downhill pedals?

Rhys Eames

Likes Dirt
what are some really good pedals for downhill freeride? no clip ons though!

i just want someone to name a few brands

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
The flat pedal market has exploded recently, it used to be very narrow with only a few standouts but there is heaps now. Check TBSM/CRC. My pick is the Spank Spikes.

Rasatouche

Likes Bikes
I'm only running some basic mongoose pedals on my rig ATM, and some old well-go ones on the am rig, and havnt ran into issues yet. I mean pedals are one of those parts I try to colour match to my bike more than anything, as long as they're flat and have spikes I'm set.

link is the place to look. Do you guys find much differences in your riding with different pedals outside of saving weight I suppose?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
A few will say Wellgo Mgs ... and the equivalent rebadged affairs ... and if its bang for buck + weight that your measuring on then yeah cool.

I found my feet blowing off the suckers with 5.10s on @ thredders yesterday ... never really had a run where either my foot didn't slip off, and or I got my foot back on the way I wanted it ... and we all know how shitty it is trying to adjust your foot on the pedal while wearing 5.10s.

Pushie are bringing in Burgtec now so have a look around
Burgtec-pedal-steel-Products-Gold__72020_zoom.jpg

We are also waiting on the first shipment of the Loaded Pedals
ewb-4e8cef40352f7-product-front-screen.jpg

Both Burgtec and Loaded are available in Chromo or Ti as well as an array of colours including black :)

Head to Cycotic.com.au, Insanecycles.com.au or Blackmancycles.com.au, as well as several other stores. If they don't have them up, give them a call and they'll sort ya.

driftking

Wheel size expert
The flat pedals for 2012 are looking mint

Chunked have a pedal coming out
New specialized flats look good with some good design going on
Burtec always get a mention in these threads
wellgos also always have a good mention
Straitlines of course a top runner
The new crankbros look nice, I used to use the old 5050 and never had a issue great pedal (others hated them and they fell apart)
Tioga zero are bullshit low profile if you want that.
Point one are low profile but the axel is higher than the platform so makes for a weird foot feel in some cases.

Really depends how worried you are about weight, the new chunked pedals look very good but are not the lightest set of pedals.
Personally Im keen on testing the specialized and new 5050 with the straitlines been a obvious backup/wildcard.

asdfben

Likes Bikes
Hands down the new straitline AMP's
Had a ride on Ty's bike from KONA. Wasn't even riding with 5.10's and they were still the grippiest pedal I've ever used.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Point one are low profile but the axel is higher than the platform so makes for a weird foot feel in some cases.
Sounds misleading. The axle is only higher at the crank. Crankin has only had one big footed customers that say they've not liked them because of it, and one other that noticed it. I've never had an issue with it with size 10 5/10s. And they're still pretty much the lightest and thinnest pedal you can get.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
DMR V12's

I have had one set for 12 years now, from a XC bike through three DH bikes. Replaced pins at least three times.

I like them, I added extra long pins, my feet feel very secure with them, the concave shape of the platform seems to hold your foot in place.

devilmachine

Likes Dirt
I picked up some nukeproof proton's the other day and rate them quite highly, full day riding yesterday with no pedal slippage. I'm wearing vans gravel's, I find the majority of fiveten's to be fugly as all heck, but each to their own. The Danny MacAskill's have caught my eye though.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Sounds misleading. The axle is only higher at the crank. Crankin has only had one big footed customers that say they've not liked them because of it, and one other that noticed it. I've never had an issue with it with size 10 5/10s. And they're still pretty much the lightest and thinnest pedal you can get.
I was going to grab a set as all the reviews do seem good with only a few people mentioning the feel of the axle, it was more that the pedal felt as though is sloped out with the inner foot sitting ontop of this raised area at times, its not something that is a major neg with the pedals from what I have read, The only factor that stopped me buying a pair was they dont work with grip racks, you can file down the edges but Id rather just get another good pedal that i dont need to alter.

Tackta23

Likes Dirt
another for nukeproof protons, even with standard pins this are amazing, i can pedal, smashing through problems without a doubt! highly recommended.

BKelly

teh fast
Point Ones!

Recently got a pair of the Point One pedals from Crankin Imports and they are sick!

They are by far the best feeling pedal I have ever used, super low profile, super grippy and good weight at 359 grams!

The only downside with these pedals is that once you buy a set you will want to buy a set for every bike you have.

I have also tried most other pedals mentioned in this thread . . .