DH WORLD CUP 2015 - follow the season here with predictions, laments and discussion!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That is def one of the more gnared tracks we've seen for a while. Going to be a hell interesting race.

We need to see the development of a small, fast drone that can map/learn terrain such as a DH track and follow/film a small tracking device mounted on a bike. That way the drone can follow through the trees (after it has followed a walk through of a trail and maybe a few slow runs so the drone can properly map/learn) and film the rider down the whole trail from differing angles. Maybe, if we stretch the imagination, the smaller drone that follows with the camera can relay the imagery to a larger/heavier drone that follows above the tree line, which receives and transmits like a powerful repeater to a base station that then transmits the live picture on to our screens.

I'm just going to assume that all this is possible and complain that it doesn't occur.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is def one of the more gnared tracks we've seen for a while. Going to be a hell interesting race.

We need to see the development of a small, fast drone that can map/learn terrain such as a DH track and follow/film a small tracking device mounted on a bike. That way the drone can follow through the trees (after it has followed a walk through of a trail and maybe a few slow runs so the drone can properly map/learn) and film the rider down the whole trail from differing angles. Maybe, if we stretch the imagination, the smaller drone that follows with the camera can relay the imagery to a larger/heavier drone that follows above the tree line, which receives and transmits like a powerful repeater to a base station that then transmits the live picture on to our screens.

I'm just going to assume that all this is possible and complain that it doesn't occur.
I love the drone ideas. However, the Lourdes track looks like a patchwork of good bits with what almost anyone could ride separating them. Seems like a compromise rather than great DH. Might create some competition, but my guess is it will be boring apart from dudes crashing as they try to gain speed that is not there. Some of the alternate lines at the top look cool, but they will make no difference at the bottom. Lourdes is a dud. Limestone rocks here and there do not make it good. Whatever, the coverage we get will cut out all but the bottom 1/3.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I love the drone ideas. However, the Lourdes track looks like a patchwork of good bits with what almost anyone could ride separating them. Seems like a compromise rather than great DH. Might create some competition, but my guess is it will be boring apart from dudes crashing as they try to gain speed that is not there. Some of the alternate lines at the top look cool, but they will make no difference at the bottom. Lourdes is a dud. Limestone rocks here and there do not make it good. Whatever, the coverage we get will cut out all but the bottom 1/3.
I'm just going to assume you're being sarcastic....

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Lolwut? Pietermaritzburg was a better WC opener then?

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
So I was looking at redbull.tv and it had two times, 12:30PMGMT and 10:30PM

Which time would be for us?

God damn I hate time zones.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Speaking of helmets, uci are a pack of dicks. From the Vital Lourdes thread (go here http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Official-Lourdes-World-Cup-Thread,8484?page=3 ):

this memo from the UCI indicates that helmet cams are NOT allowed on a rider's helmet (we've been told chestys and any body-mount camera is not allowed too) unless 3 specific conditions are met. the 1st condition requires a UCI waiver to be signed, but those waivers have not been available apparently even though this memo states the waiver is "enclosed." mounting the cameras on the bike is ok. seems the rule wasn't enforced too much on this first day of practice, but will be from here on out.

So goodbye to helmet cam runs (what about Claudio?) until someone creates a standard for helmet cam mounting or, more likely, builds one into a helmet.

Last edited:

heavyp

You heard it here first
So I was looking at redbull.tv and it had two times, 12:30PMGMT and 10:30PM

Which time would be for us?

God damn I hate time zones.
The french our 8 hours behind AEST

GMT is London (UK) 9 hours behind and the rest of Europe are 1 hour ahead of the UK.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
The french our 8 hours behind AEST

GMT is London (UK) 9 hours behind and the rest of Europe are 1 hour ahead of the UK.
Umm... Okay, but that doesn't really answer which time on redbull.tv is relevant to us?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Speaking of helmets, uci are a pack of dicks. From the Vital Lourdes thread (go here http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Official-Lourdes-World-Cup-Thread,8484?page=3 ):

this memo from the UCI indicates that helmet cams are NOT allowed on a rider's helmet (we've been told chestys and any body-mount camera is not allowed too) unless 3 specific conditions are met. the 1st condition requires a UCI waiver to be signed, but those waivers have not been available apparently even though this memo states the waiver is "enclosed." mounting the cameras on the bike is ok. seems the rule wasn't enforced too much on this first day of practice, but will be from here on out.

So goodbye to helmet cam runs (what about Claudio?) until someone creates a standard for helmet cam mounting or, more likely, builds one into a helmet.
Reading the whole form it seems like an insurance liability thing.

Although that doesn't account for chest mounts.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I think lourdes will suit Brendan Faircock (because he is a whinger) and sam hill quite well. If it rains then Hart or Ratboy may have a better chance.
There is no doubt that Bruni has stepped it up over the last couple of years. Connor was looking fit on the hill here last week and so was Brosnan. I am really rooting for Fearon this race. He really needs a break from being the guy who lived near Brosnan thing.

Wynn Masters may have realized last year he really needed to step it up and if Crankworx is an indication, it looks like it has.
I was really looking forward to a Smith vs Ratboy vs Brosnan young man battle but, doesn't look feasible.

Gwinn and Atherton piss me off for some reason. It just look like it is fun for them anymore.

Lourdes prediction:

1.Bruni
2. Ratboy
3. Hill if he races, gwinn if hill doensn't
4. Brosnan
5. Brook McDonald.

Wildcards: Connor or Wynn
Most over anticipated: atherton

ajay

For those interested Here is a link to the live timing.

Juniors done, Women just about done. I wont put a spoiler in here, but its a great result so far!

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
That track looks amazing. I just got so keen to ride. The only thing I wanted to see more of were line options. I like to see big areas with a bunch of different choices and no obvious fastest line. Maybe the videos don't give a accurate representation of that aspect of the track but I do hope we see riders taking different lines and really working the track in different ways. I enjoy seeing how riders find different lines.

Two riders I'm really looking for are fearon and Thirion. Thirion's style has always impressed me and his got the speed as his stepped on the top step before, his always the dark horse I watch out for.

I'll give the top 5 a crack.
Men
Gee
Brosnan
Bryceland
Hill / gwin
thirion

Women
rachel
manon
Ragot
Seagrave
Nicole

With some focus and home cheering for Tegan Molloy and Tracey as always.

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
Interesting. Tracey first.
Gwin DSQ... but protected so still racing. Gee big crash. Go the Aussies!!!

Should be a good race @ 2230 tonight.

Last edited:

ajay

Loic!!

Man, the footage coming out of quali/practice is frightening.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Yeah some of those crashes are nasty good to see they didn't seem injured, with the exception of Gee who knocked himself out. The race tonight is going to be a corker with Brosnan, Fearon and Lucas coming down in that order, some great qualifying results last night.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Looks brutal, but remember this....

the Lourdes track looks like a patchwork of good bits with what almost anyone could ride...

Seems like a compromise...

my guess is it will be boring...

Lourdes is a dud. Limestone rocks here and there do not make it good.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Any track that's a 480m drop over 2k's is hardly going to be a dud, I hope it's sarcasm that's not quite portraying itself through my interweb. I hope.........