Discs vs. Rim Brakes

Dinga 2319

Likes Bikes
Hey people,

planning on building a new 20" trials bike, but im not sure weather to go for disc brakes or hydraulic rim brakes.
Im looking at getting Avid elixer 5's which i think would be good for trials. Any suggestions or comments?

cheers

Bradster

Likes Bikes
For a dedicated trials bike, such as your mod, magura with good pads and a grind is probably the best option. I have a 24" street/trials that I use a disc on, it works quite well and is quiet but can slip every now and then when I want it to grip.

Both options can work, but magura is out of the way and you know it will lock every time. Discs can be bent very easily and can slip causing you to land of your but/head. The most important part is setting the system up properly.

Lilley

Likes Dirt
Both system work really well when set up properly.

On a mod discs arguably have a slight advantage because the offer a lot of power over the small wheel size. On a 26" bike rim brakes offer excellent performance due to the large diameter rim acting like a large diameter disc.

Some riders do have problems with the Avid brakes snapping through the mounting arms when used for trials but there are also plenty of riders who use them without a drama.

A Hope rear disc is your most proven option for a dual disc mod set up.

Personally I run my mod with:
Formula R1 Front disc on a 6 inch Avid rotor
Rear Magura HS33 rim brake with TNN LGM pads and brake clamps on a good grind.
I am super happy with how this system is performing right now.