Downhill Bike Weight

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Nope, its in mid air balancing
A novice mistake.

When you're weighing your bikes, it's best to actually pick it up, and stand on the scales yourself, get the weight, than weigh yourself without holding the bike.

Dh2

Likes Bikes
A novice mistake.

When you're weighing your bikes, it's best to actually pick it up, and stand on the scales yourself, get the weight, than weigh yourself without holding the bike.
Will do tomorrow, if the weight does indeed change I will update the thread

ChopSticks

Banned
FUCKING LOL
no wonder you're getting a lower no.
the weight youre taking off the bike just to keep it upright would be a massive difference.

hold the bike up and stand on the scales, then subtract your weight.
i know you live around beecroft/epping? ... give me a PM and you can weigh your bike at mine with some fish scales.

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
Are those Racing Ralph tires?? They might save a kilo or so but I would be very surprised if they last even a single run on a DH bike. I had problems with them tearing to pieces on my XC bike hahah... You WILL pinch flat or rip a hole in the side wall as soon as you hit a track that is even slightly rocky.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Struggling to believe these scales, my carbon nomad with lots of expensive bits - Zelvy wheels, Next SL, Pikes is not much more than a 1.5 - 2kg lighter. Forks alone are 750g lighter. Shock 500g, cranks 400g...

Appears to be nothing special parts wise, steel coil, giant branded items, the flow wheelset with what appears to be Hans Damps, saves a bit of weight, but I wouldn't considered this a reliable combo for serious DH. Put some tyres on there with a DH carcass.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Struggling to believe these scales, my carbon nomad with lots of expensive bits - Zelvy wheels, Next SL, Pikes is not much more than a 1.5 - 2kg lighter. Forks alone are 750g lighter. Shock 500g, cranks 400g...

Appears to be nothing special parts wise, steel coil, giant branded items, the flow wheelset with what appears to be Hans Damps, saves a bit of weight, but I wouldn't considered this a reliable combo for serious DH. Put some tyres on there with a DH carcass.
+1

As already mentioned have a crack at holding the bike and subtracting your weight.
As MWI said the build is not super light part wise and the parts that are lighter options may end up been replaced anyway with some more dh tires.

Best bet for the future is buy some hanging scales.
I'm still curious on the weight. Giant website gives some speil about weight variances. Obviously they don't want to give and average within manufacturing tolerances, everyone else can at least give a guide.
This makes me inclinded to think they top the heavier end of the scale.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate, I know this will attract all the "mine are good" bullshit, but I've used quite a few different scales for work, gave up using bathroom scales after trying all kinds over the years as they can be all over the place. They usually rely on 4 sensors so putting the weight off centre may also affect the result, it may be ok but best to centre the weight.
A Hans D front and Racing Ralph rear are hardly worthy downhill tires. I'm sure everyone can drop a kg off there DH bike by running a cross country tire setup. I wouldn't even run that combo on my all mountain bike unless it was very smooth, dry and no rock gardens.

So while I think your claimed weight is close enough (allowing for equipment and measuring inaccuracies) it is hardly a downhill setup.

moorey

call me Mia
^ I took the 222 on a 60 km trail ride yesterday. Weighs a respectable (for 11 yo bike) 16.3kg on hanging scales....but I banged nobby nic tyres on. Have to add at least a kg for tyres that will go close to handling a Dh run.
My home bathroom scales read 2kg light, they are not a good way to measure a bike.....interesting to hear that that's how chops weighs the yeti :whistle:

marc.r

Likes Dirt
it makes me question even more how giant managed to make the new reign 2 with its supposedly light weight frame and medium weight wheelset 14.5kg. I was dead set on buying one until i found this out...

ChopSticks

Banned
interesting to hear that that's how chops weighs the yeti :whistle:
Use a set of hanging digital fish scales
have tried to check accuracy by weighing something on the digital kitchen scales, then again on the fish scales, and both give the same reading. So I assume it's accurate?
will take it to a bike shop once all the weenie bits are done :thumb:

driftking

Wheel size expert
OP did you ever get a hanging scale or even a massive veterinary scale to get a accurate measure?
I'm curious what it did end up as.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive got my medium V10 full carbon down to 14.7kg (using bathroom scale, weigh myself then weigh myself holding the bike and subtract the two).

Full Carbon Frame
2014 Coil Fox 40's
2014 Vivid air rear shock
XO Cranks
Csixx Carbon 150g chain guide
Easton Havoc wheels

With any luck if I hold the front wheel off the ground while I weigh it I can can get it to 10kgs.

Fingers crossed.

binner

Hath shat hymself
You got nothing i need

Bilt eight @exactly 17.5, really going to fuck it over,watch and learn fools.....