Dirty stinking downhillers

demo man

Used to be cool.
i've never washed my helmet, i just let it dry over a few nights/

like alister said - how do you wash your helmet?
i have a m2r moto helmet (cheap, heavy, non-breathing, strong as) if that makes any diff.

as for armour - well honestly my mum does it after a race or if i've been at thredbo or something.

she just soaks it with like nappysan or something and then hangs it out to dry. sometimes i'll soak and dry a second time though, depending on the smell.

and W2ttsy, water ristrictions u idiot! how many litres do you waste in 2 hours? be a biot more responsible, jeez. a bucket would be heaps better.

i wash my gloves bu wearing them, and then washing my hands as normal really well. if they are bad then i will soak and dry them before i do that.

so - helmet methods please...

RCOH

Eats Squid
W2ttsy is in Tasmania, they have an abundance of water & it tastes better too. :p

I have never washed any of my armour & very rarely wash my gloves. They were banned from the house they smelt so bad.

error_500

Likes Bikes
I havent washed my pads or gloves yet, but i think its time to get out all those blood stains out

Last edited:

alister

Likes Dirt
With the water here in tassie:
it wont be that plentiful soon with 'Gunns ltd.' attempting to pipe up to our already deleted store for their proposed F*k!n paper mill.

A word of advice.. if Gunns ever starts buying out your state.. jump up and down and make a big fuss before they get a hold on your government. You should see the propaganda down here put out by those leeches. Like putting dracula in charge of a blood bank.

Back on topic: Just chuck the whole lot in the washing machine.. gloves armour, shoes... the whole lot. Shoes particularly.. but the entire lot comes out looking new ;)

Last edited:

projectsplat

The film guy
Hi Alister,

Not a common spelling of the name. I have only met one other person who has it spelt that way.

Cheers

Alister

- ps - washing armour regularly is a must. My dianese gets washed after every ride. When I first started riding, I would go for months without washing my gloves or shinnies. The gloves rotted in about 3 months, and i started to develop this nasty rash on my shins. oh, that and the fact that the smell from the shinnies could make you gag once they warmed up.......

slo

Likes Dirt
ha ha ha, self confessed 'smelly' rider. my stuff doesnt get to much of a wash, and it doesnt seem to be to smelly... compared to me at the end of a day riding :D

timmo

Likes Dirt
Gotta say, this is the main reason I don't want to get a shuttle trailer - cos then I end up with a car full of my smelly mates :) (and me).

I know if I leave my armor in the car boot overnight, the whole car starts to smell. I usually wash my armour about every 2nd ride.
I've found you need to be careful about it, as I soaked my 661 under shorts in laundry detergent a few weeks back, and forgot to rinse them properly and ended up with a few rashes on my hips and thighs from the detergent.

Fallsrider

Likes Dirt
I put all my gear ( apart from helmet, grrr ) in the tub with some mild detergent and soak it there for awhile, then rinse it out and soak it again.

Works quite well.

And don't you just love that smell of washed armour and gloves. Reminds me of that sweet sensation of slipping into a nicely mad bed with clean sheets.

Ok will stop now, bring on that clean armour. Nothing worse than sitting next to dudes in the shuttle and having to face the opposite direction...

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
Christo said:
I don't wash my armour very often, maybe once every three weeks or when the smell is noticeable.

But hey, you'll just end up stinky after a good day of riding in the heat - why fight it?

Embrace your manly muskiness...
Here here! Thats what i reckon, and in the machine it goes, just drip dry not spin!!!

Why is it that all you blokes have something against another blokes natural smell of old stale bum sweat? Were only human. I for one really dont mind the stale old smell of another blokes bumsweat stained armour, its just part of the deal hey. Its easier to just buy new stuff once every year or two than to wash it, jeesh...

coen

Squid
i only just got my armour so it aint smellin yet but i have to wash my gloves they always stink. so far i just air my armour out but i think its about time for a wash.