Diference between 222 and 223?

keldave1

Likes Dirt
I currently have an 06 giant dh comp and want to know what the handling differences between an orange 222 and 223, as well as what years were these made in? I wish to use the bike for racing.
One last question is should I just keep my comp? or would I be better off with a 222 even. I want to go faster and learn to stop brake draging:)

I sat on a 222 acouple of years ago and though it felt like a big BMX bike which would be cool as thats the background I have come from.

P.S. I'm a racer not a hucker.

pinned--->

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It really depends on your riding style. I’m a heavy/plower sort of rider so I would be no good on one at all. I think you should be fine if its a race specific bike, but my mate (djdude) does light freeride on one (jumps etc). Only difference I know of between them is an extra MM of travel on the 223 (223mm) I believe the 222 finished being produced in 03, 223 was 04-06 and 224 onwards. This whole paragraph could be total bull shit but at least I tried :eek:. They are two very different frames but I think you will notice a huge difference in performance on the orange :).

shiznik

Banned
It really depends on your riding style. I’m a heavy/plower sort of rider so I would be no good on one at all. I think you should be fine if its a race specific bike, but my mate (djdude) does light freeride on one (jumps etc). Only difference I know of between them is an extra MM of travel on the 223 (223mm) I believe the 222 finished being produced in 03, 223 was 04-06 and 224 onwards. This whole paragraph could be total bull shit but at least I tried :eek:. They are two very different frames but I think you will notice a huge difference in performance on the orange :).
Actually, Im pretty sure 2002 was the last of the 222's and 2003 was 223.
How much travel are 222's?
just fyi, Ive got late model 222 on the way.

keldave1

Likes Dirt
Thanks so far.

Has any one ridden a 222 and a 06 comp? Although a 222 is like 3/4 years older do they perform/handle better than a comp? I would like an Ironhorse or glory, but they are hard to come by.

shiznik

Banned
Thanks so far.

Has any one ridden a 222 and a 06 comp? Although a 222 is like 3/4 years older do they perform/handle better than a comp? I would like an Ironhorse or glory, but they are hard to come by.
If you really want to you can come and test ride mine when it arrives in the post...

pinned--->

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks so far.

Yep ridden both.. I don’t really like the feel of single pivot but that’s just me. The back end is very responsive and skips along the rocky sections. The comp is nice and corners well, but the 222 is a higher end frame no matter the year. I can't give much of a review on the 222 compared to the giant, but I'm sure many people will say its a lot better (222). I'd say its down to riding style/personal preference. Try and have a good decent ride on the 222 and see how you like it compared to the comp. As I said before they are two very very different frames. Good luck mate!

keldave1

Likes Dirt
If you really want to you can come and test ride mine when it arrives in the post...

Where do you ride? If I can have a go on an orange that would be fantastic!
I can't ride on sundays cause have to watch my little boy while wife earns som crust:p
I must say I have been on sikpuppy's glory and was impressed. But with 222's going for cheap it's tempting to just get one and try it out next season.:)

dl79

Likes Dirt
The 222 that I rode for a few runs convinced me to change from my flogged out Giant DH Team to a 224. The Orange bikes are an awesome race bike as they accelarate quickly and corner like they are on rails. The Orange design will let you know if you are dragging too much brake by giving you some brake jack but this will actually help you to learn to brake in the right spots anyway imo. The Orange is a much more lively ride than my old Giant and has proven to be virtually maintainance free as far as pivots etc. go.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Like a few of the boys have said it's down to your riding style and how well you are riding.

Came off a V10 to an orange. And I have to say it's definatley changed my riding style completly. With the V10 it was pretty much point and plow through a section where as with the Orange they tend to skip over rough stuff, and coming from a dj style background gapping things is where it's at for me.

Cornering and jumps is where I found the Orange to be at it's forte, also with the single pivot it lets you know when you hit something.... As with drifting, not sure what it is but driting on a single pivot bike, it's something special.

As for the brake jack, if you can there is a model with a floating arm about if you can source one. PM me and we could talk fromage.

Also withthe difference between the bikes. Pretty sure the first gen of 223 were near identical to the 222 but some of hte later model 223's have a 3in stroke rear shock and 9in of rear trave; where as the 222 and early 223 had 2.75 in stroke and somewhere around 8inches of travel.

Last edited:

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I went from a Yeti DH9 to a 223, and I had my best result on the Orange. I think you'll find the Orange will make you ride differently (off the brakes, lighter on the bike) and will help you progress. Don't be fooled that an Orange isn't a plow bike (they plow well, albeit noisily), it boils down to how aggressively you ride.

Given the choice between a 222 and a 223 I'd go the 223 handsdown- they rectified some of the problematic areas of the 222 (dropout, swingarm and headtube), not to mention the lighter weight

Also withthe difference between the bikes. Pretty sure the first gen of 223 were near identical to the 222 but some of hte later model 223's have a 3in stroke rear shock and 9in of rear trave; where as the 222 and early 223 had 2.75 in stroke and somewhere around 8inches of travel.
All 223s have the longer shock. Different tubing (so different shaped triangle and swingarm) and a lighter weight are the main differences. 222s did in fact come with 150mm spacing from 2003 onwards.

Last edited:

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the 222 had 135mm rear spacing too??? 223 is 150mm.

Anyway I've got a 223, bought it in the beginning of 06 and have been doing all the state rounds and a few clubies. The pivot is still as tight as the day I got it, so yeah very maintenance free! Its got a very long wheelbase and the bike is very low with plenty of standover clearance, BB is set at 13.5" and I run the fox DHX in mine. Cornering is amazing and the bike is very light and like to pop off roots & rocks rather than plow. The rear end can tend to get out of hand a bit around corners but its easily kept in control and makes it more fun to ride! its also very easy to throw arounf tight technical corners.

I've never tried a 222 or 224.

I'm taking it to Whistler for 5 weeks in the bike park next week so it should get a solid workout there!

top_dog

Likes Dirt
I would keep the Giant.

I've ridden my 224, Lee's 222, and my brothers Giant, and really the difference is not worth the outlay IMO.

And.

222 (-03) 8" travel, 135mm rear end
223 (04-05) 9" travel, 150mm rear end
224 (06-) 8.5" travel, 150mm rear end

jackie boy

Likes Dirt
Ive ridden a mates Orange 222 and was hooked so i have recently bought one! Still in the mail but it should make an extreamly good bike:D