Project Enduro Frame Re-spay, Graphics, Re-build.

stirk

Burner
Looks really good! You can't build until the decals are on and the clear coat applied or did you decide not to apply the clear coat?

jameslockyer

Likes Bikes
Looks really good! You can't build until the decals are on and the clear coat applied or did you decide not to apply the clear coat?
Yeah i opted not to go with the clear coat, the powder coaters said in order to apply the clear coat the frame would need to go in the oven again, this could cause the decals to burn under the coat... he said he was happy to try but couldn't be held liable if the frame came out looking like poo. He said for other jobs many customers don't go with the clear coat for this reason, he mentioned many believe the clear coat offers more protection? however he assured me the paint job they do is incredibly strong, i can vouch as i did open the back door of the ute getting it home yesterday and one part of the frame dropped a good meter onto concrete!!!!!!!! not a chip or scratch... pheww.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah i opted not to go with the clear coat, the powder coaters said in order to apply the clear coat the frame would need to go in the oven again, this could cause the decals to burn under the coat... he said he was happy to try but couldn't be held liable if the frame came out looking like poo. He said for other jobs many customers don't go with the clear coat for this reason, he mentioned many believe the clear coat offers more protection? however he assured me the paint job they do is incredibly strong, i can vouch as i did open the back door of the ute getting it home yesterday and one part of the frame dropped a good meter onto concrete!!!!!!!! not a chip or scratch... pheww.
I did the same. Can peel damaged decals off and put new ones on for a quick refresh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jameslockyer

Likes Bikes
Update 3!

Hey guys and girls, so I have had the new bearings put back in and I'm slowly building it into its new glory! (photos attached) Im still yet to have the decals sent from Europe and i would of expected these by now.... so time will tell and hopefully they turn up before Christmas... Im more than likely gonna get stir crazy and have it built without the decals before the weekend, and have to dismantle and re-build once they do turn up. This is taking a tad slower than though but I will keep you updated. Cheers and beers.

Attachments

slowmick

38-39"
Looks great :thumb:. I think the longer it takes for the decals to arrive the less likely it will be you will fit them...

redbruce

Eats Squid
Yeah i opted not to go with the clear coat, the powder coaters said in order to apply the clear coat the frame would need to go in the oven again, this could cause the decals to burn under the coat... he said he was happy to try but couldn't be held liable if the frame came out looking like poo.
It is a limitation with powdercoat.

Does look (really) good but.

stirk

Burner
I can't help but think just go stealth all black but the graphics you've chosen are great, lots of contrasting colours that reminds me of the 80's and 90's bikes. Looking forward to the finished build!

jameslockyer

Likes Bikes
Update 4

Well well the decals turned up!!! AWESOME. Photos attached below people, and yep i was tempted by the T-shirt and hoodie so I splurged a bit (we are coming into winter.... cough) This build is gonna be awesome and can't wait to see how this decals end up once on, already considering only putting a few of them on and keeping the frame a bit unique from the others on the trail. I will be back soon with a few more photo updates and a complete build before hitting the trails this weekend! YEEEEEWWWW

Attachments

jameslockyer

Likes Bikes
The Unveil

All done folks!, So here is the final product (I think). So the decals are on, and the re-build is complete! The reason I say "i think" is purely because I didn't use all the decals that came with the pack, to be honest once i put the head tube and down tube decal on i wanted to stop... but i put the top tube on and the FSR stickers on the chain stays after a hour of walking away and coming back rubbing my chin in thought. Obviously the new fork and rear shock decals are on and I think they added a nice edge and helped mould the overall look.

I guess latter we can always strip the stickers off areas if I wanna go a tad more discreet and keep a little mystery about the ride. So we took the bike out for a break in on the new components yesterday at old mans valley to try out the new jump park, and a Trek Slash was also there, and what I love about that bike is the simplistic design in the decals, so i might end up stripping some off mine before the frame skins go on.

In short Im really happy with the overall outcome, its brought new life into a bike that was starting to look tired and needed some life. I can't recommend NL Designs enough, their quality is amazing and the level of support on such a simple thing as decals was unreal. I also highly recommend precision coating here in Sydney if anyone wants to go down the same path, again they were amazing and helped with the choice of colours and methods needed.

So as far as costs are concerned..... $550 all up for the powder coating and decals which is a saving of $650 in comparison from the pros who take it from start to finish. I bought a new Shimano Deore group set for $700 which were going cheap on Wiggle, Sooooooo in short by spending a extra $50 in comparison to the pro quote i got the whole bike done with a new group set at the same time! Bargin I say? Obviously if your happy with the components on your ride you can make a real saving here guys and girls. Anyways cheers for those who came along on the little journey with me on here, happy to answer any questions from my experience with this and help where I can, until then enjoy some photos below, cheers!

Attachments

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Looks awesome mate. Well done and thanks for the updates along the way. Been fun to watch.