don't lose it!

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I think a good idea for trying to stop bike theft would be to have a searchable database on the internet somewhere. If you had your bike stolen then you would list it on the database and then when someone buys a second hand bike they would simply punch in the bike's serial number and see if it was stolen.

I have bugger all computer knowledge and wouldn't know how to go about doing this but someone else may be able to.
now that is an idea

Jordy

RYD4LF
they dont even have that for motorbikes yet.... my dad was gunna make up a site where you put in your motorbikes info and it uploads it...... the government wouldn't fork up the cash for it so it never happened

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
our insurance company (NRMA) made us get one of these after 2 breakins:

works a treat- i'd recommend it to anyone!!!

jow

Likes Bikes
look into motor bike locks and chains... their mostly ALOT more expensive than mtbs and are stolen almost as frequently... so their locks and chains are HELL beefy and tough!

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
but if motos are stolen almost as pften even though they have beefy locks wouldn't that mean thye locks aren't that good.

apsilon

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know any places in Sydney that stock the full range (or at least the upper end stuff) of Kryptonite locks? I've just bought a new bike and would like to get a new lock to go with it but so far I've only found places that sell the entry level of the range and if I'm going to buy something it may as well be the best I can get.

maka

Likes Bikes
locks

Dont leave it for longer then half an hour i reckon.Any lock can be destroyed in 1 hour ,and cable locks i wouldnt even bother with except to stop a spare of the moment thief, my mate had a $50 combination cable wrapped around his seat post and frame and couldnt remember the combo,3 rotations around the cable at full squeeze with high quality pliers killed it instantly,shame his girlfriend found the combo on the old lock box that night .

Gonzo

Likes Dirt
I don't think it is really worth spending $200+ dollars on a lock. I think you would be better off spending the money on a huffy and then use that to get around and leave your good bike at home.

cheggy

Likes Dirt
You can open a kryptonite lock with a biro, which is most disconcerning, especially as I use one myself. The newer "New York" range is supposed to stop this problem, but it shows that nothing is capable of stopping thieves.

I have only just started riding again after 4 years off, but I remember back when I use to ride, you could get barcodes installed into the headset with satellite tracking on them, just the same as you can get with cars and motobikes. It wasn't that expensive either and while it doesn't stop them from nicking your bike, it can help bring these thieves to justice, whether it be by the cops or with an old steerer tube.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
i have a lock up room at work for my baby, and when i go to tafe i demand they let me have it in the class room. if a teacher says no, then i tell them ill either go home, or they can foot the replacement cost. they comply usually.

otherwise, if i have to lock up, i normally do it with one of the huge ass tioga chains, or i ride an old clunker.

its a pity we have to do this, but until the unscrupulous give up, its going to be the norm.

W2ttsy

apsilon

Likes Dirt
Gonzo said:
I don't think it is really worth spending $200+ dollars on a lock. I think you would be better off spending the money on a huffy and then use that to get around and leave your good bike at home.
Only problem with that reasoning is that trends seem to be that more bikes are being stolen from peoples homes and simply leaving it in the shed or garage isn't good enough. While you're out and about on your huffy your good bike has just been nicked.

dok

Likes Bikes
A good thing to do if you have QR wheels is to remove both wheels and attach them to the frame and then remove the skewers from these wheels and take them with you. Most skewers will fit in the average pocket and don't weigh much. Even if the shitbag manages to remove the lock its going to have a hard time escaping with a frame and two wheels and will look very suspicious.