DIY trail snacks

xshippx

Squid
What do you take with you out on the trails to keep you going?

I recently moved back to Aus from Canada where Cliff Bars were my go to. They're harder to get here and almost prohibitively expensive.

Recently I've been taking a PB and Banana sandwich in a ziplock bag and stuffing that in my Cammelback. Usually eat it in two goes.

Anyone got any solid energy bar recipes?

What else do you use?

Liberty555

Likes Bikes
There are heaps of good recipes online. Check out GCN on YouTube.

Like you said though... banana and a jam or PB Sanger. Can't go wrong. Honey is good too.

Andrewww

Cannon Fodder
+1 for GCN bars.

Clif bars are my favourite yet i can't justify $4 a bar.

Dried fruit strips from woolies or coles tend to be easy to down and are easy to carry.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Clif bars are $2.50 a bar at 99 Bikes. When buying them by the box, my local store drops it to $2.00 a bar.

Cheers
Muz

Markee

Likes Dirt
Bananas! And dried fruit and nut mix. Just have to buy bulk lots of the nuts to make your own mix. 500g of each with say 6+ different items lasts a fair while. Wifey also uses them in all manner of food we eat while blitzing them in the damn noisy Thermomix!

Geoff Gump

Likes Dirt
Chocolate chip biscuits (bulk carbs) (also contain protein which is helpful for rides longer than 2-3hrs), and/or bananas (bulk carbs).

My number 1 trail snack of choice is the humble ANZAC biscuit. Make all my own & occasionally slightly bastardise the recipe with some toasted & crushed macadamia nuts in the mix. Add an extra 25gm of butter to the recipe (ie 150gms butter/1 cp flour/1cup oats/1cp coconut/quarter cup of golden syrup/ 2tblsp water- makes 30-32 biscuits) if you prefer them slightly softer (easier to scoff down on the bike). Easy a heck to make & will keep you going all day.

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
Homemade Muesli Bars

While we're sharing here is my recipe for homemade muesli bars.

I use the food processor to chop up the nuts.

Ingredients
1 cup raw almonds, chopped
1/2 cup raw peanuts, chopped
1 cup oats
1/4 cup flax seeds
2 cups Rice Bubbles
50g dried cranberries
75g dates, chopped
75g sultanas
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
30g. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Spread the almonds, oats, peanuts and flax seeds on the sheet and bake about 8 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer to a large mixing bowl with Rice Bubbles and dried fruit.

2. In a saucepan, bring the sugar, honey, butter and salt to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until the sugar dissolves and a light brown caramel forms, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.

3. Pour the caramel over the dry ingredient mixture and stir in until evenly coated.

4. Line baking pan with baking paper, extend the paper over the sides of the pan to use as a handle later. Pour the cereal mixture into the baking dish and spread out into an even layer. Cover the pan with a second piece of baking paper and press down to compress the bars. Let the mixture stand for about 2 hours until firm.

5. Discard the top piece of baking paper and use the “handles” from the second piece of baking paper to gently remove the cereal square from the pan then cut into equal size bars and serve.

I worked out the nutrition numbers per 100 g the other day;

Energy Total Fat Saturated Fat Sodium Carbohydrate Sugars Protein
1826 kJ 19.3 g 3.9 g 287.0 mg 56.6 g 41.3 g 8.2 g

The fat is a bit high because of all the nuts and seeds. Sugar is pretty high as well. If I knew how to get the dry ingredients to stick together without some much sugar I'd be happier.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wild berries n grubs and sometimes grasses depending on their sugar content/season.
Fuck yes! Well to the berries at least. I ride past a few mulberries and black berries quite often (season permitting). So good for a power burst.

I like an ounce bag filled with nuts, dried fruit, seeds, gummy bears, sour worms, and a light sprinkle of salt. Seeds stick to allocate sticky stuff and make gummy bears seem healthy.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
blackberries are great when in season, down here in VIC its been dry so i dont think much of a harvest this year [me & kids picked 8kg] after i found some good bushed i raided coming back from a ride

what about thin strips of road kill lightly seered on a rotor after a steep downhill drop?