Does anyone know how to undo the 20mm axle of a 2010 Marzocchi RC3?

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
I've been trying to unscrew the hex bolt but to no avail... I've looked up the service manual and it doesn't show how to remove it so I can fit the tyre in.

:help:

B.utters

Likes Dirt
It shouldn't be too much trouble. I never undo the pinch bolts and have to take my wheel off to fit my bike in the car to go anywhere.

This might sound stupid but have you tried an allen key in each end of the axle to stop it rotating?

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
It shouldn't be too much trouble. I never undo the pinch bolts and have to take my wheel off to fit my bike in the car to go anywhere.

This might sound stupid but have you tried an allen key in each end of the axle to stop it rotating?
There's only one hex/allen key that can turn the bolt. There's a funny looking lug sticking out of the other end that can be moved with the finger and it looks like a lugged spring bolt but I don't know how to undo it. Service manual doesn't have anything like it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Assuming the axle is that same as the early 55s: As you undo the axle you need to hold the 'funny looking lug thing' in towards the middle of the hole. The lug is meant to catch on the fixed fork 'ratchet' pieces to prevent it unscrewing out on the trail. Once you clear these ratchet pieces the axle will unwind until you run out of thread, then just pull the axle out. One thing to be aware of though is if the axle and hub have become stuck together with a little corrosion or dirt you can actually unwind the axle and the fork legs start to spread open. Keep an eye out for this. If this happens the best option is squirt CRC or your spray lubricant of choice along the axle being very very careful not to spray onto the disc or pads and then to get a couple of heavy duty cable ties and tie the two legs together (not stupidly tight, just firm) and then unwind the axle. The cable ties will stop the legs spreading apart (insert your snide comment here) and Bob's your aunt's partner.

Does this make sense?

EDIT:

this sucker

Last edited:

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Thanks Dale, I think you got what I meant.

I'll give this a go tomorrow (while I'm still in Sydney).

In the meantime, I'm making fine adjustments to my single speeder to do a 50k for 2012 City of Sydney SpringCycle. Who's coming?