Did I get played like a fiddle? (bikeshop)

markgab

Likes Dirt
So not gonna name the shop that I have an issue with.
But I wonder, what would you do if in my situation?
Should I escalate matters?

24/12/14
Called X shop and asked if they stock 26x2.20 tires. Shop said yes and price was $70, I told them that when I checked their International website the tires are $30.
The guy over the phone said they have never been that price.... due to exchange rate etc etc they are $70, he even said if they were $30 each he'll buy 10 of them.
So I told him, i'll shoot an email and find out if the price is as he stated or the website and decide from there.

I was quite unsatisfied with his demeanor over the phone, lousy customer service.
He could at least check the website, but instead choose to say "If they were $30 each he'll buy 10 in a witty tone".
So I decided to email the International head office, explained the situation and question the MSRP.

02/01/14 (Friday)
Australia's regional department emailed me and rectified the problem saying the shop incorrectly priced the item and was told I can purchase them for $30 each.

Me: So on the same day I called the shop and asked if the tires are available.
Shop: Yes they have 2 left and are $30 each. *on the background over the phone I could hear the stuckup manager whispering )@*)(*()#@() it's $30*
Me: I said i'll purchase the last 2.
Shop: When would you like to collect them.
Me: Monday 05/01/15 and I left my name and mobile number.
Shop: I'll reserve them for you till Monday.

05/01/15 (Monday)
I went down to the shop and they were like, sorry we've only got 1 tire.
There were suppose to be an order arriving today but by the looks of it, it's not going to arrive as we close in 10minutes.

What makes me come to this conclusion "played like a fiddle"
I called on 02/01/15 and they said they have a pair of tires and would reserve for me for the 05/01/15.

I was not informed when they only had 1? I left my contact number and the guy already knew what was the problem when I said I''m here to buy 2 2.35 tires without check their database.
So they already knew they had 1 o are they lying to waste my time? Hmmmmms I wonder
His defense was: stock was suppose to arrive on Monday... why did they tell me over the phone that they had 2 sets of tires left on the 02/01/15?

What would you do?
Call the regional head office?
Or let it be?

It's so unprofessional of them, I wonder if I was 1) or 2)
1) If they knew they had 1 tire, why wasnt I informed
2) They played me, as I escalated matters to their International office? LOL Should I do it again?

Correspondence

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/markgab/2-6.jpg~original

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/markgab/1-5.jpg~original

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
1) they had 2 tires when you rang some one wanted one tire they expected stock so sold one and got caught out.
2) they thought they had 2 tires when they went to put them aside they only had one.

I am tipping number one as I do it all the time to not miss a sale for a regular customer.

Why are you ringing head office? What's the resolution you want? People love to complain like they are doing the shop a favour but really just expect free shit. Not saying you expect free shit just saying what do you expect from complaining you will still only have one tire.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
No, you're being paranoid and thinking the worst.

I reckon most likely is they sold one over the weekend - probably by a different employee who didn't know they were put aside deliberately.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree the most likely scenario is it was sold either by accident or to a loyal customer.
What would I do? I would have just jumped online and bought a 2nd tire.
You already escalated it by emailing the head office and stating your dissatisfaction with the customer service.
Don't fret so much, just go and ride your bike.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
This all happened on Christmas Eve? And you got a response the day after New Years from head office..... What incredible company is this?

Three

Likes Bikes
I think you're looking into to it to much. It's only a tire. I've had hassle with complete bikes in the past.
I'd suggest just go elsewhere and put the loss of a sale on their shoulders. We all get screwed over from shops at times and then they wonder and complain about us shopping online.

sammie_wood

Likes Bikes
1) they had 2 tires when you rang some one wanted one tire they expected stock so sold one and got caught out.
2) they thought they had 2 tires when they went to put them aside they only had one.

I am tipping number one as I do it all the time to not miss a sale for a regular customer.
I do this as well.

C. Guy bought it himself, but wished there were 10 at that price.
Could be that as well :pound:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Sounds like you were asking a lot for nothing and making staff be more dickish to the rest of us. Just be cool man. They're just people. Pay what they ask or don't, simple as that IMO.

Last edited:

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you didn't mention if you paid for them over the phone when placing the order? No payment = if another customer, especially a loyal one, comes in and needs a tyre that they have limited stock of... guess what.... they are not yours. payment = a contract of sale, a verbal in this instance = nothing.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And, like so many others, you'll now simply just purchase from CRC or Wiggle so as to get better quality service.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
With the manager being rude, then then not holding the tyre when they said they would, I'd just be shopping somewhere else from now on.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
If someone asked me to hold something and had no intention of paying for it until they picked it up the yeah, I'd treat it as stock and sell it to whoever got to it first.
It's also worth noting that I hat the whole "will you match an online price" thing. I never haggle, if I want a product then I'll pay for it. If that means shopping around and getting it my way then so be it. Businesses don't exist to do favors or sell stuff for the bare minimum, they exist to make money. None of us would have a job if everything was bought and sold for zero profit.

^dave

Likes Bikes
If someone asked me to hold something and had no intention of paying for it until they picked it up the yeah, I'd treat it as stock and sell it to whoever got to it first.
That's fine, but in this case the store agreed to reserve it. If you are intending to sell it if someone else wants it, then you should have the common decency to tell the guy.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
It's also worth noting that I hat the whole "will you match an online price" thing. I never haggle, if I want a product then I'll pay for it. If that means shopping around and getting it my way then so be it. Businesses don't exist to do favors or sell stuff for the bare minimum, they exist to make money. None of us would have a job if everything was bought and sold for zero profit.
Yeah this is the crux of it. Shop has to make profit to exist and to pay staff who spend a lot of wasted time with people haggling to match online shops with less overheads that bulk buy cheaper, so can sell cheaper. The staff don't enjoy having to charge more than a bulk buying less overhead online shop. Wholesale prices in Australia are often higher than online prices, so shop owners are in a bit of a pickle.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, rocking up 10 minutes before closing after asking them to hold it is stretching it a bit.

I always offer to pay via c/card if requesting a item to be put aside.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Also, rocking up 10 minutes before closing after asking them to hold it is stretching it a bit.
If they said they would hold it why does it matter what time he got there? Still bad service.