[DJ/Street/Park] Eastern Black Betty... riding on rigids!! (pg 4 with pics)

hartss

Likes Dirt
How about a white black betty? :D

Here is my ride and i havnt seen anyone with this frame here yet. Am i the first?
I bought this frame second hand a month back and have done it up with secondhand and new parts. So far it owes me $1100. Seems like a very nice ride to me, awesome snappy rear end, and very light (~12 kg as is now). Upgrades soon include flyweight tubes (running MAXXIS DH), new pedals/grips/seat, highrise bars, lowered/new forks.

Specs first.
frame: Eastern Black Betty (09)
fork: NS RNS '08 rigids
bars: NS Districs, 60mm rise
stem:Hussefelt, 40mm
headset: Stolen, 45/36 degree
rear brake: Avid BB7s, Odyssey lever/cable
grips: Black Stolen Money
pedals: Eclat plastics, purple
front wheel: Gold Aerial hub, black single track ... Soon to be changed too proper microlite, purple dartmoor
rear wheel: Purple DMR Revolver mini cassette, NSbikes trailmaster rim, Alpine III spokes
tyres: Holly Rollers, maxxis DH tubes ...less weight here, tabletops and latex tubes
cranks: Fit flow cranks
sprocket: 25t shadow conspiracy purple
chain: KMC superlight
seat: pivitol
clamp: inbuilt

Comments please on specs and which bars :D
Dont really have unlimited funds but on a parttime job it will just take a while to save...

Writing in red are the parts to be changed, writing in blue are parts that have been changed.

Attachments

Last edited:

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
very nice bike their mate, ride her hard and this bike will be able to handle whatever you throw at it....except stuff that requires braking:rolleyes:

Toff

Likes Dirt
I once rode one of these frames (it's just a Nighttrain by a different name, right?) set up with 80mm Argyles and 3" Blk Mrkt Bada Bings. Amazing feel, best park/ street bike I've ridden to date.

The spec is good, different people will choose different brands but there doesn't look to be anything inherently inferior. My only recommendations would be to get some form of 25.4mm clamp stem and Bada Bing combo, and get rid of those tyres.

Something like the Kenda Combo (NPJ & SB8), Schwalbe Tabletops or Geax Booze Lights will be more than enough for DJ/ Street etc. use. And don't use flyweight tubes, they're ridiculously thin and weak. Standard lightweight tubes will be fine, something around 160g should be reliable at around 55-60 psi.

hartss

Likes Dirt
cheers guys! much appreciated.
I wouldnt know about the nighttrain thing but it could be as these where sold as frame only not a complete build.

About the 25.4 clamp; I reckon i will keep the 40mm stem as it is lighter/stronger then most and i will just grab some shims when finding new bars.

Forks will be the next major move (lowering or new) as i am getting the shits from the geo being soo far out!

Cheers again :D

:[TYL3R]:

Likes Dirt
Hey mate, nice bike likingthe color scheme.
As for bars, have a look at ns habenero. I'm running them on my dj.
Crc does them really cheap aswell and you don't have to run shims!

hartss

Likes Dirt
cheers all!

bars will probably be a little way off but i will order them along with a 23t sprocket (purple), pedals, grips and stem hopefully :D

Some pics of the rear wheel in, it is out again at the moment as the spokes have bedded in/stretched so it will be getting another true. First impressions on the NS Trailmaster rim is that it is bloody fantastic, stiff build and had one hard case which (even with loose spokes) didnt bend. The join isnt the best as in straight so has a bit of a lump which cannot be fixed by a wheel true. Nothing noticable once a tyre is on there though :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One suggestion, do not get flyweight tubes!

If you look at them, they will puncture.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I believe i was the First Harts lol. Nah but it prob is the only blackbetty frame, but their a re a shit load of nighttrains which are the same frame just named different because its a complete.

hartss

Likes Dirt
haha cheers Rexy! what do you use?

Mr_Hanky, i thought that was the case but this one is a custom build much nice :p:p

Some pics from today, doing a totally different style riding compared to what im used too (4x at the 'Goatfarm' in Midland, near Perth. Did alright but wiped out a few times due to being brakeless :p

Rim handled all my casing very well and is still straight... :D very happy with it

Attachments

hartss

Likes Dirt
NS District bars on their way, <$50 from rhythm imports including postage! They are the 2008 model but who cares? White in 60mm rise...

Also ordering two 26x2.25 Schwalbe table tops, and four lightweight tubes in the near future to loose ~1kg to make it come in at under 11kg :D

hartss

Likes Dirt
I have added some avid BB7s mated with Odyssey mono-lever with slik cable and 6inch rotor.
Oh nd got some new black grips :D. Will try organise some pics....

Did the biggest stair drop the other day, ~3.5 drop to flat concrete, not something i will be doing again without a helmet!. Will try get the vid.

Still hope to get some new tyres/tubes combo to get rid of the access weight. This needs to wait for more funding as i spent it on brakes.

IF anyone wants some CREAM NS districts for cheap PM me, i want white not cream, these bars have never been mounted.

EDIT: Updated spec list

Last edited:

hartss

Likes Dirt
Short vid of a lil bit of fun early on in the piece... getting the hang of it now after giving it a few shots. Will take any tips to make it look smoother/neater.

Still sourcing some other riding vids off mates so will get them up ASAP.

Last edited:

hartss

Likes Dirt
Got my new bars on :D. 2008 NS Districts, 60mm rise.

Made some 5mm spacers (YES 5mm!!). 22.2mm bars, 31.8mm stem. I know it is probably not ideal, but it works. No pinching on bars, but still need a proper test ride!

Picssssss..... :D

Attachments

hartss

Likes Dirt
Ohks i am loving the new bars!
Had an accident with them though ;) (pivot and a sign went between by knuckles and lever, pushed and snapped the lever, scratching the paint badly). Ahh well they where bought to be used :D. Just have to remember to watch out for signs now *dooohhhhp*

Just a random pic with the new purple eclat pedals!. Wanting a black pivitol seat if anyone has one in good condition???

alto-mtb

Likes Bikes
hey mate was just wondering how your rear wheel set goes about.

I was thinking of getting the exact same just with a blue or purple rim.

Is the hub good and are the rims still good?

hartss

Likes Dirt
hey mate was just wondering how your rear wheel set goes about.

I was thinking of getting the exact same just with a blue or purple rim.

Is the hub good and are the rims still good?
The hub is a bloody ripper! Absolutely zero maintence so far, has never misbehaved. I guess it is a bit heavy but going by the amount of hubs i have destroyed i guess i would sacrifice weight for strength. The hub is convertable between 10 and 14mm axles. Im running the 14. Just make sure these converted bits are tight! Oh and the driver can become annoyingly loud ;)

The rim however is stuffed already. The spokes/nipples are beginning to pull through the wheel. I have sent an email with pictures back to rhythm imports where i bought them and still have no reply! (its been near on two weeks!). I would not suggest these rims. My next ones will be the dartmoor rims (either the raider or trixie) from fearless cycles or 'sethius' on here. New stock comes in june though :S. They come in some fantastic colours though! :D

As for spoke/nipple combo im happy :D Havnt snapped one yet and this includes a few stuffed up grinds where the rear wheel hits the end of what i was intending to grind.