inexperienced rider like myself.

Pezza65

Likes Bikes
Ditto Conga & yeah, the next one at the junction with the DX entry was too tight for me Pete ... Perry