Project Enduro Frame Re-spay, Graphics, Re-build.

jameslockyer

Likes Bikes
Hey All,

I thought this would be a interesting thread to start, I'm delving into the whole new paint job on my Enduro. My thought is that perhaps others and I may learn something from this, and make changes to what i have done for their own experiment depending on how this turns out..... I have had a bit of a hunt on the forums and there seems to be a few threads relating to this, however I thought I would take you on my journey which officially starts today (well last night i pulled it apart).

Ok long story short the Enduro was looking a tad tired, the logos were beginning to start cracking on the white sections on the decals, and in general as much as l love the ride of this bike she needed a facelift or alternately part ways with a months salary and buy a new rig. With a baby on the way I couldn't justify to the missus that i needed yet another new bike (i think we all know that talk). Call me vain if you will but who doesn't like the look and feel of a fresh looking bike, a nice sense of pride! won't change my riding at all but hopefully make me feel a little more prouder of the old girl.

Ok here we go and photos will be included;

(The Existing Bike)

Bike; 2014 Specialized Endure Evo
Colour Scheme; Black and white
Rims; Although not important i have Crossmax Enduros's on the bike so they are yellow and this will play part in the adventure.

I had quotes from a few mobs all over Australia for a powder coat, and found a few companies that would re-do all the decals also with the powder coat which was on average around the $1200.00 mark. Being some what of a typical bloke i thought i could project manage this myself and save a few hundred... time will tell, watch this space!. So l hunted around last week online for a bike decal manufacture, and found a company called NL designs from Europe (www.nldesigns.eu) and they seemed to carry out allot of bike team custom designs and overhauls. Have a look at their work as it impressed me enough, so I got a quote from them for roughly $250 delivered to Australia for a complete re-design of the bikes decals from white to red. They even designed up new stickers for the shocks!!! fu*ken sweet!! The decals as mentioned are red with some yellow chicken in there to match up against the rims.

I had a quote from a local powder coater here in Sydney for $300, PCS (http://www.precisioncoating.com.au) the phone call was vague on the quote but il be taking it in today to get started and double check the price. The bike in case your wondering will be done in a matte black, im going to see if once the powder coat is done i can chuck on the decals and have a clear coat of sorts done over top to protect the stickers and frame some more.

So bare with me here team, as it might take a few weeks from go to finish but I will update as i go and would love your feedback and recommendations. In the mean time some photos attached below,

1) The bike in its glory 1 year old
2) The bike now looking a tad sad
3) The artwork proof design sheet from NL Designs (note they throw in the name/flag logos, don't think they will make the cut... and there is a option for them to tempt you with custom shirts and hoodies also) still they are pretty sweet!

Attachments

Squid
I recently had my cracked 29er frame repaired and powder coated. The powder coat, including sandblasting the frame and fork, was $80 or $90 at Central Powder Coaters in Adelaide. I also got some cut-vinyl decals off of eBay for about $20.

Before:
IMG_3737.jpg

After:
IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

Hey All,

I thought this would be a interesting thread to start, I'm delving into the whole new paint job on my Enduro. My thought is that perhaps others and I may learn something from this, and make changes to what i have done for their own experiment depending on how this turns out..... I have had a bit of a hunt on the forums and there seems to be a few threads relating to this, however I thought I would take you on my journey which officially starts today (well last night i pulled it apart).

So bare with me here team, as it might take a few weeks from go to finish but I will update as i go and would love your feedback and recommendations. In the mean time some photos attached below,
I'm very interested.
Have a 2014 29r and have pondered the idea of a respray/powdercoat.
I'm leaning to black with chrome look decals.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hey All,

Ok long story short the Enduro was looking a tad tired, the logos were beginning to start cracking on the white sections on the decals, and in general as much as l love the ride of this bike she needed a facelift or alternately part ways with a months salary and buy a new rig. With a baby on the way I couldn't justify to the missus that i needed yet another new bike (i think we all know that talk). Call me vain if you will but who doesn't like the look and feel of a fresh looking bike, a nice sense of pride! won't change my riding at all but hopefully make me feel a little more prouder of the old girl.

Ok here we go and photos will be included;

(The Existing Bike)

Bike; 2014 Specialized Endure Evo
Colour Scheme; Black and white
Rims; Although not important i have Crossmax Enduros's on the bike so they are yellow and this will play part in the adventure.

I had quotes from a few mobs all over Australia for a powder coat, and found a few companies that would re-do all the decals also with the powder coat which was on average around the $1200.00 mark. Being some what of a typical bloke i thought i could project manage this myself and save a few hundred... time will tell, watch this space!. So l hunted around last week online for a bike decal manufacture, and found a company called NL designs from Europe (www.nldesigns.eu) and they seemed to carry out allot of bike team custom designs and overhauls. Have a look at their work as it impressed me enough, so I got a quote from them for roughly $250 delivered to Australia for a complete re-design of the bikes decals from white to red. They even designed up new stickers for the shocks!!! fu*ken sweet!! The decals as mentioned are red with some yellow chicken in there to match up against the rims.

I had a quote from a local powder coater here in Sydney for $300, PCS (http://www.precisioncoating.com.au) the phone call was vague on the quote but il be taking it in today to get started and double check the price. The bike in case your wondering will be done in a matte black, im going to see if once the powder coat is done i can chuck on the decals and have a clear coat of sorts done over top to protect the stickers and frame some more.

