DT RR1.1 vs Mavic open pro and spokes

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well after some opinions on the age old 1.1 vs open pro question.

I'm planning on building a new SS road bike. For the wheels im getting some Phil Wood high flange track hubs:)D) fixed/free and i now cant decide on rims(or spokes).
now because i care about what this bike will look like (dont give me hipster chat, its for my enjoyment and i just dont like ugly bikes) the rims have to be silver. Ideally i would have like to have gone RR 1.1 double on the rear and single on the front, however dt no longer make the single in silver. LAAAAAMEEE.

so now im stuck between rr1.1 double front and rear, which will be heavier and unnecessary, but DT:p or open pros front and rear.

I can get Open pros cheaper and they will be 60g lighter at the rim but dts have a slightly larger profile which i like. other info is both wheels will be 32h, front radial rear 3x.

also can anyone throw forward some spoke suggestions. im looking at comps for their solid dependability and reasonable stiffness, but i can also get super comps and sapim CX rays.

any help much appreciated, Asher.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I have used the 1.2s for commuting since October last year, and previously ran CXP 33s. Have not had an issue running the 1.2s being a big guy and riding rough roads (although the did one have some sidewall wear after 6 months). Unfortunately the change to Campy has meant that the wheels are now redundant, but I have been impressed and would run them again, albeit with a 1.1 on the front to save a bit of weight.

I will most probably be riding the Velocity wheels because they're cheap and seem bombproof. Much cheaper than building up some Record hubs with 1.1/2s.

I'm a fan of Open Pro's, but they have always been more expensive than the DT's and don't really offer any advantage IMO. If they're cheaper for you I'd be inclined to runch those instead.

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah its $110 for the open pros vs $150 for the 1.1s (for the pair).
im not that big a guy and in all honesty the bike probably wont see a million kilometres a week so i would prefer to drop a bit of weight where i can instead of overkilling it for the sake of bombproofing. (wheels would be overkill with double eyeletted 1.1s front and rear)

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wore through the sidewalls of my 1.1's in one wet winter here in Perth, there's too much sand on the roads, which makes a nice grinding paste. Next time I'll be trying some Open Pro's to see if they are any better.