Disk rotor size

x3foz

Likes Bikes
Ha everyone I'm looking at upgrading the size of my f/r rotors to 203 front and 180 rear currently I'm running a stock trance x3 with avid 1 brake set up. Is there much benefit to be had from this sort of upgrade or am I throwing money away. If also be getting some natural fiber pads and a fuild flush!

Sent from some fancy iThingy

SummitFever

Eats Squid
What's your reason for wanting bigger rotors? If your brakes are setup properly and your pads and rotors are in good shape any size rotor will give you enough braking power to lock the front or rear with one finger. Larger rotors do give you more power, but the real benefit is they are less resistant to brake fade and over heating on long descents (or if you've got some bad habits like dragging the brakes). So basically, if you're overheating your brakes in the riding you are doing, go for bigger rotors. If you're not overheating your brakes, but your brakes don't feel powerful enough, then look at servicing your brakes, perhaps try new pads - something powerful like the Discobrakes ceramic pro compound.

x3foz

Likes Bikes
A lot of it is the need to tinker with thing. Maby ego aswell but with the 160 rear I do find it over heating on long down hills I don't tent to drag breaks. Just as I thought what would happen thx ppl

SummitFever

Eats Squid
If its tinkering then go for it. Experimentation on different setups is well worth it, and the cost of some larger rotors with the necessary adapters is not much at all.

x3foz

Likes Bikes
If its tinkering then go for it. Experimentation on different setups is well worth it, and the cost of some larger rotors with the necessary adapters is not much at all.
Yeah I love moddin cars but never really touched bikes so here goes I guess head first

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I don't know what you're running on the front, but you will definitely get more power upgrading from 160 to 180 on the back. Personally I think 180 front and rear is enough for a bike like yours, 200 on the front is a full-on DH setup.