DIY GoPro MTB backpack 'aerial' mount for less than $20

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I think thats very cool.
TBH when I first saw your setup I thought your video footage would be too shaky but the clip you've posted looks great.
The camera angle you get is similar to people who have poles on their helmets but your method looks far safer IMO.
Kudos from me.

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Nice work, getting some nice angles from it!

I built one into an old $5 op shop hiking pack to shoot a recruitment video for a mates BBQ joint. Used pretty much the same PVC piping and taped the joints. That way I can quickly change it round into different positions if need be.

[video=vimeo;74343386]https://vimeo.com/74343386[/video]

I've ridden with it a few times but the majority of a trails in Tassie are just too tight and it ends up getting caught on trees and shrubbery!

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
I think thats very cool.
TBH when I first saw your setup I thought your video footage would be too shaky but the clip you've posted looks great.
The camera angle you get is similar to people who have poles on their helmets but your method looks far safer IMO.
Kudos from me.
thanks Hugor. I made the backpack frame primarily for shooting stills but I'm pretty happy with the video footage especially how the rider's head, body and bike are able to move independently of the camera. I think that looks far more natural vs helmet based mounts where the rider's head appears to be rigid with the body dangling beneath.

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Nice work, getting some nice angles from it!

I built one into an old $5 op shop hiking pack to shoot a recruitment video for a mates BBQ joint. Used pretty much the same PVC piping and taped the joints. That way I can quickly change it round into different positions if need be.
sweet!

I just pre-drill the tubes in different spots so I can swap stuff around on the trail with a small phillips head. I kinda like the idea of having it screwed together, especially when the boom is a fair way out in front of you.