DH riding/racing for old dudes

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm about to turn 40, have been riding XC for years and just got into DH about 6 months ago. I've always loved going down the hills as fast as possible, but am totally addicted to possibilities opened up by a full suspension bike. I've been riding a (pimped) Reign 1 and have just purchased a 2010 Glory as I want to push the envelope even more. I'm thinking about racing the VIC series next year, but have no idea whether or not I would be in the ballpark or just totally embarrass myself. I consider myself an OK rider, I have ridden all the tracks at the You Yangs, done International at Buller and the Big Hill course at Beauty. I can pretty much cope with most of this apart from a couple of things on track 10 at the Youis that have scared me a bit on a 6" bike.

If there are any other Masters class DH riders out there, I would really like some advice on the racing scene.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just rock up and ride mate. The majority of Masters are there for the fun of it , to catch up with like minded seniors and go home in one piece. Good to see the field getting bigger each season too. Only a few years ago we'd get 4 or 5 riders. Now its like 15. :)

By the sounds of it , you'll get down the tracks fine.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate I'm 36 and have been riding for a few years. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination. Races are great - there's great comaraderie etc and to be honest, unless you're one of the grommies or an elite, going fast isn't really the big deal. Sure there's some trash talking and older guys who still push, but it's a bit less serious and more about fun.

The one thing I reckon in terms of turning up to your first race is this - pick a venue and track you're familiar with. The thing that I think makes showing up to races uncomfortable when you're inexperienced is lack of familiarity. Trying a big gap or jump (with a big crowd looking on) can be intimidating. If it's a track you know and you've hit the gaps etc on it before, you won't have to worry about crowds etc. The first race I ever did was at Long Gully. I'd never ridden it before and was intimidated. The next race I did was the You Yangs back in 2006. I used to ride that tack every weekend and I loved that race (and actually got an okay result). So yeah, try a race or two at a venue you're comfortable with and you'll be surprised how much you enjoy it.

The one last thing I'll say is that when it comes time for your race run, you stop worrying about fast guys coming up behind you and you can just enjoy your run, pushing yourself as fast as you're willing and testing your skills against the clock. It's not a World Cup - give one a go and you'll enjoy it.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Thanks, some great advice there guys. I totally hear what you're saying about familiarity with a track; I feel really sketched out on gaps and jumps I haven't ridden before (when they are massive). The thing I'm finding hard about the VIC tracks is that most of them aren't able to be ridden outside of race days. So does that mean that at best I might get to walk them once and get a couple of practice runs in?

Maybe I would be better off starting somewhere like Big Hill, Buller or the You Yangs that I have ridden before and sit out the unknown numbers for the time being.

The creek gap at the Youis still gets the better of me, but I haven't picked up my new bike yet so essentially have been contemplating it on a long travel XC bike... I've been told that it's easier than the "road gap" at the bottom of Bandages which I can do no problems, so I think it's just a mental thing because it looks so massive...

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You will view riding DH totally differently once you get your DH bike, they just make any track flatter and easier to ride, your speed will increase by 20 or even 30% the first day you ride it just because they are so much plusher and have the correct geo for the job.

As far as racing goes, the whole scene is really relaxed and friendly, come to any track and race and you'll have a heap of fun. You get to ride the track all day Saturday, check out lines, even walk it if you need too, practise some more on Sunday morn and then race. You'll meet a heap of like minded people prepared to give you a hand and offer advice which is what I really like about our sport. At the end of the day you race against the clock and that's all that matters.

slowmtb

Likes Bikes
I come from NZ and at 40 am in the same boat as you. I have been riding for about two years with around 6-8 months of that being injured ( nasty DH crash ). Last month I decided to rock up to a local club event and have some fun. Turns out that the Vet classes are a heap of fun and a really low key social class.
Seriously, everyone was just stoked to have you there.
One of the guys in Vet3 ( 50+ ) won it because one other rider fell off and needed medical assistance and the other guy stayed with him because he was his mate. This gave the third Vet3 the win - the way the crowd went off you would have thought he had just won the World Championship. It was a blast with some great vibes going down :D

Go for it , you won't regret it :cool:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Sounds really fun, I used to live in ChCh and did a lot of riding but only XC. I was back there recently and took my Reign 1 and totally loved the DH trails in the Port Hills. My favorite, which was also mega-scary was that one called "Rad to the Power of Sick". I'm so glad to hear that racing is all about getting out there and having fun and that other older guys are still really into it.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go for it , just dont turn up Lycra . At the race check out the number plate you get and you`ll be able to work out the other ridder in you division , go have a chat .

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go for it , just dont turn up Lycra . At the race check out the number plate you get and you`ll be able to work out the other ridder in you division , go have a chat .
Spoken from the true ‘old’ master himself ;) haha

Is masters division over 30? If so i only just got over a yr to go :eek:

redfin

Likes Bikes
I have to say i've been contemplating entering a few races in the VDHS at the end of this year for the first time when the season starts again but now i'm convinced i will after reading this.
I was really worried about turning up first time with 50 plus riders or something and just had visions of guys telling me to get off the f@#king track cos i was in the way. I've only been riding DH for about 6 months and i'm hooked on it. I'd be in veterens and i'm just looking for more fun outside of the usual w'end rides. Hopefully i can get some pointers when i turn up for my first race w'end so i atleast don't miss my runs ha ha
I've already got some good tips from this thread so thanks to the guys that have some experience for sharing it..
Cheers.

digby69

Likes Bikes
You won't be dissapointed!!!

