Does my bike look fat in this?

Volatile

Likes Bikes
Got a shock today when I put this,

.. on the scales at work today, 15kg!

Here i was thinking that all this talk about weight saving was just a way to spend more money for not so great gains.

I'm riding this thing 18k's a day as my commuter, should I be throwing lighter parts at it, or trading up to a 10-11kg bike?

It's gotta be a near clone of what I have, just a little lighter if so

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well the kenda k-rad tyres weight a tonne, and maybe swap the 8" rotors for 6"?

that's just at an initial glance.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
um... sorry, that dosen't look particularly light... everything looks more heavy duty/robust

Volatile

Likes Bikes
Sorry, old photo, K Rads have been replaced with a slick type tyre, though not any lighter, but I guess they roll better.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Attempting to save weight on that is like ordering a diet coke with a double quarter pounder meal. No matter where you start it's going to be futile and expensive.

Don't bother, focus your effort on getting a new bike.

Jazz

Likes Bikes
Just ride it like that, not like your racing it, the heavier your training/commuting bike is the lighter your race rig will feel.

.Alex.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well... firstly you need to ditch all the stickers and probably the paint, there are at least 20grams there, then wash it dont want any heavy dirt,
also loose every second spoke who needs 36 or whatever,
cut your bars and seat post shorter,
after all this you should be down a full kilo mabe, :eek::eek:
he he:D

Steve the dog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hahaha yeah I'd go with the pealing off the paint and stickers LOL, nice one .Alex.

but why don't you feel pitty for the ones who are riding 18-20kgs poor us...or maybe its just me... no ones as silly as i am to ride my bike (its not a cheap one either!)... also if your feeling rich you should go with the full carbon fiber forks, stem, handelbars, seat post, shifter, derailers, crank, pedals, crank arms, water bottle, tyre pump, water bottle holder, seat post clam, spacers, grips, lights, discs, chain, hell even the frame, then stick your apollo sticker on there and there you have it, an apollo that weights 20grams... have fun!:D

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a commuter! Who cares how much it weighs, as long as it does the job and is reliable.

My commuter is a steel standish that I recently single speeded. I'm sure it weighs a tonne, but it does that job with barely any maintenance, just fine, year after year.

Keep it as a commuter. If you're doing other stuff and it isn't cutting it, then worry about fancy gear.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a commuter! Who cares how much it weighs, as long as it does the job and is reliable.
It is nice to have a light and fast commuter though - as long as reliablity isn't compromised.
I've just switched from a MTB with fat tyres to a roadie that weighs half as much. It's a great feeling just zinging up the hills with each pedal stroke, much better than plodding along.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sure it depends on circumstance, but when you start breaking stuff, getting flats, or (and I hope this doesn't happen) it gets nicked because it's too nice a ride, the story will be different.

I reckon commuters should be cheap, ugly and not worried about weight. There is something equally as nice about being able to park wherever the hell you like (usually right in front of where you're going), doing a half assed job of locking it, and it's still there and ready to go when you get back :)

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Sure it depends on circumstance, but when you start breaking stuff, getting flats, or (and I hope this doesn't happen) it gets nicked because it's too nice a ride, the story will be different.

I reckon commuters should be cheap, ugly and not worried about weight. There is something equally as nice about being able to park wherever the hell you like (usually right in front of where you're going), doing a half assed job of locking it, and it's still there and ready to go when you get back :)
second that.

It is heart breaking when one of your favourite bikes are stolen. (and they are all my favourites)

.Alex.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hahaha yeah I'd go with the pealing off the paint and stickers LOL, nice one .Alex.

but why don't you feel pitty for the ones who are riding 18-20kgs poor us...or maybe its just me... no ones as silly as i am to ride my bike (its not a cheap one either!)... also if your feeling rich you should go with the full carbon fiber forks, stem, handelbars, seat post, shifter, derailers, crank, pedals, crank arms, water bottle, tyre pump, water bottle holder, seat post clam, spacers, grips, lights, discs, chain, hell even the frame, then stick your apollo sticker on there and there you have it, an apollo that weights 20grams... have fun!:D
haha yea i was just having a good time thinking of all the crazy ways to make it lighter,

petertronica

Likes Dirt
Some quick sums for you:

18km commute, call that 1 hour riding per day (dunno, 9km each way??)
x 5 days a week
x 48 weeks per year

= 240 hours per year riding that bike.

Why not thoroughly enjoy those 240 hours? I have a reasonable nice commuter, I ride away on quiet backstreets or through parks only, and I really enjoy my ride to and from work.

Regarding your bike, don't bother trimming weight, just get a new lighter one and sell that one. By the time you've replaced the heavy parts there'd be nothing original left and you'd have spent twice what a new one would have cost.

Just make sure you have a good d-lock if your new bike looks expensive.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Is that 15kg with the accessories? Ditch that heavy looking battery pack and halogen light - get an LED light and some Lithium ion cells with just enough capacity for your commute. That could save you a few hundred grams easily.

Pour the water out of your canteen! :D

But 15 kegs for a full rigid bike?! There's just no escaping the fact that it's built for comfort, not speed. ;)

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But is loosing 5 kilo's tops going to make it that much more enjoyable? Keep the fatty for commuting, and if performance is really your thing get something fast for the weekends.