Dropper post for Trance X1 2012

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Hi

Has anyone whacked a dropper onto the above bike or on any other Trance 2012. I'm thinking a 380mm x 30.9mm with 125mm drop. Probably a Reverb but very pricey. I know the XO of that year has the giant contact post but I can't find any specs. Any other suggestions on posts? Any info appreciated.

thanks in advance

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure Chops with chime in with his usual love of all things KS but for the price, I'd suggest an X-Fusion HILO. I paid $220 for mine and so far it's paid for itself as I am enjoying descending and jumping much more now.

moorey

call me Mia
Hey cobs. There's about 50 threads on here specifically about droppers, and given that every second bike on here is a trance, you'll find dozens of people who have done the same as you want, with various brands of dropper.
My 2c..On a budget, I'd go KS second hand.

Ivan

Eats Squid
The Giant post can be picked up second-hand pretty cheaply and its ok. I have fitted one to a 2012 Trance Advanced SL without any problems. They only come with a setback, which wasnt a good fit for me..

Kramer

FoBR
Guessing on this frame you are not going with a stealth dropper? Saw a mod on an old Reign with a stealth dropper. Hole drilled into the seat tube behind the shock looked great but totally voided warranty!

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
I'm sure Chops with chime in with his usual love of all things KS but for the price, I'd suggest an X-Fusion HILO. I paid $220 for mine and so far it's paid for itself as I am enjoying descending and jumping much more now.
An X-Fusion HILO eh? I'm not familiar with these I'll have to do some serious googling

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Guessing on this frame you are not going with a stealth dropper? Saw a mod on an old Reign with a stealth dropper. Hole drilled into the seat tube behind the shock looked great but totally voided warranty!
Yeah no stealth, too fiddly and yeah frame warranty gone

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Hey cobs. There's about 50 threads on here specifically about droppers, and given that every second bike on here is a trance, you'll find dozens of people who have done the same as you want, with various brands of dropper.
My 2c..On a budget, I'd go KS second hand.
I find the search function on this forum to be shithouse, came up with plenty on droppers but nothing specific to upgrading my particular bike. Seat tube depth etc is different between years

ChopSticks

Banned
heard my name and YES I highly recommend a KS....

But if budget doesn't allow for that PLEASE choose a cable actuated dropper... the trance frame has top tube frame tables... which you can fully utilised with a cable dropper!!!

did it to a mates trance and it looks freaking MINT !

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Given the frame is the same as the Trance X0 of the same year, which came stock with a dropper, there's no drama whacking one in as all the guides are there. Unless you're like the guy with the Reign mentioned above & not concerned about voiding frame warranty you'll have to go external routing 'cos the pre-'13 frames aren't made for stealth cabling.

ChopSticks

Banned
I find the search function on this forum to be shithouse, came up with plenty on droppers but nothing specific to upgrading my particular bike. Seat tube depth etc is different between years
i agree the onsite search to be either shit or useless..... i usually use google. Type in 'rotorburn' and pile in key words and you'll have more luck

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
i agree the onsite search to be either shit or useless..... i usually use google. Type in 'rotorburn' and pile in key words and you'll have more luck
Sweet cheers, yeah it does have guides and I like the KS posts but the bike isn't getting any younger. Not sure if I can justify the price but shit it does look good!

ChopSticks

Banned
A dropper post can* be transferred to new bikes
and given giants use a 30.9 which is the gold standard of all modern bikes you'll have no problems future proofing!

even if your new bike has a 31.6 post... You technically could use shims!?

also to consider is how well KS posts hold thier valve.... People only upgrade to KS Lev's.... Rarely/if ever do they sell.... Only for a difference size etc

save the money and get a KS from your local dealer!

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
A dropper post can't be transferred to new bikes
and given giants use a 30.9 which is the gold standard of all modern bikes you'll have no problems future proofing!

It's a standard, not a GOLD standard. I have 6 bikes and a spare frame. One is 30.9

even if your new bike has a 31.6 post... You technically could use shims!?

I do on 3 bikes with zero issues

also to consider is how well KS posts hold thier valve.... People only upgrade to KS Lev's.... Rarely/if ever do they sell.... Only for a difference size etc

Bought 2 for a mate recently, both KS, both with remote. One was $100, one was $125. One was like new (thanks JTMofo)

save the money and get a KS from your local dealer!

Not everyone drives a dented Mercedes, keep an eye out for a good second hand one if money is tight, OP
Just my 2 cents.

ChopSticks

Banned
of those 6 bike you have... how many are actually 2013+ ?....... AFAIK you have pretty old bikes (except JT's old spitfire?)... hence the smaller size?
OP said his current bike isnt getting any younger... presumably if he does 'upgrade' he'll be buying a new bike.... of which I can say 90% of the bikes in the trance category (5") will run a 30.9 post.
Me calling 30.9 seat post a gold standard isnt far off the mark.... different story for BBs and axles.

you may have bought a KS... but did you buy a lev?
(btw how much do Lev's cost new?) think JT pulled a chopsticks on you on that KS ;)

KS's aren't completely trouble free... mate got a brand new one locally and the stanchion suffered serve wear after 2 rides..... called up and had an instant replacement.
its okay if you cant afford it right now... but keep at it and save up the extra for the piece of mind buying locally.... esp if its something you will keep in the long run

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
I found an X-Fusion HILO 100mm drop. As new condition for around $180. Thoughts? Will 100mm be enough for aggressive trail riding/light AM. Seems 125mm seems to be the go in the more expensive posts. Also what about the poor mans model KS? Is it any good?

ChopSticks

Banned
I found an X-Fusion HILO 100mm drop. As new condition for around $180. Thoughts? Will 100mm be enough for aggressive trail riding/light AM. Seems 125mm seems to be the go in the more expensive posts. Also what about the poor mans model KS? Is it any good?
100mm drop might be enough

BUT!!!!!!

research and ensure once 100mm at full extension still gives you minimum insertion.... Mate found out the hard way and has an unused 100 lev gathering dust!

Poor mans model of the KS is drop zone? But speak to local distro or shops and check out the KS lev dx! Poor mans lev :)

moorey

call me Mia
of those 6 bike you have... how many are actually 2013+ ?....... AFAIK you have pretty old bikes (except JT's old spitfire?)... hence the smaller size?
OP said his current bike isnt getting any younger... presumably if he does 'upgrade' he'll be buying a new bike.... of which I can say 90% of the bikes in the trance category (5") will run a 30.9 post.
Me calling 30.9 seat post a gold standard isnt far off the mark.... different story for BBs and axles.

you may have bought a KS... but did you buy a lev?
(btw how much do Lev's cost new?) think JT pulled a chopsticks on you on that KS ;)

KS's aren't completely trouble free... mate got a brand new one locally and the stanchion suffered serve wear after 2 rides..... called up and had an instant replacement.
its okay if you cant afford it right now... but keep at it and save up the extra for the piece of mind buying locally.... esp if its something you will keep in the long run[/QUOTE
Of course I didnt buy a lev, and never will. There's that thing called a remote I have no time for.
30.9 is a common size, it's not the gold standard however you want to say it. Given that giant were largely responsible for its popularisation (as I understand), and Giants penchant for changing standards, who knows what we will see.
Yes, 30.9 is the most sensible and flexible size to buy, but it's no gold standard.
Don't go trying to deflect attention to JT. I know what he paid for the complete bike, and I got it for a price both he and I were happy with. The dropper wasn't a lev, it was a mint dropzone for a mates son anyway, so stop talking out your arse, so get back to ripping people of and trying to work around the forum trading rules.