Drive train change

hey guys,

currently riding a stock 2011 Giant Riegn 1 and im looking at changing from a 3 ring setup to a single ring with chain guide since i rarely leave the middle ring, my main question is would i need to 1. get a shorter chain? and 2. change my rear derailuer to a short cage instead of a long one?

Thanks in advance

Damien

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You wont need to buy a Short cage Derailluer or take any links out, pretty straight forward:).
... but you can ... for reduced chain slap and supposedly better shifting. Taking a link or two out might be a cheaper solution to reduce chain slap.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
... but you can ... for reduced chain slap and supposedly better shifting. Taking a link or two out might be a cheaper solution to reduce chain slap.
also locking out the granny ring will keep it on a touch better..
But in the end you'll get a guide.

0psi

Eats Squid
Don't go with the short cage derailleur, stick with a mid cage derailleur as they work better with wide ratio cassettes (34 or 36 big cog). Just pull a couple of links out of your chain to tighten things up a bit.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Should've mentioned I'm running 1x9 now, prompted by ordering a med cage rear mech by mistake. Bit the bullet and got a widgit to help keep the chain on and I don't reckon I'll go back to 3x9. No need to worry about crossing the chain, only one shifter etc. I did lose my top and bottom gears, but hardly used them anyway. I only ride XC so wasn't woried about a bash ring or complicated chain keeper.

If it's to hard to pedal, click one way, to easy, click the other.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doesn't the Reign of 2011 have a press fit BB anyway? You won't be able to mount any guide. That sucks IMHO. My older Reign with a chain guide is awesome.

I wouldn't go to a short cage. I run a medium with two front rings and it's a little border line when you take into account any chain movement during suspension movement. Shifting is still pretty snappy with the medium cage anyway.

so in other words cant be done!! It does have a shimano BB71 press fit bottom bracket. wasnt too worried about the short cage but the chain guide was the main question. Thanks heaps

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Doesn't the frame have ISCG mounts for a guide?
Short cages throw at the same angle as long if they're the same model mech. It's only road ones that don't throw up a steep spread of MTB gears.
You'll need a chainguide if you're running one ring up front or the chain will come off. If you have something on the top of your chainring to keep the chain on, you can still back pedal the chain off.
If you only XC, and don't think you need a bashie, check out the Mozart WOG guides in the link below in my sig. Stupid light.

Last edited:
no it doesnt have the mounts for the guides, but im sure there is a way of getting around it, im going to go down the local bike shop over the weekend and no doubt he would be able to point me in the right direction