DH WORLD CUP 2015 - follow the season here with predictions, laments and discussion!

DeBloot

Feeling old
I'm about as religious as a sock
But apart from Gwin's amazing riding skills
He's always very humble and grateful and thanks his pit crew for their hard work
And he keeps his focus and just gets on with the job despite tyres running of rims or broken chains

GeoffRidesBikes

Likes Dirt
Shitty's relative, a bit like your judgement. Definitely a 200% improvement on Leogang of old & clearly provided a huge challenge for the racers- the top20 mix of riders & the podium is testament to this. Want to know a genuinely shit track for a WC, then I'll leave you with one word- WILLINGEN. Made Leogang look like MSA.
Yeah i'll pay that. My judgement is relative, just like yours and everyone elses. Leogang just doesn't excite me much.

Don't get me wrong it was bloody amazing to watch. I couldn't believe it and was on the edge of my seat - and it could only happen to him too! Whoever that was talking about the alternate universe in which his chain didnt break and whether he would have been that much faster - who knows? I reckon there is merit to the theory that knowing he couldn't pedal made him ride it better as a result.

Not gonna see anything like that again for a long bloody time either way. I'm glad i stayed up to watch it....i was umm'ing and ahh'ing about it for a while and almost didn't

EDIT: More alternate universe pondering - imagine watching that run last night back in the Warner/Freecaster days when he was fucking wasted in the commentary box all the time. That was some serious glory days for commentary. Just imagine it!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Spider/Cable cam like they use at the footy.
I don't think it was. I looked hard for it from other angles and didn't even see anything it could attach to, let alone the camera or cable.

Also it showed a lot of different angles, speeds and heights. I'm pretty convinced it wasn't a cable-cam - money is on a drone here. And man, I really hope it was and the trend grows. Can you imagine full race runs from two drones buzzing the rider?!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I reckon there is merit to the theory that knowing he couldn't pedal made him ride it better as a result.
Definitely. Throw caution to the wind, got less to loose and just trying to salvage as much as he could. He'd have to be thinking that he was really back in times and was just trying to rake back as many points as he could. The only way to do that was to carry speed and zero mistakes. Would probably make you focus more, I reckon. Maybe not pedaling makes you less tired at the lower areas of the track and you make less mistakes?

Last year's Leogang was a pretty interesting race, this years was one of the best races in the sport's history.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I don't think it was. I looked hard for it from other angles and didn't even see anything it could attach to, let alone the camera or cable.

Also it showed a lot of different angles, speeds and heights. I'm pretty convinced it wasn't a cable-cam - money is on a drone here. And man, I really hope it was and the trend grows. Can you imagine full race runs from two drones buzzing the rider?!

Yet again red bulls production budget is insane, such high quality for an outdoor broadcast, let alone on a mountain in the middle of whoop whoop. A drone shadowing a rider that can avoid the trees would be very cool.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Definitely. Throw caution to the wind, got less to loose and just trying to salvage as much as he could. He'd have to be thinking that he was really back in times and was just trying to rake back as many points as he could. The only way to do that was to carry speed and zero mistakes. Would probably make you focus more, I reckon. Maybe not pedaling makes you less tired at the lower areas of the track and you make less mistakes?

Last year's Leogang was a pretty interesting race, this years was one of the best races in the sport's history.
Definitely. I remember doing chainless runs at Buller after a drive train issue and I felt faster and smoother everywhere. Its all mental, it puts you in a different zone. Probably some truth in conserving energy from less pedaling too.

Still can't friggen belive it.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

It was there, saw it during one of the women's runs, in one of the alternate camera angles it showed it in the air overhead. Definitely a cable. The upper section one where the tunnel was located was a boom camera.

It was there, saw it during one of the women's runs, in one of the alternate camera angles it showed it in the air overhead. Definitely a cable. The upper section one where the tunnel was located was a boom camera.
Yeah, also thought drone until one of the finish arena shots facing back up course & there was definitely a spider cam overhead as well. Certainly the best variation of shots to date. 10/10.

Beej1

Can you imagine full race runs from two drones buzzing the rider?!
Kinda like Air Dog (https://www.airdog.com)

At this stage only suitable for clear, open spaces (water sports, track sports etc). But once they pair it with emerging autonomous control tech, such that the drone both follows the wearer as it does now, but dodges fixed obstacles as well ... it'll be like watching ourselves in a video game.

ajay

Downhill calendar 2016:

9-10 April: Lourdes, France
23-24 April: Cairns, Australia
4-5 June: Fort William, Scotland
11-12 June: Leogang, Austria
9-10 July: Lenzerheide, Switzerland
6-7 August: Mont Sainte Anne, Canada
3-4 September: Vallnord, Andorra

6-11 September: World Championship, Val di Sole

MarioM

Likes Dirt
So who do we like for this weekend ? So many big names with a lot to prove after some ordinary results . Can Connor make it onto the podium again ? Another Gwinning run ?

ajay

After last round, it seems the field is back to jostling over 2nd place! I'd like to see Connor consolidate his position in tbe top 5. Beyond that... jeez I don't know, too many possibilities now.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've still got a feeling that Bruni will get a win this year, could be this weekend but far out, betting against Gwin is a big call. I'd like to see Stevie Smith get back on it and podium, he spiced the racing up a few years ago and it'd be great to see all the past winners on form and battling for wins separated by tenth's of seconds.

ajay

I've still got a feeling that Bruni will get a win this year, could be this weekend but far out, betting against Gwin is a big call. I'd like to see Stevie Smith get back on it and podium, he spiced the racing up a few years ago and it'd be great to see all the past winners on form and battling for wins separated by tenth's of seconds.
Yeah Loic is on the brink of domination. Once he learns to back up his qualifiers, he'll be throwing it to Gwin. I hope we see Rat, smith, Loic, Gwin and (hopefully!) Hill all in form without injury next year. Its a shame there were so many injuries last year/this year.