Downhill Bike Weight

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have seen a mate drop his alloy rig well below 15kg. I cant remember actual figures. (Votec frame, only one around here at the moment apart from a DaBomb show bike. if he ever rides it you will notice it)
The only reason he was able to do that because he had no god damn budget. (set of enve wheels and carbon everything else later)
he rode it a few times, then actually chose to put the weight back on, just because the amount of comprimises he had to make when going full weight weenie.
i think he is happy with it at about 15.8kg

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'd be checking them scales.

Although Giant never publish bike weights in any of their mucketing material, they do tend to spout numbers at new season launches. The lightest factory-spec Glory I've been told is about 16kg.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I'd be checking them scales.

Although Giant never publish bike weights in any of their mucketing material, they do tend to spout numbers at new season launches. The lightest factory-spec Glory I've been told is about 16kg.
Its its factory spec id had a bet that it was not running pedals either.

Dh2

Likes Bikes
14.8 are you sure?

That is ridiculously light for a glory. I question this because anyone who has spent the money getting a bike that light would already have an idea what is considered a good weight. If you bought it second hand and it is in fact 14.8kg, it is one of if not the lightest glory I have heard of and the previous owner spent a lot of money making it that light.
100% sure, pics coming tonight

Staunch

Eats Squid
Its its factory spec id had a bet that it was not running pedals either.
Those "Light" 2010 Glorys also came with single ply tyres and XC tubes to achieve that factory weight. Realistically they'd be about 17-17.5kg stock once you put some real rubber on them.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
fuck... all this doubting makes me wonder if my own scales are wrong?..... will def take it to a bike shop to confirm!

OP..... 14.86 is def impressive if you can pull it off... but more DH bikes I've lifted are wayyyy heavier

driftking

Wheel size expert
When the 2015 bikes arrive in a few weeks, I will weigh it a post actual weight, with pedals.
Claimed weight is probably for small too. Looks good though if they can pull those numbers off or even close its not a super light build so its impressive.
The new pivot phoenix carbon is impressive and that tips the scales at 15.3 stock (medium) with carbon wheels, including pedals. Alloy rims and a ti spring would still pull you close to 15.5kg. No doubt thought that will cost you a few pretty pennies compared to the mondraker.