1) The bike in its glory 1 year old
2) The bike now looking a tad sad
3) The artwork proof design sheet from NL Designs (note they throw in the name/flag logos, don't think they will make the cut... and there is a option for them to tempt you with custom shirts and hoodies also) still they are pretty sweet!
What did it look like when you dropped it off? I should say, to what level did you disassemble the bike etc?

That yellow has hurt my cornea! Far out its powerful, very nice choice. How has it held up to being peppered by stones etc?

Delazy

Got a new bike!
before (doesnt nearly show how haggard it was - had lived a hard life previously as a shop demo bike)

1001598_10152398490208222_463942902_n (3).jpg

after (with the addition of alot of new bits and pieces)

10996724_10153604986983222_5891149856027465316_n (2).jpg

What did it look like when you dropped it off? I should say, to what level did you disassemble the bike etc?
Bike would have to be pulled down to the bare frame, take out all the bearings and completely disassembled.
I pulled my Enduro apart about 18mths ago and replaced all the bearings and gave it a thorough clean before re-building.
Should have bought a bearing press. Will if I do it again. Sockets and mallet is a pain in the ass. Particularly the removal of bearings.

Had my old roadie frame powdercoated a few years back. Wasn't expensive.
Makes a huge difference.
Anyone have ideas on paint Vs powdercoat? Durability, price, finish and colour choice or any other issues?

Squid
I'm very happy with the yellow, and the powder coat has been holding up well. I did manage to crack the frame again (after four rides), but it was re-welded and it turns out that I chose the same shade of yellow you'd see on a bollard or some council warning sign, so touch up paint wasn't hard to find.

Oh, and my original choice was fuchsia (last can in the third row), but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

IMG_3837.jpg

jameslockyer

Likes Bikes
Update, day 2!

Ok guys, cheers for the initial questions and everyone sharing their photos! the yellow is bright but those decals look pretty awesome also, good work mate. So to pink poodle I have attached a few photos of the frame prior to dropping off, please note i hadn't removed the last few bearings in the arm and bottom bracket (important step). And my last ride on her prior to this experiment (Ourimbah). I stripped the whole bike down guys, everything was gone just the frame left, no bearings nothing.

The frame is looking a tad tired and a few scratches, its a bit hard to tell in these photos but the white sections in the paint work were cracking and attracted dirt which unless kept super clean just looked like poo after hitting the trails. So i dropped off the frame yesterday to the powder coaters, and i was surprised at the amount of time the rep spent with me showing me the process and recommendations etc.

He mentioned as the frame is not that old the paint would be quite hard to strip without causing potential damage, apparently sandblasting alloy frames can cause damage and potentially weaken the frame.... good to know as i don't want this thing snapping in half on the next jump.... So what he was going to do was submerge the frame in a "stripping bath" which essentially is what it sounds like, a big pool of industrial paint stripper. So he said after a few days in the bath it will completely dissolve the paint without harming the alloy.

He showed me a few different colours in the matte black, who knew there were so many shades of matte black?? i ended up going with a Dulux powder coating colour called "Black Ace" when i first looked at the sample it just looked like a matte black, but then he moved the sample (which was spayed on a alloy sheet) on a angle and the colour almost changed to a deep dark grey! then showed me in the sunlight... and man i was impressed. Who knew a colour could be so sexy!!

So he said that the cost would be around the $300 mark for the stripping and paint, depending on how many days in the bath it needed. I also passed on the colour code to the decal guy in Europe and he is using this to match the infill the areas inside the letters SWEET! I have now decided to take that original quote i got from the pros and use it as a bench mark for the whole project, so originally quoted $1200. My own project; powder coat = $300 , decals = $250, all up $550, so now I'm gonna use the spare $650 and buy a new groupset! see how this goes... stay tuned. May be a few days at least till I see the frame, but il keep you guys posted. Any questions il answer as best as i can.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
To save time + money on the acid bath you could always start stripping the top layers yourself with paint stripper. Did this on my old alloy bike no dramas, just never walk away for a coffee while stripping the paint, it shouldn't do any damage but on the off chance it does why take the chance. I found removing the top layer took some time but the paint under the clear came off easy. It still needed a bath as well after that though it got sand blasted (I asked not to but no apparent damage) but that was mostly to get paint from the tiny unreachable areas.

Save where you can so you can spend even more on a tiny little custom bit like a section of metal flake on a dropout or something that really makes the little details pop! Looking forward to seeing how this goes, when I've got the cash I wanna finish a full restomod on an older enduro bike as well, paint and all. Good luck!!

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My job

Great, cheap way of refreshing an old ride!

I redid my old Commencal Supreme Racing the same way. Satin white with black vinyl decals.

Attachments

jameslockyer

Likes Bikes
Frame has arrived

Okie dokie,

So here we are guys, the unveil of the frame! So far I'm really happy with the outcome, the black really looks better than I thought! So with 4 working days with the powder coaters including 2 days in a paint stripping bath the end result is awesome. Unfortunately its raining here this afternoon so I can't get some good photos of the frame in the sun but hopefully these give the effect under the house lights.

The decals are still a week away unfortunately, but we are getting there. So on Friday I will be taking here into the LBS for the new bearings to go back in and a new bottom bracket, with the savings from the pro quote i splurged and bought a whole new group set also from Pushys (they have a really quick delivery service!!!).

Im not sure if I will build the rest of the bike over the weekend or wait til the decals turn up to allow for a easier install, but I will be back in touch soon with more updates!

Attachments

Looks awesome.
Resist the urge to build it before the decals arrive. Will be much easier to apply them with it still in bits.
But I know how hard it is to leave it in pieces.
Will be a sweet looking rig when it's all back together.
Getting more motivated to refresh my Enduro too.