Drivetrain upgrade from Deore 10sp

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not a lot of options for Shimano but surely everyone starts with Pushys and MTBD, then CRC and Merlin. Some of the smaller Aus shops also have unexpected stock.

You could build a SLX/XT 11 drivetrain out of Pushys alone.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I don't know what happened, I must have started at Merlin and moved away from Aus suppliers.

That's a paddlin'

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stick with 10 speed across the fleet. I recently swapped my XT m780 derailleur for a Deore M5120 so I could go 11-46 and it’s ace.
If you’re satisfied with your setup, just throw Deore 10sp 11-46 on the wife’s bike with a 30 or 32T chainring. M5120 is $70 at Pushys, 11-46 Sunrace from Ali is ~$100, Deore shifter from Ali or locally. All up shouldn’t be too expensive.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Stick with 10 speed across the fleet. I recently swapped my XT m780 derailleur for a Deore M5120 so I could go 11-46 and it’s ace.
If you’re satisfied with your setup, just throw Deore 10sp 11-46 on the wife’s bike with a 30 or 32T chainring. M5120 is $70 at Pushys, 11-46 Sunrace from Ali is ~$100, Deore shifter from Ali or locally. All up shouldn’t be too expensive.
$49.99 from George's bike shop in WA. Spend over $100 and express shipping costs $1
Edit: it's a pretty agricultural looking derailleur but the price is right.

HamboCairns

Couldn't say. I've only had a m785 10sp XT derailleur and I'm yet to change to the m5120.
I'm thinking there wouldn't be much in it and not noticeable to me. Plus the 5100 gives me the option of an 11-51T cassette, although the SLX 11-46T looks more tempting.

Labcanary

I'm thinking there wouldn't be much in it and not noticeable to me. Plus the 5100 gives me the option of an 11-51T cassette, although the SLX 11-46T looks more tempting.
As a mere mortal, the important thing to me is "Does it shift nicely? Can I pedal up that hill? Will the chain stay on?" The rest makes sweet FA difference to my ride and goes unnoticed.

Personally I use cheaper derailleurs because they are more prone to damage. Between myself, the husband and the brother in law, we've had to replace a few!

10 speed would streamline your spares requirements. But if you want to dip your toes in the realm of 11 speed, just do it. 10 and 11 speed work well and are fairly budget friendly.

TL,DR just get some new parts already!

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$49.99 from George's bike shop in WA. Spend over $100 and express shipping costs $1
Edit: it's a pretty agricultural looking derailleur but the price is right.
Bit dirty I didn’t go hunting around. That is an awesome price. I agree it’s agricultural but it’s just a derailleur. I only look at it when I’m adjusting gears or cleaning it. As long as it’s blends in with the rest of the drivetrain, I don’t care.

Labcanary

Bit dirty I didn’t go hunting around. That is an awesome price. I agree it’s agricultural but it’s just a derailleur. I only look at it when I’m adjusting gears or cleaning it. As long as it’s blends in with the rest of the drivetrain, I don’t care.
I'm really surprised at the price difference between retailers, tbh. It's not just a few dollars.
You mentioned the m5120 in this thread and I figured I'd see what George's bike shop had compared to the usual suspects.
Totally agree about looking at it! If does what it says on the box, I'm good.

HamboCairns

Bugger George finished the $1 express post yesterday.

He has good prices on brakes and rotors too though!