ellsworth dare??

markus

Likes Bikes
has anyone ridden a dare?
all the write up say there so good but i dont think ive eva seen one other
other than on the lisard skin ads.
what do u guys ( and gals ) think about them?

markus

Likes Bikes
yeah ive never seen one but mags and stuff say that there sweet.
i just wanted to know if anyone had taken one for sum dh runs and
how it handled

j-ro

Likes Dirt
I work at bbf, and whilst we do seel ellworth we dont have a dare instock. we do however have an ID.

Its sweet....

markus

Likes Bikes
have u eva ridden one on the trails? i just wanna know what non-reporters think about them and how they handle.

j-ro

Likes Dirt
Yeah ive ridden an ID (not the one at work) with shermans on it up at the jumps at red hill.

It pedals really well right through the travel, but the travel feels awkward and the bottem bracket arc felt weird.

but once you get used to it it would rock i geuss, just like any bike,.

I presume the DARE is the same arcs just longer coz it has the same center tracking system

markus

Likes Bikes
thanks.
in a mag i read it said that a dare was one of the best bikes from their
point of view. i just wanted to find out weather other people think its a good downhill'er or not.

Jordy

RYD4LF
i think i saw one at a race a while back ... looked strong but they could do with a better paint job

naz

Criminally Inane
go 2 bike addiction at manly better prices than bbf...
ellsworth are well worht hte money they have dropped there prices heaps...and the frames are awesome....if u go 2 BA check out squids new ride its a foes-the fly wit boxxer world cups....bastard..dont forget his atomlab rim on hope big un hub...bastard!

crozza

Likes Dirt
mmm elsworth they would be near the top of my dream bike list but a bitty about the price tag :cry:

does anyone know if they are in any recent vids/dvds??

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Careful Naz. We don't want to create a BBF/BA war! We (at BA) havent had a Dare either, but we've built up a couple of ID's, and they've been schweeeet. Not as sexy as a Foes IMO, but their centre tracking system works well. One thing I don't like about em is the BB height. The bb height they state is crap, as the ones we've had were higher. You could look at it this way... It has good rock clearance :lol:

S.

ex offender
Squidly Didly said:
Careful Naz. We don't want to create a BBF/BA war! We (at BA) havent had a Dare either, but we've built up a couple of ID's, and they've been schweeeet. Not as sexy as a Foes IMO, but their centre tracking system works well. One thing I don't like about em is the BB height. The bb height they state is crap, as the ones we've had were higher. You could look at it this way... It has good rock clearance :lol:
Their Instant Centre Tracking system doesn't actually exist... it's just a marketing thing that entirely coincidentally happens to make their bikes pedal well. The stuff they've patented is actually incorrect (although you can still infringe the patent, somehow) in what it claims their setup does. And no, I'm not joking.

j-ro

Likes Dirt
Are you sure?
I doubt that we (any elsworth sales staff) would had been taught to sell the bikes around one great big lie?

j-ro

Likes Dirt
Mate i was muckign around with the ID today and im nor sure what u mean
They pedal perferctly right through the travel and have instant centre tracking written on the side of the frame, so then coz i was still doubting, i went downstairs and looked in the broshure and its sure as hell was blowing its horn in there.

S.

ex offender
j-ro said:
Mate i was muckign around with the ID today and im nor sure what u mean
They pedal perferctly right through the travel and have instant centre tracking written on the side of the frame, so then coz i was still doubting, i went downstairs and looked in the broshure and its sure as hell was blowing its horn in there.
To tell the truth (scuse the pun), I'm not 100% sure what it is that the patent covers, or what their theory is. I have heard from far more knowledgeable people than myself, however, that the ICT thing isn't what makes Ellsworths pedal well - in fact, it does pretty much nothing.

What my limited understanding of the ICT is, is that they have set the bike up so that the Instant Centre is always somewhere on a line that would be drawn along the chain. In other words, if you drew a horizontal line that went along the chain, and extended it out in front of the BB (maybe even in front of the bike), the IC at any time would be somewhere on that line (or very close to). As the bike cycles through its travel, the linkage has been set up in such a way that the IC always remains somewhere on that line (because the line moves as the axle moves upwards; the line would point more downwards the further the bike is into its trave). I think Ellsworth believes (Tony Ellsworth isn't any kind of qualified engineer btw - just a guy who wants to make nice bikes) that this will mean that the bike will always be 100% pedal-induced-bob-free. In other words, no pedal power will be put into extending/compressing the suspension.

However, this theory neglects one minor thing: Instant Centres have nothing to do with pedalling. Had this been the Centre of Curvature that tracked the chainline, it might be a different thing - but it's not.

The reason Ellsworths pedal well is because their axle path allows chain tension to exert a slight extension effect on the suspension, which comes very close to exactly counteracting the bob induced by the movement of your body. In other words, it's like any other FSR bike but with a LITTLE bit of chain-induced extension to counter bob.

That is my understanding of their theory and why it's incorrect - whether I am correct in my theorising is another matter. Anyone who really has to know more, go to www.hcor.net or www.ridemonkey.com and ask DW to explain it to you.