I'm 40, just started riding dh, & just done the last 2 VDHS rounds. I can't ride 4 shit but had a blast trying. The atmosphere is incredible, everyone is friendly & helpfull & the best thing is the taxi to the top, run after run after run after run, no push ups!!!!!!!
So, we'll see you in masters next season.

T-Rex

Template denier
That's great to hear mate. I also started DH when I was about your age. There's a few of us around this age group, several father and son combos, and other blokes who are just out for a good time.

Just turn up and race. There's always a huge variation in speed, even in the Masters categories. No one will care if you are fast or slow, just if you remember your "track manners".

The one piece of advice I would give you is to buy and wear every piece of protection you can get your hands on - you won't bounce as well as the young blokes without it.

I've been looking for an excuse to post this sequence of photos - one of my mates I was racing in Masters at the Awaba state round last year. He got straight up and kept going, thanks to his armour.

Attachments

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
If there are any other Masters class DH riders out there, I would really like some advice on the racing scene.
Go for it. I turned 40 last year and have been riding DH for about 9 months before the Sunshine Series started here in Qld this year. Hummed and ha'd about going into the first race thinking I was gonna make a goose of myself but after the first round at Beerburrum, absolutely fkn hooked. You don't have to pin it mate, just get out there and enjoy the scene. My time wasn't quick, in fact quite slow but I didn't care at the end of the day and neither did anyone else. Got some encouragment from the Elite guys too just for getting out there so yeah, you won't regret it.

Some things I learnt from my first race:

1. Get out there early and walk the track, get set up, then you can relax and enjoy the day (thanks for that tip Reidy). :)

2. Race run - same thing, get up there early and chill with all the guys to take your mind off things.

3. Don't try anything you're not ok with in your race run. Stick to your race plan.

4. Pedal, pedal pedal... and when you can't pedal any more, keep pedalling.

Think of it this way... if you don't try it you'll die wondering. That's the advice my GF gave me and she was spot on.

Good luck! :)

aceyone

Likes Dirt
The creek gap at the Youis still gets the better of me....
Just finished my first Vic-Series... and my last year in Vets. There's a bunch of great advice from other posters before me, but really don't be too stressed about which jumps/features you can/can't do (ref. 'Creek Gap'). If you're not doing it then there's more-than-likely a bunch of us that aren't doing it either. It's only embarassing if you care what other's think... and most of the crew will judge you more by the size of your grin at the end of each run rather than the size of the jumps you did on the way down.

Ozza

Eats Squid
When I first turned up to my first ever downhill race, I felt really intimadated and uncomfortable, because I wasnt really familiar with the scene. I looked around in the shuttle on the way up and when we were taking our bikes off the trailer and everyone was in matching kits and riding bling'd bikes, I thought I was going to get destroyed, on my out of date kona in a shirt and cargo shorts.

All im trying to say is, no one will judge you by what you ride, how old you are and your ability. In my class the age variance is up to around 12 years, yet every single person gets along.

The main thing is you share the same common interest as them; you love riding your bike. So dont be scared to turn up to a race, ride within your own capabilities and make some new riding friends. Best thing to do is find someone with the same category race plate as you (All in the same hundreds per class ie elite 1-99, expert 100-199 etc) and introduce yourself and I guarentee they will be happy to help you out.

slowmtb

Likes Bikes
Sounds really fun, I used to live in ChCh and did a lot of riding but only XC. I was back there recently and took my Reign 1 and totally loved the DH trails in the Port Hills. My favorite, which was also mega-scary was that one called "Rad to the Power of Sick". I'm so glad to hear that racing is all about getting out there and having fun and that other older guys are still really into it.
Yeah "rad^sick" is a cool track, I am still getting it dialed ;) . Next time your over here drop me a line and we'll head up the hills. Did you ride " flying nun" ?

LeeD

Likes Dirt
I only got into Dh 2 seasons ago ( kids race in elite now) and F#^%ing LOVE it.
Turned 50 last year so have to race masters as there seems to be a shortage of silly really old buggers to race super masters.

It seems to be more about the fun, camaraderie, trailbuilding & club involvement.

I say just go and do it, its all about having a go.

Sumo

Likes Dirt
So, if I understand you all correctly, what you are saying is that I can leave the deed to my sheepstation at home if I rock up to race?
PS aged 53 and will be riding a Santa Cruz Heckler.

slowmtb

Likes Bikes
So, if I understand you all correctly, what you are saying is that I can leave the deed to my sheepstation at home if I rock up to race?
PS aged 53 and will be riding a Santa Cruz Heckler.
If by "leave the deed to my sheepstation at home" means you will survive to tell the tale then YEP.

Just treat the whole thing as a new fun experience and ride within your abilities and all will be well :)

WARNING: It is addictive !!!