Drivetrain options

static_X3

Likes Dirt
So, I'm buying a new bike (a 2013 zesty 214 - with a 3x10 setup) but I'm not keen on the crankset and want to change it. I'm thinking of 2 options but I'm unsure of compatibility....

Option 1.
Use my fairly new SLX triple 9 speed cranks, 9 speed cassette and brand new XT 9 speed deraileur I'll flog from my trance and fit them to the zesty.
-Will I need to swap the front deraileur and shifters aswell?

Option 2.
Buy a 2x10 SLX Crankset.
-Will I need a medium cage rear deraileur or will a long cage work fine?
-Can I adjust the limit screws on the Front deraileur and use it as a 2x10 with the 3x10 shifters?

Hope I'm making sense. I'm a bit confused!

Last edited:

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
My choice would be to use your existing 9 speed SLX cranks with the rest of the 10speed drivetrain on the new bike - no point in downgrading to 9 speed. And yes it willl work, cranks/chainrings are the only 9 speed components that can fit into an otherwise 10 speed drivetrain. If you are particularly keen to try a 2x setup, then you can even convert the SLX cranks to 2x by removing the large ring and installing a bash in its place. The 3x10 FD and shifters will work fine with this setup, although the FD won't look pretty, and you might want to invest in a new 2x10 SLX FD as it's about the cheapest part of the whole setup.

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
Just had a look at the specs of your bike - nice!

I see it has the new Shadow + SLX RD - even more reason to keep it rather than downgrading to a nine speed one.

The M552 10sp chainrings will fit on your SLX cranks, so you only need to swap in the actual cranks themselves, and keep the 10sp chainrings.

With the money you've saved not having to buy new drivetrain components I'd get yourself a nice set of SLX M675 brakes to replace the Avids, and then you'll have a great all round setup!

static_X3

Likes Dirt
Cheers, obviously the deore rings will be a bit heavier though, not that it really matters. I wont have to get new rings for a while then :)

Ive got some XT brakes along with ks dropper post, hope/flows wheelset and raceface steerer bits ive scrapped from my trance so it should be a lil weapon :)

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
Ive got some XT brakes along with ks dropper post, hope/flows wheelset and raceface steerer bits ive scrapped from my trance so it should be a lil weapon :)
Sweet!

Cheers, obviously the deore rings will be a bit heavier though, not that it really matters. I wont have to get new rings for a while then :)
Nah, the 10sp Deore and 9/10sp SLX rings are the same - ally big ring, 'composite' (steel/plastic) middle, and drilled steel granny, so there won't be any difference in weight. The weight saving between the SLX and Deore cranksets is in the hollow arms of the SLX cranks. XT rings would be a tad lighter because they use an ally granny ring.

SLX M660:-

25083_1_shimano_slx_kurbelga.jpg

Deore M552:-

27106_1_Shimano_KurbelgarniturFC_M552HollowtechII.JPG

Last edited: