Double chainring setup

Rik

logged out
I was just wondering, who here uses double chainring, and how did you go about setting it up?

I'm planning to run a 32/42 setup with a narrow bottombracket, just wondering what other solutions there are?

Rik

logged out
A few reasons... I never use my 22, plus I want to run a narrower (108mm) bottom bracket to reduce Q factor (currently my knees aren't having fun), so I thought, why not?

A 28/42 setup wouldn't be too bad, but I want optimum chainline with a narrow bottombracket, so I think 32/42 is easy (plus don't have to buy any more expensive chainrings).

But I'm still interested to know what others are running, what combo, what bb width, and anything else to note.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
I used a 2 ring for a while and unless you are in really hilly areas it worked very well. Smallest I could run is a 29 tooth (from Cannondale) as the 28 tooth is too small causing the chain to run on top of the spiders arms. If you are worried about your knees, just buy some Eggbeaters or Time pedals as they have a lot more float than spds.

Spds cause huge pain to my knees but they are good with Times.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
29/42t all the way.
With Shimano BB's, go the 109.5mm spindle
With ISIS BB's, go the 108mm spindle.
32t is just a standard cring so you'll have no probs, but the 29t's are designed for 2x9 specific cranks. In other words, they are narrower than other crings, and would require cring spacers. I think 0.8mm is what I use, but will vary depending what big ring you use (think or thin)!

Rik

logged out
I'm already running times. Just threw them on, but it feels a bit awkward right now, as it feels my feet are too far apart. This in turn means my knees have a bit of sideways force on them that they shouldn't have... and that's something I really have to be careful of considering my left knee is already rooted.

So reducing Q factor will make things a whole lot more comfortable.

Rik

logged out
Well I did it, I'm running 32/42 with a 108mm BB, and it's perfect!
I'm yet to take it off rode, but belting around town I was in the big ring, and especially after doing so much time on a singlespeed, I can't see the need for a 22. The 32 will be reserved for offroad climbing only, because I'm now a big ring stomper :lol:

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I had a 42/30 when i ran a 2 ring set up... that was in the days of rapidrise XTR and 8spd drivetrains... i didn't run spacers though...

Toxic

Likes Dirt
I used to run a 24-38-bashguard combo and it worked fine. I switched to a single 38 with a chainguide for some punishment. The 11-34 cassette makes this OK, although at the Mont 24 hr I would've preferred a 34 to the 38 ring.

But seven weeks of not riding before hand probably didn't help either.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
Another option if your granny isn't getting much use is to go for the new 04 XT crankset and BB. I just ordered one with a 26, 36, 48 setup... So an extra 4 teeth on each ring.

I can also vouch for the eggbeater pedals and bad knees, having that float really takes the pressure off.