Drop off tuning

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,

Just got an old 2005 STP to muck with and I'm trying to work out the Drop off forks on it. When I inflate them to the recommended range for my weight, they turn into a solid brick! No movement at all. Even only running positive air and no preload they are rock hard and shite.

Are drop offs this bad, or should I rip 'em open 'cause something isn't right??

Cheers

JoshyC

Likes Dirt
The guides Marzocchi give out are absolute crap as they are only a basic guide. Take some air out, Then feel the forks. If they are too soft add some air, Too hard take some out. Just keep fiddling with the pressures until they feel right, Once you've found the perfect air pressure write it down so you know them straight away for next time. I've got some 66's on my bike and found myself running a hell of a lot lower pressures than specified on the guide to get them to feel like they should.

Last edited:

lockieoc

Likes Dirt
the measurments marzocchi give you are a load of crap, they wont give you the correct measurments because they see it as creating a high risk for warranty claims against there products. the hand out those measurments just to protect there own arses.

foxx-racing

Likes Dirt
make sure you know what model they are because marzocchi swapped the sides for +air and preload in 2005/2006.

2005:
Left leg - Preload
Right leg - +air

2006:
Left leg - +air
Right leg - Preload

I run my forks softer than suggested but then again i am running a higher viscosity oil as well, but in general i find that they are great forks. So have a play with your air pressure and make sure you know that you have the right year model(can be identified by the decals - use google images)

2003 drop off
2004 drop off
2005 drop off
2006 drop off
2007 drop off

If you want you can upload a picture of your bike and I can tell you the year model.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks all for your input!

They are definitely 2005, they came on the STP, so I do have everything around the right way.

My main worry is damaging the forks, I've never ripped apart and air assist fork (and don't particularly want to) so I don't know what the internals are like.

Anyone got any pressure guidelines? I'm 85kg kitted. Using them for street and jumps etc, so I don't care if they don't work really well.

I ran them without any air in them and they were pretty sticky and dead.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Air Assist (Air PL) still uses a spring. If you had no air in the fork (either chamber), there is still a spring in there to support you though at a guess, it would be fairly soft. If your not able to compress it with no air in there, something could be up.

Honestly, Air PL often complicates things so maybe avoid using it (often creates excessive top out)...or use it minimally.

As what has been said, inflate the Positive Air Chamber to what 'feels' like a good setting. For DJing, you might want them a little firmer though, so you dont bottom them out on the big hits.

If the rebound (extention speed) is too fast or slow, this is adjusted though an internal adjuster on your fork (I think...) Needs a special tool (like a long allen key) to reach down inside though...refer to your manual for this. Otherwise, you can tune it using different oil viscosities. Stock, Marzocchis use 7.5wt....5wt will make it faster while 10wt will make it slower. If you need to use Air PL, you might have to adjust oil weights...

Adding slightly more (ie. 10cc +/-) oil will increase your bottom out resistance and make the fork slightly more progressive, but will reduce active travel in the fork (ie. 105mm to say 90 or so depending on how much oil you add).

Good luck!

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hahaha

With good reason too!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I knew there was a spring in there, but didn't even think of that preventing any damage. I just find it odd that a slight amount of air turns them rock solid. I haven't even had a chance to worry about rebound.

Definitely glad the trail bike runs Fox!

Thanks again everyone.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Yeah. The chambers require hardly any pressure to make them firm. Infact, in the AirPL chamber, you only have a 0-15psi range.