dh tyres

hey

My tyres on my dh bike are nearly bare after 6 months of solid riding :mad:and i dont know what tyres i should put on next as i dont know which tyre last longer or are more grippier for a resonable price?:confused:

i currently have kenda nevegal and they have been good but can i get better quality tyres for around the same price?i ride mostly downhill/freeride with a bit of street/dj's

Last edited:

billymtb

Likes Dirt
I also agree, i currently have a minion on the front and a high roller on the back and downhill feels so good using them. I havn't used minion front on the front and back yet tho.

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would recommend some michelin DH 16, 24 or 32's. All of which are a great tyre. Also if you want to spend a bit less go the minion fronts on the front and rear in the super tacky mainly because it lasts a bit longer than the slow reezay and isn't as expensive as the 3c but still grips nicely. They are a great tyre for the price.

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not long ago i purchased a new high roller tire. and instead of putting it on the rear as planned. i decided to put it on the front, and then put my minion front thats a bit worn on the back. so far ( 1 race in perfect condishions, and another ride in the mud) the combonation has been great. the front has slipped out on 2 occasions but one was on a berm and the top of hit was all soft, and i would've expected any tire to do that. another was in the mud were the front started sliding and then i crashed, but seeing as everyone else was crashing aswell i think it was just coz of the mud.

so if you already have a wornish minion put it on the back ad high roller on the front ;). if not probally minion on front high roller on rear if both new. but i have never run 2 high rollers so that could be good aswell.

henryg

Likes Dirt
because yot also do a litthe dj and that i would go the two front minions (like 90% of replies have said!!) they are a little less agressive compared to high roller/nevagal so will be a better all rounder..

Viv92

Eats Squid
because yot also do a litthe dj and that i would go the two front minions (like 90% of replies have said!!) they are a little less agressive compared to high roller/nevagal so will be a better all rounder..
I dunno that they are less 'aggressive'. If anything the tread is grippier...

Also the fact your tyres wore out after 6 months is hardly surprising. It sounds about normal.

If you want something that will last ages Michelin DH 24's are good. I recently got one on the back of my bike. It hardly looks worn at all, and it's done about 4 K's on the road too.

bethextrem1

Likes Dirt
hey

My tyres on my dh bike are nearly bare after 6 months of solid riding :mad:and i dont know what tyres i should put on next as i dont know which tyre last longer or are more grippier for a resonable price?:confused:

i currently have kenda nevegal and they have been good but can i get better quality tyres for around the same price?i ride mostly downhill/freeride with a bit of street/dj's

Six months of solid riding! I don't think I've ever had a tire last that long when I'm on the bike regularly.

Last tyres I ran were minion F, 40a two ply wire bead as tubeless, on both the front and back. The back tyre lasted about a month, go the 42a rear.

I'm currently running Minion F, 3C two ply wire bead as tubeless, front and back. Only had one ride and yet I think they're the best tyre on the market. Only problem is that they are not cheap.

If you want a tyre that grips really well then it won't last long and if you want a tyre that lasts then you'll have problems with grip. It's a compromise, but to me I'll take grip and sacrifice tyre life and rolling resistance. I'd prefer to buy a tyre more often rather than loose the bike down the hill because of tyre that had a high durameter reading (hard compound) that could possibly destroy my bike.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Downhill tyres are overrated.
Unleash the inner weight weenie and throw on some XC tyres.
I personally reccomend Larsen TT's.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Downhill tyres are overrated.
Unleash the inner weight weenie and throw on some XC tyres.
I personally reccomend Larsen TT's.
wait until you actually start ripping onto corners and doing things fast then well see how larsens go

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Appaling im assuming.
Great for weekend warriors though, why have excess weight when it is unnecessary?
If your a pinner, then definately Minions.
Streets ahead of Kenda Nevegals.

skull

Likes Dirt
well anything but kenda got them stock on my first bike.....first time i went riding it riped to shreds and i wasnt even that good and not on a good track so i wouldnt recomend them... but the 3c's have been sweet as recomend them over anything perticuly over kenda!!

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wait until you actually start ripping onto corners and doing things fast then well see how larsens go
I'm pretty sure Lindsay Klein ran a Larsen for a while (was in an article on here) and he's definitely not slow.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it all depends what track, it could do it on a hardpack track, but as soon as it gets a little damp they will clog up with mud, and i wouldnt be surprised if you rolled one off a rim easy as

tires

id go minion fronts on front and back. ive always used them and never had a prob. and dont get 3C unless your made of money and serious about it.... ive never had a problem with my single compounds.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Larsen is beautiful for hardpack and loose over hardpack (ie pea gravel), but your spot on NH, I ran a Larsen on the rear at the state round today and it clogged like nothing else.
What type of surface are you predominately going to be riding on mate?

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i do everything, i often ride pretty much purely rocks, ride a dwelli alot so a fair whack of hardpack and alot of dust from mundaring and others

i use schwalbes and wouldnt use anything else now, curently got muddy marys but i want some big bettys soon too

Last edited: