ENR. Reducing drag.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Not so sure they’d work. Point isn’t to tension, it’s to take up a ton of slack, and release it as suspension compresses and axle moves back 50mm.
The lower idler isn't there to take up slack, it's to prevent the chain from dropping off the chainring (from the bottom first) on the rebound stroke of the suspension, when the chainstay length is dramatically decreasing a feeding "slack" chain back into the system via the derailleur. The lower guide also helps to ensure there's sufficient chain wrap around the chainring to reduce tooth wear while JRA.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Essentially a derailleur arm that swings as the suspension compresses to keep the chain tensioned, but his is nice and high to keep it out of the mud.

moorey

call me Mia
The lower idler isn't there to take up slack, it's to prevent the chain from dropping off the chainring (from the bottom first) on the rebound stroke of the suspension, when the chainstay length is dramatically decreasing a feeding "slack" chain back into the system via the derailleur. The lower guide also helps to ensure there's sufficient chain wrap around the chainring to reduce tooth wear while JRA.
Not quite as I understand it. Yes, a bottom jockey helps keep the chain on, but with this design, and the extreme rearward path, it also serves to free up more chain as ir lowers when the suspension compresses.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Not quite as I understand it. Yes, a bottom jockey helps keep the chain on, but with this design, and the extreme rearward path, it also serves to free up more chain as ir lowers when the suspension compresses.
Because of where the chain is pivoting from, yes. But it doesn’t actually release/unspool anything as it’s not sprung.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Ok, I hadn’t read this in their FAQ’s. The mounts looked like ISCG05, seems not.
I might go with plan A if I end up playing around with it, and slot the mounts to rotate it a bit lower. Nothing to see here folks.

moorey

call me Mia
Email Hugh at crafty and ask?
They do recommend running it like it is. I’ve chatted with someone who spoke to Hugh about it. I just don’t think I need quite as much as it comes stock, running the 42t cassette. I could be very wrong and visiting the confessional….again

dazz

Downhill Dazz
They do recommend running it like it is. I’ve chatted with someone who spoke to Hugh about it. I just don’t think I need quite as much as it comes stock, running the 42t cassette. I could be very wrong and visiting the confessional….again
Long as derailleur has enough travel to accommodate full compression, can't see there being any major drama.

I'm not really following why there is less drag on the smaller cassette gears vs the larger end? Is it because of greater derailleur tension in those gears? Or is the chain rubbing the side of the guide over that side? Or is the drag the same in all gears, just more noticeable in those ratios?

LPG

likes thicc birds
I'm not really following why there is less drag on the smaller cassette gears vs the larger end? Is it because of greater derailleur tension in those gears? Or is the chain rubbing the side of the guide over that side? Or is the drag the same in all gears, just more noticeable in those ratios?
I'm assuming the theory is the more wrap around the guide, the more pressure and friction there is on it

moorey

call me Mia
Long as derailleur has enough travel to accommodate full compression, can't see there being any major drama.

More tension on bigger cogs is how it seems, though exacerbated by the chain line I’m sure. It’s not there in the 9t, and chain line is centred, so it seems more to do with additional tension on larger gears.
I’m a gronk, so take all of this with a grain of salt. It really is fine to ride as it is. More about tinkering than an issue.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm assuming the theory is the more wrap around the guide, the more pressure and friction there is on it
Yep. Double edged sword. Big cogs, more wrap on pulley, and more tension on the derailleur….and where your feel it most in the climbing gears…at least I do.

ausdb

Being who he is
Yep. Double edged sword. Big cogs, more wrap on pulley, and more tension on the derailleur….and where your feel it most in the climbing gears…at least I do.
Maybe you are the only one who actually pedals their ENR up hills and doesn't do their climbing from the comfort of a bus/shuttle wagon?